Using mouse & touch together, does W10 support this?

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
I don't have a device I can dedicate to testing this OS (save my L820) and what I've read so far has not indicated W10 is going to be suitable for my needs, but anything is possible so I am looking for a little guidance.

I use both touch and mouse at the same time on my desktop (with my Logitech T650 5 point touch interface) and my laptop and tablet (with 10 point & 5 point touch interfaces, respectively).

So, when I run the desktop app I use my mouse (but swipe via touch) and when not running the desktop app I use touch, but may use a usb keyboard (and sometimes even a mouse) at the same time if I feel the need. On the desktop I often use the touch interface with one hand and the mouse simultaneously with the other. I really value the seamless nature of Win8 in this regard (if only I could connect a second mouse and get two mouse pointers at once... heaven!).

I keep hearing about the need to constantly switch between touch and mouse mode in Win10 which sounds rather restrictive. Especially now the taskbar active packages are now removed if in touch mode? Ouch!

Can I set it to use mouse mode when I launch the desktop app and touch mode when I'm not using the desktop? Or will I have to keep fannying around with the settings every 5 minutes? Also, when in touch mode is the touch keyboard still suppressed when a usb or ps2 keyboard is attached? This is key, so I really need a bit of guidance. Can you advise?

Ta chums!

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I think you're confusing desktop vs. tablet mode here. These two modes just determine how apps (and even Win32 programs) are displayed and handled. They do influence a couple of other aspects too, but nothing that would have to do with either mouse or touch. I'm using a good combination of both, mouse and touch on my Surface Pro 3. And it doesn't make any difference whether I do this in pure desktop or tablet mode. Tbh, you won't feel any difference in comparison to Windows 8(.1) in this regard.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Well, what triggered this question (though it has been building for a while) was today's article that the active apps will be removed from the task bar in touch mode. Since I have been imagining simply jamming on touch mode (I love Metro and will be using it start screen style, not start menu style) that approach will not be viable if it breaks the task bar for mouse use. So it seems I will be reliant on this switching mechanism and that's why I'm trying to understand how best to automate it.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Wazzo. Thanks for that tip. Perhaps W10 will work out for me after all? I know, sounds like a bit of a leap but you never know.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro