One thing I wish Windows would do that it doesn't...

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
One feature I have always wanted. Its becoming a more needed feature for me. To th point where I would switch OS for this feature in the coming year.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
If ms could include slipt screen on windows phone for phones with 4.5 inch screen and upwards

What is slipt screen?
Wow, it can be confusing to have the name of the operating system for computer, tablet, and phone all the same. I thought we were just discussing the computer? They are converging but the required feature set will always be different for different uses.

Edit: Oh, "split screen"!

Last edited:

wiederman

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
I was thinking this same thing, the ability to answer and receive text messages and phone calls on a windows device would be amazing

ygtgngr

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Lenovo has a software named Yoga Phone Companion. It came with Yoga 2 Pro. It allows this feature to be used between android devices and Yoga. But no WP support.

Luuthian

Mar 20, 2015
Visit site
It sounds like MS simply hasn't built the network for such a thing happen. Like xandros9 said it's probably a matter of priorities. It might also simply be that they haven't decided how to best integrate such a service. Do they do it through Skype? Do they somehow tie it into the OS like Apple? What about multiple hardware configurations like Laura mentioned, in which case Skype would be the best answer? Do they create an entirely new service and further complicate things?

This is obviously more of a hurdle for MS than for Apple because of the open nature of their software. Even Android had complications forever until they finally managed to tie Hangouts together with Lollipop, and even then it's not a perfect system. Apple's been the only company to really nail it.

Joshua Jackson

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Isn't the biggest problem, here, that we're talking about two different things?
Text messages are SMS.
That's something that your carrier handles.
iMessage/Skype/any other server-side messaging system would be more aligned with MMS.
That's a data service that would require an app or OS-level integration.

Personally, I hate when people send text via MMS (group messages, for instance).
If you're sending a picture, use MMS.
If you're sending plain text, use SMS.
I don't think the operating system has access to SMS, until it is downloaded to the device.
That's why outlook.com could view text messages that you already had or sent.
But it wouldn't show new messages, if your phone died or was lost.
JJ

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon