Ten disappointing things about Windows 10 :(

CamiKitti

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
I don't like how I had to re-add permissions to my folders especially when my account (the only account) is the Admin.

The white background thing reminds me of iOS. They need to add the black option. I agree some things look odd. I like the round toggle switches.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I don't believe you are are being honest OP. In fact, I'd say you are being quite dishonest in your assessment of Windows 10.

egold70

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
Something to think about: How many eyebrows or faces twitched of even yells of "WHAT" were released back in June when 29th of July general availability date was announced? Anyone having tried insider preview back then knew 10 is far from being even close to finished.
Now, with the "final bits' on both my laptop and tablet I can confidently conclude that not only it`s not finished but in the present state the OS is no more than beta software. There are countless "inconsistencies" and bugs that were pointed in many threads, apps that do not open or need several attempts to make them work...but that is the point with beta`s isn`t it? IMO the real reason behind offering Windows 10 as a free upgrade is being real beta software, MS probably intends to bring the OS to more mature state in the next year or so and then stop the "free" beta program and continue business as usual.
Maybe 5 million insiders were not enough(myself in that count) and now after the release everyone is becoming an insider wishfully or not even without pressing the "become insider" button, considering that you are obligated to install every update and to leave the feedback to full data send otherwise as explained some parts will not function.
Having said that I`m by no means complaining, it is my opinion on how W10 evolves and a very probable explanation of the real MS strategy.
Actually I`m enjoying 10 on my laptop/desktop version, the tablet experience though is far behind 8.1 as already pointed out and really hope it will eventually improve with lots of feedback taken into consideration. The battery life on the tablet is awful despite fresh OS reset and disable all background programs and Wi-Fi during sleep, this may be a sufficient reason for reverting to 8.1

Chad Wichterman

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
I have found this issue and had to click to put a check mark in the box under the properties of each software so far.
This is prob. my issue with the softwares being so not clear and sharp. ooVoo didn't work i think as well as 360 Total Security.

disable display scaling on high dpi settings

Ian_Superfly

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
I agree!
Win 10 is massively overrated!
It is decent (but still not GOOD) on desktop and it is close to crap on a tablet.
However, I think that it is "good enough" for the average W7 user as they are used to a 6/7 year old OS.

I think Windows 10 is like "the emperors new clothes"

anon(5327127)

May 25, 2011
Visit site
A LOT of changes will come later. You don't release a perfect product first time. No. Never. You'll die after awhile as the device will get no press from updates. Heck look at the iPad 1 with no camera. You improve as you go along.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I love the start menu. I would like it to mimic the settings for tiles on the phone. Allowing background pics, transparency all that. But so far I have loved setting up my own custom app groups and seeing a start menu that fits my own needs. A lot of people who got used to Windows 8.1 now have to get used to this. It may **** them off. I agree tablet mode needs work but its not bad enough you can't deal with it till fall. Desktop was priority. Think about it. Windows 7 was still the highest used operating system. You Windows 8.1 users are a minority and that doesn't make them money. You probably never bought apps but you complain. So ms releases an unfinished version of the vision for a reason. It's to get it on as many pc's as possible. Now developers see a market there. They start coding. By the time the fall fixes show up. You have developers releasing more apps and the eco system is then pretty nice up to the launch of their premium phones. So "no apps" is no longer an excuse not to buy a Windows phone. Welcome to the great business strategy.

instantk

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
Did anyone try playing store games? Games like shark dash and rayman jungle run don't respond to mouse clicks easily...(the actual click area is shifted from the perceived visible buttons).. This is a issue on 1280x 768 resolution and below..though ms mentions the res. Limit as 1024*600... Now much of my windows 8 purchases are going to go waste!

Also, i would like to point out that ms should have kept the tab mode same as the present windows 8.1 gdr1
The tab mode is horrible

Arun3

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I agree with you on a lot of the points mentioned. I use my SPro3 as a tablet 90% of the time. There's no ambiguity in saying that the tablet mode in Windows 10 needs a lot of work.
I had a hard time getting adjusted to using Edge as the new browser, as it was way slower when compared to IE. Also, the lack of gesture based navigation also bothered me. Changing the browser to Firefox is a nightmare to use on the tablet mode.
That being said, I can totally appreciate how they nailed the desktop mode.

In short, the update made my SPro3 perfect as a laptop, but really a bad touch machine. So I reverted it back to W 8.1 (Which is a nightmare; ended up recycling my PC). I'm waiting a few more months until they issues patches and fixes, before installing Windows 10.

Brian Blair1

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
First of all Windows 10 is worse than a train wreck! And I do not care if anyone thinks I am being unfair, And I do not care if anyone thinks I am exaggerating! First of all! There is no start menu in Windows 10 at all! It is only a miniature version of Windows metro that people hated in Windows 8/8.1! And on top of their being no start menu, You can no longer pick and choose what updates you want! And you can't turn updates off! This will be a huge problem for many users when they are forced to receive a update that has a huge conflict with their hardware! That was the whole point of being able to pick and choose what updates you wanted before! Because time and time again: Microsoft has released updates that cause problems with some people's hardware "causing crashes and blue screens! I suppose Microsoft now thinks this will just magically no longer happen? And also the Keylogger that they told you time and again was not a big deal, The same keylogger that was just supposed to help with feedback in the preview version! But now it is in the final version! And it is amazing how reviewers have never mentioned a word about the keylogger still being in the final version! Once hackers finally exploit the keylogger many people are going to be very unhappy! Because the hacker will have every bit of knowledge about you that it records! And it records absolutly everything! Your pin numbers, And a huge amount of other personal and private data. But if a hacker steals all your savings from you bank account because of the keylogger? Don't worry! Because you are just being a conspiracy theorist! And another feature with Windows 10 is Microsoft wants you to share your WiFi password! Yeah forget about the meaning of having a password on your WiFi in the first place! Lets just pretend that password is not for security! Lets just pretend it is only for logging in and sharing! You do not want to be a conspiracy theorist right? Who cares if some creepy person uses your WiFi right? If you worry about some creepy person getting you in trouble, by doing illegal things on your WiFi, You are just being a conspiracy theorist! But all jokes aside! Windows 10 is a huge disaster! And Windows 10 is a bigger failure than Windows 8/8.1! As a matter of fact Windows 8/8.1 is a much more desirable OS than Windows 10!

mesamit

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
First of all Windows 10 is worse than a train wreck! And I do not care if anyone thinks I am being unfair, And I do not care if anyone thinks I am exaggerating! First of all! There is no start menu in Windows 10 at all! It is only a miniature version of Windows metro that people hated in Windows 8/8.1! And on top of their being no start menu, You can no longer pick and choose what updates you want! And you can't turn updates off! This will be a huge problem for many users when they are forced to receive a update that has a huge conflict with their hardware! That was the whole point of being able to pick and choose what updates you wanted before! Because time and time again: Microsoft has released updates that cause problems with some people's hardware "causing crashes and blue screens! I suppose Microsoft now thinks this will just magically no longer happen? And also the Keylogger that they told you time and again was not a big deal, The same keylogger that was just supposed to help with feedback in the preview version! But now it is in the final version! And it is amazing how reviewers have never mentioned a word about the keylogger still being in the final version! Once hackers finally exploit the keylogger many people are going to be very unhappy! Because the hacker will have every bit of knowledge about you that it records! And it records absolutly everything! Your pin numbers, And a huge amount of other personal and private data. But if a hacker steals all your savings from you bank account because of the keylogger? Don't worry! Because you are just being a conspiracy theorist! And another feature with Windows 10 is Microsoft wants you to share your WiFi password! Yeah forget about the meaning of having a password on your WiFi in the first place! Lets just pretend that password is not for security! Lets just pretend it is only for logging in and sharing! You do not want to be a conspiracy theorist right? Who cares if some creepy person uses your WiFi right? If you worry about some creepy person getting you in trouble, by doing illegal things on your WiFi, You are just being a conspiracy theorist! But all jokes aside! Windows 10 is a huge disaster! And Windows 10 is a bigger failure than Windows 8/8.1! As a matter of fact Windows 8/8.1 is a much more desirable OS than Windows 10!

unplug internet...you will be safe....you are welcome....

MarkMoore793

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
I am assuming its resolution dependant. I can get 4 (though I only did that as en experiemnt, I dont actuall have much I want on there) I am running a QHD monitor at 2560 x 1440

Ian_Superfly

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
I am assuming its resolution dependant. I can get 4 (though I only did that as en experiemnt, I dont actuall have much I want on there) I am running a QHD monitor at 2560 x 1440

How many do you get if you switch over to tablet mode?
I get 2 on 1920x1080, Surface Pro 1and 2. Looks like sh...t! Approx. 50% unused space...

Last edited:

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
How many do you get if you switch over to tablet mode?
I get 2 on 1080, Surface Pro 1and 2. Looks like sh...t!

Check what DPI setting you have. Right click your desktop and choose Display Settings. What is the "Change the size of text..." set to? On my Surface 3 it's set to 150%. If you have anything over 100%, try lowering to it 100% and see if you can get 3 rows.

Ian_Superfly

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
Check what DPI setting you have. Right click your desktop and choose Display Settings. What is the "Change the size of text..." set to? On my Surface 3 it's set to 150%. If you have anything over 100%, try lowering to it 100% and see if you can get 3 rows.

Hi Dewg (thanks for help!).
It was at 150 (which was marked recommended). I tried it at 100% and then I could get 3 with far less gap between the columns BUT the text was generally very hard to read. I tried also 125 which still gives me 3 columns but the text is still too small for the small screen.

There should be a way to adjust Icon size, text size AND gap between columns.
2 columns look awful but I can at least read the text. 3 columns need the scaling to be put at 125 or lower but then it is hard to read the text.

Impressive Microsoft. Really impressive! (Feels like having Linux installed again...)

Kadcidxa

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
  • Tablet runs hotter and battery life is awful
  • Some live tiles never update
  • Can't set brightness to 0% within the action center, the old slider was much better!
  • If I want a less of a gap between tiles, I need to set my FHD tablet dpi to 100%, making everything too small. On Windows 8.1, I had my dpi to 150% and all my tiles fit on one screen without any problems
  • Search box and power button on start screen is easier to access compared to the new bottom left corner
  • Camera on lock screen is missing
  • Full screen all apps missing, we now have a narrow single column, much more work scrolling through
  • Edge is missing full screen and forward and back gestures
  • Movies & Videos app missing dark mode, plus many other apps
  • Can't adjust auto app updates from the store on home edition, also control failing drivers
  • Windows Store app crashes when updating apps. In addition, the same apps keep updating even though they are already updated
  • Camera app is useless giving any information on why its not working.
  • Switching apps using gesture feels disjointed, it gives me a ugly task view with apps to pick from.
  • Some tiles look ugly when set to small. For example, the store and camera icon.

JKoanyj.jpg

anadi1984

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
After updating my Sony vaio SVE15115ENW to Windows 10 home from windows 7 home, I cant find the Bluetooth option. It's not there in the settings. Device manager doesn't show any Bluetooth device. What to do? Not particularly liking this in windows 10.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon