Do you want to pin Interactive Tiles (widgets) to desktop?

anon(5818411)

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
If yes or no, explain your reason!!!

I just made a post on windows feedback. Please add your constructive comments in.

Type any part of this in Windows Feedback and Me Too it please
"
SUGGESTION Desktop / All other issues

Let us Pin Interactive Tiles to desktop.
1. I would like to see a simple lightweight OneNote to replaces my "Sticky Note (not sure why the sticky note widget is in my task bar)". This would just be for simple tasks and due date but it should fully sync with calendar and onenote. Google Keep and Wunderlist UI is perfect for this kind of thing.
2. Calendar (month/week/agenda view) I would like to see my next appointments and make them without having to open the app.
3. Desktop gadgets windows 7 are what a lot of people are asking for.
4. Third party uses for widgets/interactive tiles: Spotify Playlist, Inputing food on My Fitness Pal, Weather, RSS Feeds/feedly (News)

Tiles to me are kind of useless because the whole point is to not open the app at all.
"

I would like your guys feedback!!

nmercy

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I personally do not want to pin interactive tiles to the desktop, but that's because I use my desktop as a dumping ground for files... As long as the functionality can be found/accessed in the start menu/notification center I'll be good.
That being said, it's always good to have options so I would not object to having the ability to put interactive widgets on the desktop, just don't really have a use for them myself.

anon(5818411)

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
I personally do not want to pin interactive tiles to the desktop, but that's because I use my desktop as a dumping ground for files... As long as the functionality can be found/accessed in the start menu/notification center I'll be good.
That being said, it's always good to have options so I would not object to having the ability to put interactive widgets on the desktop, just don't really have a use for them myself.

Everyone has a use for widgets/ tiles in some way. What are your interests/stuff you do on your computer. I can easily find a solution for you.

If you own one of the billion+ android phones sold you have most likely used widget to up your productivity in some way.

Don't you think tiles right now are completely useless? If not, explain your uses.

Good example of Tiles being useless is seeing Win8 sales record, they shoved it in your face and people "hated" tiles with a passion.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Bringing back what would basically be a development of Win7 gadgets is unlikely I think. MS killed them quite a while back now and they were never very popular. Tiles on the Start Screen have been far more useful and popular. So long as they can get that full apps list out of the way, I don't think there will be much drive to bring back gadgets.

nmercy

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Everyone has a use for widgets/ tiles in some way. What are your interests/stuff you do on your computer. I can easily find a solution for you.

If you own one of the billion+ android phones sold you have most likely used widget to up your productivity in some way.

Don't you think tiles right now are completely useless? If not, explain your uses.

Good example of Tiles being useless is seeing Win8 sales record, they shoved it in your face and people "hated" tiles with a passion.

I think you may have misinterpreted what I said... I want interactive tiles, I just have no use for them on my desktop and would rather have them in the start menu and as part of the notification system.

The current tiles aren't completely useless, they just only provide half the functionality, which is the information portion, however they still rely on you to open the app to interact with them... which I hope will change in the near future like some of the early mock ups for W10 showed.

anon(5818411)

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
Bringing back what would basically be a development of Win7 gadgets is unlikely I think. MS killed them quite a while back now and they were never very popular. Tiles on the Start Screen have been far more useful and popular. So long as they can get that full apps list out of the way, I don't think there will be much drive to bring back gadgets.

i actually don't care for gadgets, i'd rather have a onenote simple task widget to replace the crappy sticky note, calendar agenda view that i can also input appointments, my fitness pal so i can input food without going to the site or app, weather (like above picture), spotify playlist so i don't need to go to the spotify app and etc. There are so many uses for widgets, I wouldn't categorize them as gadgets since they looked prehistoric.

Tiles were/are NOT popular, they were actually one of the main reasons why Win8 went downhill from day one. Especially boot to start screen on a desktop was probably the stupidest thing the company to do for desktop users. Win8 didn't start selling until 8.1 which is when you didn't have to see any of those stupid tiles anymore if you didn't want to since it boot to desktop. Everyone started downloading Classic Shell (25+ million downloads which is 1/8 of Win8 population, i'm sure the rest of the people would download it if they heard of it) to get away from tiles even more.

I'm sure the 1+billion android users that are using windows would love a computer OS with widgets. Since most android phones come with stock widgets that are used for productivity, entertainment or social apps.

Not sure what microsoft was thinking when they invented tiles, it's like they weren't finished or just half a*sed

Last edited:

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Yes to interactive live tiles. No to pinning them on the desktop.
As someone said, MS killed the widgets/gadgets, and there's a reason for it - they were bad.

bluedot

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Yes! I definitely would like the option to pin interactive live tiles to the desktop. I like the live tile concept of showing relevant information without the need to launch an app. I also like having them in plain sight compared to hiding them in the start menu where the live tile info can be easily forgotten. Even if they aren't interactive I still would want them pinned to the desktop due to the data being displayed through them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
babukapyar