Remote desktop for windows 10

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I've had the Remote Desktop app for WP8.1 on my 1520 and the iOS version on my iPad both working just fine on the last three builds of the Win10 TP. One thing I've noticed, is you have to use the local IP address for the "name" of the PC you're connecting to rather than the computer name itself. Try that and see what happens.

David Feifer

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I have never had an issue remoting out of a windows pc, but I can never seem to get connected remoting in to one. I can make it as far as entering in my username and password, local or domain, but when it should be loading the desktop I just get a black screen with cursor which sits like that for 3-4 minutes then disconnects.

Richard Culverhouse

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I've had the Remote Desktop app for WP8.1 on my 1520 and the iOS version on my iPad both working just fine on the last three builds of the Win10 TP. One thing I've noticed, is you have to use the local IP address for the "name" of the PC you're connecting to rather than the computer name itself. Try that and see what happens.

How would one find the IP address of the machine in windows 10...?

N_Studios

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
I got RD to work in older builds. I believe 10041 was the last one that I got it to work in. Since then, it's been completely senile. I can get TeamViewer to work just fine, but that comes with its own problems too.

N_Studios

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site

I know that's how you connect if the system being controlled and the system controlling the host are connected to the same SSID, but do you still need to enter the IP address for the host, even if they're both on the same SSID?

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
I was happy with the latest build and so I installed TP on my second machine as well. While the second machine couldnt RD to the first machine it worked the other way round with the second machine when it had WIN 7, 8pro and 8.1. So after updating to win 10 on the second one all the connections are gone. I can see the machine on the file explorer but when I select it and try connecting with remote connection, I get the dialouge box with 3 "possible" reasons for the failure.

After going through loads of videos turtorials and what not. I have noticed few things that are in the tutorials but not on my machines. Not sure why!
The first one is allowing RD through firewall. In order to enable it RD should be in the list but it is not.

The second one would be in system properties where there is an option under remote assistance to allow RD connection with authentication, on my machine there is no such thing.

When I usually go through the file explorer>network>select the target machine> connect with remote desktop, I tried the other way where you invoke the remote desktop app and tried the IP address thing when Mr Ed mentioned earlier even that doesnt work.

Not that I use the machines for work or anything, it would just be handy. My first machine is a 32bit while the second one is a 64bit. Does it really matter?

Anyone with solutions?

LeiChat

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I haven't been able to get the WP8.1 app to work on my 1520 even using the IP address of my PC running Windows 8.1 and now Windows 10. :(

I was able to use the Microsoft Remote Desktop app on my macbook to connect to the PC while it had Win 8.1 but since upgrading to Windows 10 it's not connecting. Double checked the settings post upgrade and it's still allowing connections.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss