05-05-2016 10:20 PM
281 ... 89101112
tools
    I downloaded mine yesterday without any issues and explored it for a few minutes and it all seemed to be working. Within a few hours I noticed that Edge had issues on some websites, such as facebook and only the top of the page would load, no matter how long I waited. Amazon froze, etc. I am not sure if it is because these sites aren't compatible, too heavy in graphics for Edge to handle, etc.

I am also having issues with Cortana, who initially responded to a voice question and "spoke" and now does not seem to respond to any requests, either voice or those typed into the box, other than providing the restaurants it first showed me when I upgraded.

Not a computer person at all but assume these 2 issues are connected as they relate to browsing the internet . . . does anyone have a suggestion as to what to do? Do I have to reinstall the whole thing because something is missing? Is there anywhere I can go to see if something is messed up? It would be great to have these, especially when I hear that Edge may be much faster even that Chrome, which I am using right now.
    07-30-2015 06:08 PM
    Read loads of advice on pre-win10 upgrade, made 8.1 system image and backed up important files etc. Then just hit the upgrade, kept nothing. After about 1 hour install was complete. Perfect, well almost. Some Asus drivers needed OEM install again for win10 like Trackpad & OSD but nothing serious. Well impressed by the whole process so far.
    Sadly not impressed with the over hyped OS which apart from a couple of gimmicky features and new lock screen/sign in screen pictures is just a mish-mash of 7, 8 & 8.1. Edge is still work in progress and using for just 15 mins it dumps zillions of temp files in local folder - thank heaven fo CCleaner.
    New music app is even worse than Xbox Music on WP8.1. And just like that app used to be incapable of displaying artist/album art so it is with this new thing - do MSFT never learn?
    Finally the new Start menu. First off my previous Classic Shell from 8.1 was ported nicely by the update so at first I couldn't see the new one. Uninstall CS and mmm, will explore custom options/settings removing the kiddy tiles etc. but Classic Shell looks likely right now.
    Good news is all my old desktop app/programs work fine - even Office Pro 2003!.
    Windows still not caught up with hi-res laptop screens yet though so pleased previous 8.1 DPI scaleing tweaks were kept unlike the frustrating USB power save settings which reverted to turning of my USB hard drive every minute. Fortunately kept the Powershell script to modify the correct device registry entry and disable this feature again. Seems MSFT do not learn.
    07-30-2015 06:17 PM
    Anybody else experiencing the file permissions bug? After upgrading I did not have permission to modify any of the files in my documents folder. I had to manually add my own Microsoft account (which I'm logged in with) to the security tab for the folder, with full control, and propagate that through all the sub folders and files.

For me, I know how to do that, but the average user won't and it seems like a rather major bug. Although I don't know how common this bug is. I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere, except for two other people gave the same feedback in the feedback app.
    Lilla45 likes this.
    07-30-2015 07:13 PM
    Anybody else experiencing the file permissions bug? After upgrading I did not have permission to modify any of the files in my documents folder. I had to manually add my own Microsoft account (which I'm logged in with) to the security tab for the folder, with full control, and propagate that through all the sub folders and files.

For me, I know how to do that, but the average user won't and it seems like a rather major bug. Although I don't know how common this bug is. I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere, except for two other people gave the same feedback in the feedback app.
    Thanks for posting this. I think this could explain an issue that I ran into re permissions in documents folder. I got a message that I didn't have permissions to save to a particular folder within documents. I'll have to try to figure out how to do what you did. Thanks big time for dropping this clue...
    07-30-2015 08:25 PM
    Um guys, I need help.

On the Update History List, it shows that my system attempted to install Windows 10 Pro but that failed and now, when I 'check' for new updates, it shows no new updates available...Help Please!!
    07-30-2015 09:19 PM
    I waited all day since 6 something for Win 10 to download through the media creation tool, I turned my head back to my computer just a couple of minutes ago and the setup is gone. No download finished notification or anything. I restarted and now the media creator wont open at all keeps showing "setup couldn't start properly, please reboot your PC and try running win 10 setup again." It does this over and over. What to do?
    07-30-2015 10:11 PM
    1.jpg

after download upgrade, and preparing instal. this happen, please help me...
    07-30-2015 11:37 PM

Yes, I had this - a serious oversight, and a very confusing if you're the only administrator user on a newly installed system!

Even for experienced long-term Windows users like me, the security permissions & credentials can be a bit of a maze to navigate, and you're never really sure if what you change will cause problems...
    07-31-2015 07:21 AM
    Using the media creation tool, will it delete any data if you click on the upgrade this pc option??
    07-31-2015 07:30 AM
    Using the media creation tool, will it delete any data if you click on the upgrade this pc option??

Nope, you can choose later (after the download is completed) if you want to install, among 3 options:

maintain all programs and files

maintain files only

wipe everything for a totally clean install
    07-31-2015 07:45 AM
    I waited all day since 6 something for Win 10 to download through the media creation tool, I turned my head back to my computer just a couple of minutes ago and the setup is gone. No download finished notification or anything. I restarted and now the media creator wont open at all keeps showing "setup couldn't start properly, please reboot your PC and try running win 10 setup again." It does this over and over. What to do?
    Did you see a "downloading windows 10" percentage counter ?
    07-31-2015 07:51 AM
    Nope, you can choose later (after the download is completed) if you want to install, among 3 options:

maintain all programs and files

maintain files only

wipe everything for a totally clean install
    Thanks , another thing hope it doesn't change the product key, or request for one
    07-31-2015 07:52 AM
    Cannot download or install. Errors: 80240031 and 80240021. Lenovo Miix 3-1030 32GB. tried all the fixes suggested with no positive results.
    Could reserve with no problems, PC Check came out all green
    07-31-2015 07:53 AM
    Um guys, I need help.

