Tried to upgrade w/ MediaCreationTool.Got this msg: "Setup failed to initialize working directory"

brokenwindows

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
Tried to upgrade w/ MediaCreationTool.Got this msg: "Setup failed to initialize working directory"

I have a legit Win 7 laptop. I made a Win 10 reservation a few weeks back. Today, I went to microsoft[DOT]com/en-us/software-download/windows10 to download the "Media creation tool". I chose the 64-bit version because my laptop is 64-bit. The first 100 minutes was Downloading. Next 15 minutes was Verifying Download. Third stage was something about media center.

And then I got to a choice of a) Upgrade your PC now or b) Prepare USB drive (or something like this).
I chose Option A. It got to 3% when I got this error message:
Something happened
Setup has failed to initialize the working directory
See attached screenshot.

I thought to myself, "Well, the Windows 10 installation files are now on my hard drive. I won't have to wait 2 hours again." Well, I'm wrong. I double-clicked the Media Creation Tool exe file again, and it's back to downloading Windows 10 from 1% again!

Oh no! What's wrong?

Attachments

• Windows_10_Setup_has_failed_to_initialize_working_directory.png
    Windows_10_Setup_has_failed_to_initialize_working_directory.png
    15.2 KB · Views: 34

Stealth777

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
Re: Tried to upgrade w/ MediaCreationTool.Got this msg: "Setup failed to initialize working director

Same here downloaded to usb and saved and I get the "setup has failed to initialize the working directory" I even ran the install now and got "setup has failed to initialize the working directory" someone please help us with this :)

Stealth777

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
Re: Tried to upgrade w/ MediaCreationTool.Got this msg: "Setup failed to initialize working director

Check your Hard Drive space ! if you don't have enough space for the unpacking of the files it will give this error. I think I found my problem was I only had 300 or less MB left , mine is a dell venue 8 pro tablet.

Virender Singh

May 29, 2014
Visit site

You have to do two thikngs
1. Make sure there is enough space
2. Run the media creation tool or any related .exe file with admin Access. You can do it by right clicking on the file and "Open as Admin"

Ideally the media creation tool should be able to get admin access once you click on it. It seems its not doing it for some systems.

Thanks
Virender Singh

Stealth777

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site

Thank you , I figured it out yesterday that I didn't have enough space on hard drive so I cleaned it out and windows 10 installed just fine 😉

N y c k y

Jul 1, 2015
Visit site

I'm having the same problem, I've been trying to upgrade a Windows 8.1 SL through Media Creation Tool. I also tried to 'Run s admin', but it still gives me the 'Something happened' msg. This is PC still have 867MB of free space in ROM. I hope you guys have a workaround for this.

Nicolas V

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site

The tool worked for me after being logged in admin account.:wink

N y c k y

Jul 1, 2015
Visit site

The tool worked for me after being logged in admin account.:wink

I'm not very sure what you mean by that, sorry.
There is only one account (user) in registered in the PC that I want to upgrade. (Which I assume would be the admin)
I also opened the Media Creation Tool 'as administrator'.

I don't quite know why am I keep having this problem. Thanks BTW.

Stealth777

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site

Check your c:/ drive you have to have about 10gb of free space

zayler

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site

Hey, i also have Dell venue 8 pro, but i have 32GB version, and as of now i dont really see how i could acquire 10GB of free space, i have 32GB microSD card inside which has the space. Any ideas?

Stealth777

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site

I first cleaned out hard drive , right click on c:\ drive and then click properties and do a disk cleanup. And I also went into program and features and deleted all the programs I did not need. Back up all your stuff on your extra storage drive first. I even went into uninstall updates and deleted updates without restarting PC. Then try again.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss