Will I be able to use Cortana on a Lumia 640 in Los Angeles?

Raymond Lavertue

Jun 27, 2015
Visit site
I have a Nokia Lumia 635 and haven't been able to use Cortana in Los Angeles. Its apparently not available in my region, unless I'm wrong and it is.

My new Lumia 640 was delivered today although its still boxed. Will this upgrade, if it is one, make any difference and allow me to run Cortana?

Any enlightenment on the topic of Cortana in Los Angeles would be very much appreciated. As would information on how to turn off autocorrect here. Cortana keeps getting changed to Fortuna and Lumia to Lumina.

Last edited:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Hi Raymond and welcome to WindowsCentral.

What version of Windows Phone are you running on your 635?

What region and language are you using? If it's US English, you should have Cortana.

Do you have location settings on? Cortana requires location settings.

Yes, your 640 should have Cortana available provided you use US English and have location settings on.

Raymond Lavertue

Jun 27, 2015
Visit site
Thank you very much Laura. Its a pleasure to be here.

I'm using Windows 8.1 on my Lumia 635.

Based on your reply I checked the settings on my 635 and my language was set to United Kingdom English, so I thought that might have been the issue.

Location services are switched to on.

Then I realized that Cortana is not in my App list and never has been. Could this mean she is not installed on my phone, and could this be because my 635 is an international version (purchased on Amazon)?

I purchased my still boxed Lumia 640 from the online Microsoft Store.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Thank you very much Laura. Its a pleasure to be here.

I'm using Windows 8.1 on my Lumia 635.

Based on your reply I checked the settings on my 635 and my language was set to United Kingdom English, so I thought that might have been the issue.

Location services are switched to on.

Then I realized that Cortana is not in my App list and never has been. Could this mean she is not installed on my phone, and could this be because my 635 is an international version (purchased on Amazon)?

I purchased my still boxed Lumia 640 from the online Microsoft Store.
Raymond, perhaps this link might help. I'm not sure about international devices, since I've only used domestic AT&T branded devices.

However, your 640 should have Cortana available out of the box, since it was purchased domestically from a Microsoft Store.

Raymond Lavertue

Jun 27, 2015
Visit site
It seems that my international version Lumina 635 has Speech functionality, but not Cortana.

If it wasn't 12:12 a.m. PDT I would inbox my Microsoft Store purchased 640.

Thank you again, Laura.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
It seems that my international version Lumina 635 has Speech functionality, but not Cortana.

If it wasn't 12:12 a.m. PDT I would inbox my Microsoft Store purchased 640.

Thank you again, Laura.
Raymond, I've asked other folks I know who have experience with unlocked international devices for their help. Hopefully we will be able to solve your Cortana issue on your 635.

Otherwise, I hope your 640 arrives soon.

Raymond Lavertue

Jun 27, 2015
Visit site
Thank you Laura. I would like to find a definite answer regarding why my 635 doesn't have Cortana.

My new 640 has been delivered. I will be unboxing it after I have a cup of coffee.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hello Raymond,

I have a Lumia 1520 from Latin America (generic - no Country assigned). I am using it here in the United States and my Cortana is just fine.

There are a combination of settings needed for Cortana to work. In the US: Region needs to be set to United States, Speech set to English (United States) and Language set to English (United States). In the case of the Language setting it needs to be at the TOP of the list of Language packs you have downloaded.

If you need to alter any settings to comply, then you also have to follow this with a reboot. Do not do a Soft Reset!!! The phone will forget it was making the change. Power Down and then Power Up again. Cortana should now appear in your Apps list.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...vailable/1b94c48b-20a4-483f-8aee-3fde582aecd4

tedj101

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
Hello Raymond,

I have a Lumia 1520 from Latin America (generic - no Country assigned). I am using it here in the United States and my Cortana is just fine.

There are a combination of settings needed for Cortana to work. In the US: Region needs to be set to United States, Speech set to English (United States) and Language set to English (United States). In the case of the Language setting it needs to be at the TOP of the list of Language packs you have downloaded.

If you need to alter any settings to comply, then you also have to follow this with a reboot. Do not do a Soft Reset!!! The phone will forget it was making the change. Power Down and then Power Up again. Cortana should now appear in your Apps list.

]

I have a Lumia 640 XL from Latin American and it came with Cortana and it works just fine - once I changed the language from Mexican Spanish to American English.

<TED>

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon