01-31-2016 05:27 PM
50 12
tools
    10>7

By 3 versions. And many years.​
    04-27-2015 07:35 AM
    I know they don't guarantee support. But why wouldn't they include chipset that Windows 7 can support? Seems silly to me that Windows 10 can't but Windows 7 can.
    I'm thinking 10 has some new feature or otherwise under-the-hood changes that result in it not-working right on your rather old chipset or requiring some feature yours doesn't have. Windows 8.1 and Visual Studio Express worked fine on my laptop, but I couldn't use a WP emulator feature because my laptop's chips lacked a specific hardware feature.

I'm sure its not just some round table of Dr. Evil-esque employees debating which chipsets the next OS'll be incompatible with.
    04-27-2015 07:40 AM
    Two things.

A couple of specific items are required in the processor's instruction set. Older processors that don't support these won't install. This happened at Windows 8.

There's no such thing as a Pentium 386. The original Pentium was the successor to the 80486.
    xandros9 likes this.
    04-27-2015 08:17 AM
    You could spend less than $200 and get a new PC that would run it perfectly, and be faster than your dinosaur.
    04-27-2015 08:34 AM
    Really. . . .

From the Insider Program Notes:

"Some PC processors and hardware configurations arent supported byTechnical Preview, including a small number of older, 64-bit CPUs, and some 32 GB and all 16 GB devices running a compressed operating system."

Tech preview may not work -- that doesn't seem to mean that the OP's machine won't run the final version. . .

Reading is fundamental. . . .
    Federico Turban and xandros9 like this.
    04-27-2015 08:53 AM
    Understanding is more important than reading though.
    What other words could have been used to replace "Technical Preview" in that sentence? None really. Which, yes, the sentence is perhaps open to misinterpretation if over-analysed, but the message should be clear enough to understand.
    04-27-2015 09:00 AM
    "Reading is fundamental", "Understanding is more important", Ok, thanks for feedback. I'll give it all consideration it deserves.
    If MS wants more people to use W10, then broader compatibility, not less is important than previous versions-- or at least the same.
    I'm not going to change my view on this. It's interesting that so many people are ok with less options and flexibility. Is it a "deal breaker" for me? No my current computer will be fine with W10 and my dinosaur will undoubtedly stay a Windows 7 pc. So be it.
    04-27-2015 09:57 AM
    The FX-60, Socket 939, with some sweet DDR 400, is not a Windows 7 PC.

It's a Windows XP machine that has performed through the XP, Vista, and 7 years.

At a certain point, they are retiring some of your broader compatibility, mostly for security purposes. Heck, I was annoyed when 8 removed 16-bit compatibility.

Sell that FX-60 to someone with more bucks (and nostalgia) than sense, and get a lower power, equal or higher performance modern replacement that can utilize all the modern peripherals as well.

(still pining for my old A7N8X Deluxe with Athlon XP 2400 I recapped out there somewhere. Had some of the awesome Swiftech heatsinks on it, a huge passive Zalman cooler on a Radeon 9700 Pro, iirc...)
    xandros9 and 920Walker like this.
    04-27-2015 10:10 AM
    I'm probably keeping a computer or two on 7. The whole cloud login thing on 8 and later is cool. And yet, unnerving.
    04-27-2015 10:12 AM
    ..... I recapped...)
    Remember those days.... Not really so fondly. Was kind of novel to do it on the first couple of machines we had were I was working. Then it it just became "aw - eff it"
    04-27-2015 10:24 AM
    "Reading is fundamental", "Understanding is more important", Ok, thanks for feedback. I'll give it all consideration it deserves.
    If MS wants more people to use W10, then broader compatibility, not less is important than previous versions-- or at least the same.
    I'm not going to change my view on this. It's interesting that so many people are ok with less options and flexibility. Is it a "deal breaker" for me? No my current computer will be fine with W10 and my dinosaur will undoubtedly stay a Windows 7 pc. So be it.
    Your intransigence is noted. . .
    forked likes this.
    04-27-2015 10:57 AM
    Just for the heck of it, I took an old HP laptop (ZD8000) that was still functional (but not used for a few years already), figured out how to repartition it, keep the old XP system on there, and installed the Win TP in the new partition. I was surprised that it basically works ok (32 bit OS) except for a lack of a display resolution setting, but even that may improve when Win 10 matures a bit more. The TP seems to take a while to hunt around and find drivers to make everything work, but while I was looking for a driver for the old Conexant AC-97 sound card, next thing I looked, and the OS had found something somewhere! No driver for the flash media card reader yet, but other than that, device manager looks exactly correct.

