The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
07-25-2015 08:19 AM
27 12
tools
    Just curious, I joined the Windows Insider program, but I never installed any of the preview builds. Does anyone know if I'll be able to upgrade to Windows 10 on July 29th? I cannot find any definitive information about those that are part of the program, but didn't actually install any of the builds.
    07-22-2015 01:30 PM
    I don't know for sure, but I doubt it. I think the final version will come to insiders as a normal update via Windows Update, so you won't get it together with the insiders if you're not on a preview build.
    07-22-2015 01:41 PM
    I'm thinking that too, but was wondering if MS was going to turn on the ability to install it via the Windows Insider web page (like you would do the first time you installed a preview build)
    07-22-2015 01:45 PM
    I don't know for sure, but I expect so. I couldn't persuade my 8.1 install to get the update over Windows Update as it wouldn't show, so I downloaded the ISO as per the Insider Programme site's instructions and fed it the Tech Preview key. If the final version comes through Windows Update only then that would mean I get a free licence and can install my 8.1 pro with its key on another PC and then update that too. Somehow I don't think that's how it's going to work.
    ven07 likes this.
    07-22-2015 01:47 PM
    I'm thinking that too, but was wondering if MS was going to turn on the ability to install it via the Windows Insider web page (like you would do the first time you installed a preview build)
    I'm sure they'll indeed make that possible again, but I have no idea whether that'll be on July 29 or later.
    07-22-2015 01:47 PM
    I'm sure they'll indeed make that possible again, but I have no idea whether that'll be on July 29 or later.
    Probably later
    Japser likes this.
    07-22-2015 02:31 PM
    Probably later
    Yes, that would be my guess as well
    ven07 likes this.
    07-22-2015 02:36 PM
    As for the OP, I would say, go ahead and download the iso for a previous build and install it. That is if you want to update on the 29th itself and even then some of the insiders might have to wait. I doubt all insiders will get the update on the 29th itself
    07-22-2015 02:41 PM
    As for the OP, I would say, go ahead and download the iso for a previous build and install it. That is if you want to update on the 29th itself and even then some of the insiders might have to wait. I doubt all insiders will get the update on the 29th itself
    Would the installation be activated though?
    ven07 likes this.
    07-22-2015 02:57 PM
    All signs point to yes.
    ven07 likes this.
    07-22-2015 03:00 PM
    Would the installation be activated though?
    I would love to jump to twitter and ask Gabe Aul, but so far he's avoiding all my questions :p
    Japser likes this.
    07-22-2015 03:01 PM
    I would love to jump to twitter and ask Gabe Aul, but so far he's avoiding all my questions :p
    Haha, I'm sure he's quite busy :p I don't think a new install would activate right now though. Seen some people having trouble.
    ven07 likes this.
    07-22-2015 03:03 PM
    New installs will fail activation most likely, upgrade installs will activate just fine, at least the one I did this morning activated fine.
    ven07 likes this.
    07-22-2015 03:44 PM
    New installs will fail activation most likely
    True I've seen some users complain about this on the msdn sites
    07-22-2015 05:09 PM
    Probably later
    Yes, that would be my guess as well
    The sad truth is, no one knows. As japser states, it's a guess, although a good guess that those who don't have a current install will get it a bit later.

How is this guess arrived at? Microsoft plans to give the final version on the 29th to Insiders through the Windows 10 Update. Others who have reserved Windows 10 will get the upgrade path a bit later, but not much later.

I would also imagine that Insiders will also get the first chance to download the ISO for clean installs IF Microsoft releases it as such. That would be great for me, as I'm hoping to wait on the ISO to do the install.

I had helped to test several builds of both the phone and desktop Windows 10 OS, but am currently rolled back to 8.1 on both due to needing some of the functionality until 10 is complete.

For now, I am a WINO (Windows Insider in Name Only). WINOs don't generally get all the fun upgrades that active Insiders get. ;)
    ven07 likes this.
    07-22-2015 05:24 PM
    WINO
    New acronym huh xd
    rhapdog likes this.
    07-23-2015 10:58 AM
    New acronym huh xd
    Nope. He recycled one previously used to mean Wife In Name Only. Recycled acronym. Simulacra.
    rhapdog and ven07 like this.
    07-23-2015 06:11 PM
    Nope. He recycled one previously used to mean Wife In Name Only. Recycled acronym. Simulacra.
    Wow. Never heard that one. I was actually adapting the RINO acronym that I hear a lot in the Southern part of the United States.

I've got to be more careful with those WINO acronyms. ;)
    ven07 likes this.
    07-24-2015 11:22 AM
    Some of those RINOs are also WINOs - must be blind drunk to vote for some of the legislation they do and still try to convince voters they are a "conservative"
    rhapdog and ven07 like this.
    07-24-2015 11:35 AM
    My Windows test platform is fine, I am just going to leave it on the insider program. I am wondering about my Surface Pro... Because I am a registered insider, will it get a prioritized upgrade?

Nobody can answer that, but interesting question.
    ven07 likes this.
    07-24-2015 01:45 PM
    If you are an insider and haven't yet built an ISO from the 10240 esd for your other machines... you're doing it wrong.
    ven07 likes this.
    07-24-2015 02:07 PM
    If you are an insider and haven't yet built an ISO from the 10240 esd for your other machines... you're doing it wrong.
    So, let me ask why. I know some of the benefits to having a stand alone ISO, but for most users it is unnecessary. What is your thoughts on this being a "must do" process? The ISO install still needs to be registered or "certified" against a qualifying Windows 7 / 8.1 build.
    07-24-2015 02:18 PM
    Were you able to upgrade to 10240? I just got a Surface 3 today and I'm missing Windows 10.

I have the ISO prior to 10240.
    07-24-2015 03:11 PM
    So, let me ask why. I know some of the benefits to having a stand alone ISO, but for most users it is unnecessary. What is your thoughts on this being a "must do" process? The ISO install still needs to be registered or "certified" against a qualifying Windows 7 / 8.1 build.
    Based on an assumption that several things are true:
    - you have a machine that's not yet been upgraded
    - you are worried how long you might have to wait for the automatic upgrade to happen
    - you have the 10240 ESD file on another machine (same edition and bits)

Since the downloads for Windows 10 ISOs aren't officially available anymore, you can't upgrade it in the normal way by installing a previous build and running Windows Update. You can't upgrade directly from 7 or 8.1 through Windows Update without waiting an unknown amount of time until "your" reservation is ready.

The process of turning that ESD into an ISO is much less convoluted than figuring out how to copy it over and make windows update see it on another machine, but that too is possible. (footnote)

In my experience so far, a Windows 7 or 8.1 machine that has never had any Microsoft Account tied to it, and never been in the preview program, upgraded and activated to Windows 10 just fine by mounting the ISO and running setup.

As far as "must do" - in my situation at work, it is prohibitive to have a large number (more than zero) machines download a 3GB ESD over Windows Update because of our slow Internet connection. I've been able to upgrade a machine at home, grab the ESD from the hidden $windows.~bt or whatever that folder is called, make an ISO from it and carry that to work the next morning.

Footnote:
    Finding the leaked WZOR builds is even easier but I didn't say that
    Last edited by PepperdotNet; 07-24-2015 at 03:57 PM.
    07-24-2015 03:46 PM
    @PepperdotNet, I think those are all valid reasons and agree that it is a strategy that some tech savvy people might want to consider... If nothing else, just as a hedge bet.

But for most people, I don't that it brings a lot of value to burn the ISO. Within a few weeks your PC will be upgraded, and the Windows 10 ISO is always going to be available online and useful for at least the next year.

I don't plan on burning one, and you might consider me a pretty technical guy. (Software Engineer)
    07-24-2015 04:46 PM
27 12