Forced into a reservation?

areithropos

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
It's not subtle, not subtle in the slightest. Subtle would be fine. These are not 'mistakes' as it is obvious that people don't enjoy adware. This is a tactic for the benefit of the company over the customers. ... The fact that other companies are doing this does not make it more acceptable.

I remember Win7 being advertised as 'Your Windows' because it was designed based on user input and requirements. With Win10, MS appears to be serious about staging a fight back.

A clarification: I called it subtle because they could have blatantly said: Upgrade or be gone, we will not much longer support this old thing you use as OS.

I called it a mistake because their doing was not wise as much as I can understand that they want to keep some things hidden as to prevent some users from meddling too much with the system.

And lastly, there was plenty of opportunity to give some input for the new Windows; but there is the global wish to make Windows more plain and clean and to keep every symbol simple and I think that is the point where Microsoft wants to make their own thing to distinguish their product from others in a way they want to. (But still they took user feedback into their consideration to a certain degree.)

Spectrum90

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
Inform, yes. Force, no. There is a line between these two positions and it is not a particularly fine one. I'm not saying don't tell anyone about W10, I'm not saying it should be made tough to install. I'm just saying don't fight customers for making up their own minds.

It's not being forced. The user has to consent to pre-download the update and then again to install it.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
A clarification: I called it subtle because they could have blatantly said: Upgrade or be gone, we will not much longer support this old thing you use as OS.

I called it a mistake because their doing was not wise as much as I can understand that they want to keep some things hidden as to prevent some users from meddling too much with the system.

And lastly, there was plenty of opportunity to give some input for the new Windows; but there is the global wish to make Windows more plain and clean and to keep every symbol simple and I think that is the point where Microsoft wants to make their own thing to distinguish their product from others in a way they want to. (But still they took user feedback into their consideration to a certain degree.)

It was subtle on the way that a punch in the face is more subtle that a revolver to the guts. Still not welcome.

I see your meaning. I agree, it is a big mistake for MS to go the Google route.

They may be seeking feedback, but my point is that they are trying to remove control from the end user and pull it back towards Redmond. This issue is an example, the new W10 forced Windows Updates system is another. The intentional obfuscation in this process says it all.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
It's not being forced. The user has to consent to pre-download the update and then again to install it.

But if you don't pre-register you get hassled adware style until you do, or until you find a way to remove the offending adware with helpful third-party assistance from people like WC. That is a degree of force that I find offensive.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
These arguments are not far fetched, the issues are demonstrably happening now. This is exactly the path Google went down and the result is the need to constantly consider what the company is trying to sneak past the customer. Not something I appreciate. You think I should?

This thread has been exceptionally focussed and on topic. Until your post, attempting to turn this into a discussion about discussions rather than the topic at hand.

Back to the topic.

I agree with the method Microsoft is using to make people aware of the update.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
They're taking the direction of Apple and Chrome OS. While their may be hiccups, in the long-run this is showing to be more beneficial. Such as for security reasons. As an example, OS X's most used OS right now is the latest, 10.10. The same with iOS. There's a great adoption rate to newer OSes. In contrast, for Windows, the most used OS is still Win7.

Considering that Win7 mainstream support already end it... This is a bit serious. Win8.1, without Update 1, also has limited update until you get Update 1... Etc. This is more of an industry trend and consumer demand than an MS trend (they're just playing catch up). As an example, ChromeOS already makes 25% of laptop sales. Yikes for MS!

So are you suggesting Microsoft should have forced Windows 7 users to upgrade to Windows 8? After all it was promoted as being more secure. I'm sure that would have gone down well with Win 7 users......

Charles Brown8

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
You chose to install the update that provides you the option for the free upgrade, either when you set up windows updates on your PC or by manually selecting to install the update. And by doing so you elected to be notified that the free upgrade is available to you.

If there is anybody at fault here, it is you for not reading the release notes for the update.