For many people, this ancient laptop would still be more than enough computer for their needs. I guess I'm a nostalgia nut ;)
    04-27-2015 01:43 PM
    Your intransigence is noted. . .
    Perhaps so. Thanks, lol.
    04-27-2015 04:35 PM
    Actually, they do want everybody to upgrade. But I don't think it's reasonable to expect every piece of hardware ever created to meet the minimum requirements. If you have an Apple desktop on a PowerPC chip, 10.5 is as far as you're going. If you're on an Intel single-core, 10.6 is your last stop. Where's the outrage?

I really don't understand the mindset some folks have that they're entitled to every update from here to Judgement Day.
    Oh I had outrage about the Intel single core... I bought a macbook pro when they first when to Intel... and then they stopped supporting it after upgrading their systems to the dual core within like a year... I'm still angry about that as there really wasn't any reason to drop support for it.
    04-28-2015 12:51 PM
    W10 is focussed on supporting older hardware. It's not really viable for modern touch enabled devices and is really designed to run best on older non-touch hardware. I think we can be sure that the final release won't exclude their target market.
    04-30-2015 12:22 PM
    I am running Windows 10 pro great on a pc that was built for windows xp and it was built like 9-12 years ago so for u it has to be a hardware issue like above posts check and make sure your bios is updated or try the 32bit even tho I am running 64bit doesn't mean urs will run it without having ur same setup not much I can give u on help for this besides what others have giving :P
    04-30-2015 03:43 PM
    W10 is focussed on supporting older hardware
    Where have you got that from?
    xandros9 likes this.
    04-30-2015 04:57 PM
    I know they don't guarantee support. But why wouldn't they include chipset that Windows 7 can support? Seems silly to me that Windows 10 can't but Windows 7 can.
    At 1st i couldn't tell if you were kidding or being serious, then I realized you were serious!

Did you have an issue when Windows 7 no longer supported Twain devices? DirectX 5 video cards? 3DFX cards? SCSI? Where systems started coming without Printer or Serial ports?

You cannot maintain progress and keep 100% compatibility with every device on the market for the last 10-20 years. Also, if it's a matter of drivers, then it's up to the manufacturer, not Microsoft, to add compatibility. If your system came with Windows 7, then you still have a really good chance of getting Windows 10, you just have to wait for it to RTM to be 100% sure.

I remember numerous time when installing Windows also meant I had to hunt down device drivers to add during installation for Windows to see my raid setups or data chipsets. Is this Microsoft's fault too? They must not want me to add my 16 drive raid array to Windows! Nope.

I apologize if i seem a bit harsh, but there comes a time to let old hardware go, or just not upgrade it.
    xandros9 and k72 like this.
    04-30-2015 05:12 PM
    So I finally decided to try out Windows 10 on my old AMD FX-60 machine running Windows 7 Ultimate 64. This prompted a "compareexchange128 " error? Really MS? Evidently, if you don't have the "correct" legacy hardware you can't upgrade? Sounds like they really don't want everyone to upgrade. That's a very interesting strategy: Leave out part of your user base. After this, I may hold off updating my newer machines as this seems like unnecessary nonsense from MS.

P.S. - Sorry for the rant. lol
    Windows 8.1 x64bit and onward require the CMPXCHG16B instruction set, which unfortunately your processor does not support. Highest you can upgrade to is Windows 8 unfortunately...

Doesn't Windows 10 come in 32bit? Usually less instruction sets are required, may want to give that a shot!
    04-30-2015 05:21 PM
    Where have you got that from?
    It's obvious. W10's touch interface has been devalued and the mouse and pointer interface expanded. Since the touch experience is inferior to Win8 then why would anyone move any touch devices onto a worse OS solution? So, clearly the focus of W10 is for pre-touch devices. That being the case, it would be crazy for MS to restrict their target market further.
    05-01-2015 06:48 AM
    Strange conclusion.
    xandros9 likes this.
    05-01-2015 07:06 PM
    It's obvious. W10's touch interface has been devalued and the mouse and pointer interface expanded. Since the touch experience is inferior to Win8 then why would anyone move any touch devices onto a worse OS solution? So, clearly the focus of W10 is for pre-touch devices. That being the case, it would be crazy for MS to restrict their target market further.
    No Bro; Windows 10 is supossed to work with ACTUAL Hardware and newer Hardware. The "Windows Hello" Feature is probably not gonna work with most actual Hardware. On the other side, the Tablet Mode in Windows 10 Build 10074 is very very similar with the "Touch" and App Interface in Windows 8.1, most possible in future Builds, Windows 10 is going to have a lot more capabilities for Touch Only Devices.

And for the Topic; Hardware gets old, you buy a new PC, it becames obsolte the next day if something even better came out. That's the life in technnology and it's somewhat sad, but it's the reallity.
    I got to use a really old HP Pavillion dv4000 Intel Celeron from 2004. That one was my war machine, it was my partner for a long time and for most part of my Enginering studies, but it becames practically obsolete for modern therms; Windows 7 worked really really nice in that big dinosaur, but when I try to install Windows 8, the Intel Graphic Chip, the infamous 910 Express Family Chipset, was not suported for Windows 8 and there was no means to install the driver, not even doing some magic and recoding tricks, so, I was never ever gonna really use Windows 8 on that Laptop and that was all, the poor old thing just die the last year, a couple of days after I buy a new PC and save all the Data that was in it's old 40GB HDD.

So, if time passes, you must be prepared to see the day when the Software is not gonna suppor your Hardware, and that's gonna going to happen meaby the next year with the older Windows Phones Devices, wich probably are not gonna get the next versin of Windows 10, because hardware wise are uncapable to do some things compared to newer devices.
    xandros9 likes this.
    05-02-2015 02:30 PM
    This thread is proof that Microsoft needs to find a way to limit tech previews to actual developers. The incessant whining about the something not working in a beta is going to make my head explode. And not a design change mind you but just something that doesn't work in a particular instance which they provided a specific warning about.

If you can't handle something not working, don't try to install technical previews.
    Yazen likes this.
    05-03-2015 09:14 AM
    This thread is proof that Microsoft needs to find a way to limit tech previews to actual developers. The incessant whining about the something not working in a beta is going to make my head explode. And not a design change mind you but just something that doesn't work in a particular instance which they provided a specific warning about.

If you can't handle something not working, don't try to install technical previews.
    ^
    +925

Leaked builds always pop up in private trackers.

95% of people on this site think W10 is the same OS across all devices lol
    05-03-2015 01:21 PM
    I've seen a lot of criticism of the OP in this thread, but seems the OP was spot on - This is exactly the bug Microsoft should have fixed during the beta, but failed to do so - Now I have Windows 7 users complaining about the constant demands to upgrade coming through their system, to an operating system that should run quite acceptably on their system, but does not.

Microsoft could have included more information ( eg, "Sorry, we screwed up. You need to back up all your data, install windows 10 32 bit and then re-purchase 32 bit versions of all of your applications... Oh and pull out all that extra ram you purchased last year and sell it on ebay - it's worthless now." ) or it could have put in a workaround. Or it could drop the nagging for Windows 7 users, including the automatic upgrade feature stuck in an infinite loop. Interestingly, I know this hardware is supported under Windows 10 because it was originally one of the BETA program machines, way back at the end of 2014 and had no problems since until the hard drive failed, and it dropped back to a secondary hard drive that was left in the machine that was running an original Windows 7.

This is still an issue, and is affecting users being prompted to upgrade. And it does not manifest until the end of the install process.

Well done Microsoft - you screwed up.
    01-31-2016 05:27 PM
50 12