Don't like the round profile pictures :(

Joshua Jackson

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
One benefit of the circle picture is that, in the XBOX app, my profile picture is a tiny square image within a grey circle.
Hehehe...
That's much better than a fully-visible square picture.
JJ

Joshua Jackson

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
what will happen to my pinned contacts? Am I going to get round tiles (contacts) mixed in with my square tiles (app)?
Another Windows Phone user, that I know, installed an app that creates circle tiles.
I thought it was abhorrent.
He thought it was cool.
This was with Windows Phone 8.1, before I saw all the Windows 10 circles.
JJ

Joshua Jackson

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Wow, three posts in a row...

Circle contacts pictures have no place in an OS that's supposed to be professional.
I think the nail has been, squarely, hit on the head.
I've always viewed mobile Windows (and, to a lesser extent, Blackberry) as "professional" and iOS/Android and "consumer".
Obviously, the business world hasn't agreed with my idea (every pilot, that I know, has an iPad in the cockpit).
I've always viewed my phone as a productivity tool; an extension of my computer.
JJ

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Skype for Business has it too. But Skype for Business makes all their icons round, which is counter to Microsoft's statement about making the people stand out by being round. But Skype has always felt awkwardly out of place in the Microsoft family.

RJ Priest

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
There should be a system wide toggle to switch between round and square profile pictures. Please give the user a choice!!

I'd like to think that it would be easy to implement. I'd assume that the OS is simply applying a circular opacity matte - just turn it off.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Skype for Business has it too. But Skype for Business makes all their icons round, which is counter to Microsoft's statement about making the people stand out by being round. But Skype has always felt awkwardly out of place in the Microsoft family.
I don't have Skype for Business, but the regular Skype for desktop has round profile pictures. I don't mind them.

mjyumping

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Round looks better since we are already used to the square one for too long, I think it's the best time to try something new. Also now square one makes me think it's like a 1x1 or 2x2 I.D card picture

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I don't have Skype for Business, but the regular Skype for desktop has round profile pictures. I don't mind them.

In that the buttons are round too. Which I don't actually mind. It's just counter to the concept of making the people stand out from the app. My biggest issue with the round pictures is that some of the crops just come out bad.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thehinac