Hey Cortana and Word Definitions

OwenDL

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Hey all! I'm just making this thread to see if anyone else has experienced how awesome Cortana is on W10 on a desktop machine. I started to use 'Hey Cortana' and looking up word definitions and I was absolutely blown away.

- 'Hey Cortana' never messed up once. There was one point where it googled 'hey cortana' but that was once out of about 15 tries. My default microphone was my webcam about 3-4 feet away from me and it was able to pick up everything I was saying flawlessly. I don't think I ever had a single time where she mis-heard me and everything messed up.

The word recognition and pronunciation is fantastic. I was asking for the definitions of words like 'Superfluous', 'Taxonomy' and 'Nomenclature'. Even with these more complex words she was able to recognize them perfectly and then read back the definition in a clear and understandable way. I compared Cortana's word definitions to Siri's on a relatives iPhone and Cortana easily wins in terms of sounding non-robotic.

I was also able to have a family member come in and use Hey Cortana and then ask for another definition-- this also worked flawlessly, which surprised me because it means it doesn't have to get calibrated to your personal voice, like on Windows Phone.

I may be late to the party but Cortana for Desktop is a complete and total powerhouse. She's made incredible advances in how she sounds, go give her a test!

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I have not yet loaded Windows 10 on my laptop, but seeing as I am addicted to "hey Cortana" on my WP, there is no doubt the same will be true. Can't wait. Cortana is tremendously useful. A powerhouse. Great to hear about good outcome on PC. Thanks for the post!

Rasetech

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
I was also able to have a family member come in and use Hey Cortana and then ask for another definition-- this also worked flawlessly, which surprised me because it means it doesn't have to get calibrated to your personal voice, like on Windows Phone.

Can be good and bad. What if I don't want that Cortana can be used by anyone in the room.

ChemEngr

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
^there's a setting in win10 to only respond to you. I don't know how well it works though since I haven't played with 'hey cortana' much yet.

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
^there's a setting in win10 to only respond to you. I don't know how well it works though since I haven't played with 'hey cortana' much yet.

Just adding on to that it works brilliantly - now my brother can't yell "Hey, Cortana" when I'm in the middle of a game :p

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes