I forsee a new annoyance / problem.

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
I was thinking tonight when listening to some music on my tablet that It will be nice to have the "hey Cortana" feature on all of our devices. Then I got to thinking a bit deeper. I have two desktop computers in the house, both within 15-20 feet from each other. One is a Media PC hooked up to my living room TV, the other is my work / play machine. I also have my Windows phone, and my tablet. Now.... The problem I forsee would roll out like this.

Say I am listening to music on my media PC, browsing the web on my tablet, while having my phone in my pocket. Say a song I do not want to listen to at the time comes on and I look up and say "hey Cortana, play the next track" Well.... you can probably see where this is going. All of the devices within listening range would suddenly wake up and Cortana would be everywhere. I know the feature can be turned off, but I am thinking it would be nice to have on all the devices for different reasons.

I wonder if it would be easier to give Cortana an option to add an additional word to activate that is user changeable for example "hey Cortana (media), (tablet)" etc. So you are triggering Cortana on the proper device.

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
I am kind of snickering to myself about it. I get annoyed when I am being given directions in my car at the same time my GPS is yelling at me. I can imagine hearing Cortana saying the same thing on four devices simultaneously. kinda HAL ish if you ask me

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
Well, if I have my tablet on my lap, my media PC 10' away playing music and my phone In my pocket. I could guarantee if I was trying to get the media pc to change the song using "hey Cortana" my phone in my pocket and tablet on my lap are going to activate. And with my work PC just 10 feet away on the other side of the room, there is a good chance it too will activate.

Alain_A

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I remember being on the phone, while at my computer. I don't remember what I said but it woke up Cortana and I was trying to shut her off fast in the same time..So it was no fun..

You have more than pc...Do you have Win 10 on all of them? if yes>>>Can you do a test?>>>>>>Have 2 computers in different room so Cortana will not hear you while on 1 computer and say "Hey Cortana".....To see if, in the other room, it will bring up Cortana on that device. If it does that would be inconvenient.
That the same thing if 2 people use a computer in the same home on the same wifi..If one call Cortana will the other person will see Cortana waking up?

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
I remember being on the phone, while at my computer. I don't remember what I said but it woke up Cortana and I was trying to shut her off fast in the same time..So it was no fun..

You have more than pc...Do you have Win 10 on all of them? if yes>>>Can you do a test?>>>>>>Have 2 computers in different room so Cortana will not hear you while on 1 computer and say "Hey Cortana".....To see if, in the other room, it will bring up Cortana on that device. If it does that would be inconvenient.
That the same thing if 2 people use a computer in the same home on the same wifi..If one call Cortana will the other person will see Cortana waking up?

Unfortunately I do not have a computer running Windows 10 as I usually do not install early OS's on my needed machines, and don't have a spare pc to put it on. I will have to see if my dad has one of his laptops running it and maybe borrow it for a while and test some distances. Might be a while now, my wife and I are getting ready to list our house for sale, so it will be a very busy next couple months.

sumton

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
maybe they should give us an option to change her name to any name we want < < this will make her more personal

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I was thinking tonight when listening to some music on my tablet that It will be nice to have the "hey Cortana" feature on all of our devices. Then I got to thinking a bit deeper. I have two desktop computers in the house, both within 15-20 feet from each other. One is a Media PC hooked up to my living room TV, the other is my work / play machine. I also have my Windows phone, and my tablet. Now.... The problem I forsee would roll out like this.

Say I am listening to music on my media PC, browsing the web on my tablet, while having my phone in my pocket. Say a song I do not want to listen to at the time comes on and I look up and say "hey Cortana, play the next track" Well.... you can probably see where this is going. All of the devices within listening range would suddenly wake up and Cortana would be everywhere. I know the feature can be turned off, but I am thinking it would be nice to have on all the devices for different reasons.

I wonder if it would be easier to give Cortana an option to add an additional word to activate that is user changeable for example "hey Cortana (media), (tablet)" etc. So you are triggering Cortana on the proper device.
To be honest, this is not going to be a real issue at all.
Cortana is a "Context" related app. You will say "Hey Cortana, play next track". Your phone in your pocket should not spring to life as it can tell it's in a pocket or purse (Light Sensor. Proximity Sensor). Most likely not playing music at the time....so no next track available.
Your Tablet may show Cortana , but being able to know there is no media playing no action required.....return to sleep.

Only your Media Player will skip to next track.

Cortana should already have this worked out. Even to set Alarm or Reminder it should be able to know what device is the active device that is closest to you.

What is really going to trip you out is if they give you the ability to place a call from your tablet.....or tell Cortana on the Tablet to call a friend and your phone comes to life.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
otispit