New Office Apps - Using with Mouse+Keyboard

The19thD0CT0R

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Soooo, one thing I need to figure out when I install 10 is what I am going to do about Office. I currently have a *ahem* "suspect" version of 2013 running, but I want to go legit. So, I was considering Office 365. However, I am of course intrigued by the free apps. I know they do not have the full features of 365, but that probably doesn't matter much, I am just looking at pretty basic creating and editing abilities, which these supposedly have, and if I do run into stuff I need to do, I can always sign up for 365. Not interested in the free online versions, BTW.

Anyway, for people who have used the new apps, is there any functionality you have come across not available in them that would maybe compel a casual user to 365? Second question: how functional are they with mouse and keyboard on the desktop? I know they are "designed for touch", but are they annoying to use non-touch in any way?

Just looking for some opinions from those who have used, thanks!

Don Geronimo

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
When it comes to basic to intermediate needs, I've found the Word, Excel, and Powerpoint Universal apps to be quite usable. The only times I found them to be really that limiting is when I needed to use, record, or create macros in Excel. The controls do seem a little big when using them with a keyboard and mouse, but I don't find them annoying. The autosave is also very handy for me.

Note, though, that the Universal apps will require a 365 subscription to edit/create on PCs and tablets above 10.1". Otherwise they can only be used for viewing. Note, too, that you don't get Outlook or Access, if that matters to your use case.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3