On the Update History List, it shows that my system attempted to install Windows 10 Pro but that failed and now, when I 'check' for new updates, it shows no new updates available...Help Please!!
    Not in line yet
    07-31-2015 07:53 AM
    I got up at 6 something this morning, hit the Microsoft website and got the media creation tool to start the Win 10 download, it is now 5:09 and the download is on 77%.
    Whao!! Is that slow ? Are you sure is not from your internet connection?
    07-31-2015 07:56 AM
    I had to use the Media Creation tool to upgrade one of my machines, I think anymore machines that don't automatically upgrade I would use this tool.
    When you load you can either Upgrade this PC (doesn't require Licence Key) or create an ISO for a clean install...

Windows 10

G.
    How is the speed
    07-31-2015 07:57 AM
    I cannot use the Media creation tool, it crashes with an "An error occured" after I select to perfrom the upgrade instead creating a bootable media
    07-31-2015 09:16 AM
    My little sister stopped the installation and it was JUST about to finish installing and I was going to have my sweet Windows 10, now I'm re-downloading it for the 20th time. It always has to be me, *Gets new computer*, messed up then, *Updating new computer*, fail, *Annoyed*, yeah..
    07-31-2015 10:28 AM
    hmm, so you did an in place upgrade like me? I didn't get a warning per say that I wouldn't be able to revert to 8.1 as such when I selected i wanted to 'keep nothing...' I just assumed that would be the case. clearly my old OS is still there-something I found by accident in settings when I was confused the storage was still almost maxed out (I'm at 172gb of 250gb...) so if I went ahead and just nuked the old OS in Windows.old to get all that space back, then I'd pretty much have a 'clean' install right?
    Even I found the windows.old in the :C drive.I don't really think even I have a clean install too.Don't know if you could clear space by doing that.Personally I haven't tried that.I have a free space of 262GB out of 299GB(OS drive).
    07-31-2015 10:57 AM
    Yep! Me!

Please, let me know if could solve this problem :)
    07-31-2015 12:15 PM
    Thanks for posting this. I think this could explain an issue that I ran into re permissions in documents folder. I got a message that I didn't have permissions to save to a particular folder within documents. I'll have to try to figure out how to do what you did. Thanks big time for dropping this clue...
    Yes, I had this - a serious oversight, and a very confusing if you're the only administrator user on a newly installed system!

Even for experienced long-term Windows users like me, the security permissions & credentials can be a bit of a maze to navigate, and you're never really sure if what you change will cause problems...
    Actually I found an easier way to fix the file permissions problem. Rather than assigning myself to the folder under security, I simply modified the security for the "Home user" which already exists.

This is how you do it.

1. In file explorer, right click on the folder and click Properties
    2. Click on the Security tab
    3. Click Edit
    4. Select "Home Users (yourcomputer\HomeUsers)"
    5. Check the "Allow" checkbox next to "Modify"
    6. Click OK

Note when I say click on "the folder" I mean the root folder below which you need to have access. For most people this is everything below C:\Windows\Users\YourUserName, but you could also do the same on pretty much any folder. I recommend you do this on your username folder under C:\Windows\Users. That will include your documents, pictures, music, etc.

Depending on how much stuff you have on your PC it could take a few minutes to propagate the security change to all the files in your folder.
    Lilla45 likes this.
    07-31-2015 12:32 PM
    I have two Windows 10 devices with same Microsoft Account!
    The problem is when I change desktop background on one of my PC, other PC's desktop background also get changed automatically to the one which I set on first PC.
    I have seen it first time.
    Can this process be removed?
    I don't like it.
    07-31-2015 01:40 PM
    Sync settings between PCs - Windows Help this should help?

I have two Windows 10 devices with same Microsoft Account!
    The problem is when I change desktop background on one of my PC, other PC's desktop background also get changed automatically to the one which I set on first PC.
    I have seen it first time.
    Can this process be removed?
    I don't like it.
    07-31-2015 01:44 PM
    I don't have issues with ownership within my c drive per se, however I do have issues with ownership of my external drive

Finding it easier to do this Add "Take Ownership" to Explorer Right-Click Menu in Windows

Actually I found an easier way to fix the file permissions problem. Rather than assigning myself to the folder under security, I simply modified the security for the "Home user" which already exists.

This is how you do it.

1. In file explorer, right click on the folder and click Properties
    2. Click on the Security tab
    3. Click Edit
    4. Select "Home Users (yourcomputer\HomeUsers)"
    5. Check the "Allow" checkbox next to "Modify"
    6. Click OK

Note when I say click on "the folder" I mean the root folder below which you need to have access. For most people this is everything below C:\Windows\Users\YourUserName, but you could also do the same on pretty much any folder. I recommend you do this on your username folder under C:\Windows\Users. That will include your documents, pictures, music, etc.

Depending on how much stuff you have on your PC it could take a few minutes to propagate the security change to all the files in your folder.
    Lilla45 and vincentwansink like this.
    07-31-2015 01:57 PM
    I don't have issues with ownership within my c drive per se, however I do have issues with ownership of my external drive

Finding it easier to do this Add "Take Ownership" to Explorer Right-Click Menu in Windows
    Thanks for posting this. I'm going to give the Add "Take Ownership" utility a try. I see this utility is also said to be useful in another discussion of this Win 10 issue. See posts 94, 98 (re "Take Ownership" utility), 100, 101 at the link below.
    Win 10 up and running? Talk about your post-install experiences with it. - Page 4 - PC & Mac Hardware and Software - Digital Spy Forums
    08-01-2015 01:16 AM
281 ... 89101112