Right on another out of context thread in my opinion.. Since when has a os update notification become adware? Most people that I know know how to turn their puter on start facebook and turn it off and that is it. Too many people take for granted they are tech buffs and assume everyone else in the world does the same.. The majority are just plain jane and probably would not even know the free upgrade available without the notification... Whew... Microsoft can hardly ever do anything right on this site lol..

Spectrum90

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
But if you don't pre-register you get hassled adware style until you do, or until you find a way to remove the offending adware with helpful third-party assistance from people like WC. That is a degree of force that I find offensive.

How is it a hassle? It's just a little icon that sit in the taskbar. Most users won't take decision immediately, so the icon is there as a shortcut.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I kind of agree with the OP. I will most times take a quick look at the descriptions of the updates I install on my PC, so I will know which are must have for my Acer W3 Tablet. I do not recall seeing any info that a Nag screen/Icon would show up.

I know I do not have to do anything now, but it is a bit jarring to have a pop up show up unexpectedly.

At that it is only the start of June....if the news is true, release date will not be to the end of July....a bit early to start nag screening me.

Why not do this mid July closer to release date???

paulsalter

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Can anyone post a screenshot of the pop-ups or nag screens they keep getting

I only have a tiny icon in my system tray that does nothing unless I click on it

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
Op, I fully agree with you, there should be a "No thanks" button that stops all notifications and removes the icon from the bottom tray. I will update to W10 eventually, I just don't want to be bugged about it.

Wbutchart1

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
And the lack of a 'bog off' option? Not simply a charitable turn to help the technologically challenged, I think. There are many ways to advertise, and many ways to make upgrade easy. Adware is not one of them.

I can be peeved about many things simultaneously, from the pharmaceutical industry's attempts to hold the world to ransom over antibiotics to the lack of sugar in my tea. With the advantage of a human brain, having one thought does not preclude my having another.
I'm just dumbfounded by your extreme sensitivity to a box! But hey......

I personally think that is EXACTLY why the prompt is there. Most don't go on forums, or read tech sites, most are very likely entierly clueless that this is being offered to them for free. The prompt will let them know and allow them more use out their system. Why it's caused such distress or even led to a topic discussing it bewilders me.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
It's all a part of MS' plan of shoving W10 in your face. It's annoying but it works. I like that they even put a hamburger menu in there to warn you what is to come.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
A hamburger menu was already there in Windows 1.0, so basically it is very native to Windows.

But isn't to modern Windows users. I'm on 8.1 and not one app or program has them or needed to have them. MS deciding that we must suddenly have them everywhere would be hilarious if it wasn't so sad and pathetic.

mj0

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
While I've stated that I disagree with Microsoft's methodology I would't go as far as calling it a hassle. Since I'm running Windows 8.1 Enterprise on one laptop and Windows 10 TP on the other I'm not seeing the notification myself but my understanding is that it doesn't open automatically over and over again until you concede and accept the inevitable but instead it sits there quietly in your tray not really doing anything. So yes, I disagree with the way they're automatically installing this so-called "update" onto every computer on the one hand, but on the other I don't consider an additional icon in my tray a hassle. Antivirus software that keeps popping up randomly with either random bloated/made-up stats about how awesome it did last week/month/year in protection you from the evil that is "t3h int3rnet!!!111" or reminders to install the company's other, completely useless or even harmfull software is a hassle. An icon that quietly sits there not doing anything until curiosity kills the cat and I click it? Not a hassle.

Also, I absolutely agree with tgp about regular users not noticing notifications. My wife is a prime specimen thereof, that thing would have to be blinking red and yellow while playing an annoying screetching sound in order for her to notice anything at all. She's had an update notification from Apple Software Update in her taskbar (highlighted!), a Windows Update notification in her tray reminding her to install Windows updates, a Java update notification that pops up every time she logs in, and she's had these sitting there for weeks. Literally. tgp is absolutely right - if Microsoft wouldn't take the in-your-face approach regular people would never notice.

mj0

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
Oh, one more thing. Can you weirdos please stop harrassing everybody with your "the hamburger menu is so eeeevil!!!" in every other thread? We get it. You hate it. We, on the other hand, don't give a sh*t. Period.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes