Windows 10 blank login screen

anon(8895690)

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Hey, 'name is Matej.

I have a problem with my Acer Aspire 5943G. I just upgraded from Windows 7 Home Premium OA to Windows 10 Home, and then updated Windows 10 until there were no updates showing. A couple problems appeared which I was able to fix but not a particular one; When I startup the laptop it all goes smoothly but when it gets to the login screen (clock with the background), my screen's backlight suddenly turns off. I can still see the faint screen info if I shine a bright light in it. If I restart it, it fixes the problem though. This is rather frustrating as I cannot expect when it will happen (right now it happened when I turned it on from hibernation, sometimes it happens with a normal shutdown and startup). My GPU is ATI mobility radeon HD 5650.
Also having a sound issue. I can get the sound to work through headphones, but not through the speakers.

Any help you can give and share, is greatly appreciated.

vs16

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
I am glad to have found someone going through the same issue, I was very excited about this upgrade until my screen went blank on every start up....also looked Acer's website and it says that Aspire 5943g is not compatible for upgrade so not sure whether this can be possible....I had to go back to windows 7 until any solutions.

anon(8895690)

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Hm, looks like this is a startup bug with Windows 10. If I start up the laptop from no power, the screen is dark (no backlight) but then if I restart it, when I get to the login screen, the screen's backlight starts working. Can you try testing this technique, vs16? Maybe you'll get it working.
I hope Microsoft fixes this as it's really frustrating to have to startup the laptop then restart it again to get the backlight working (especially with being on a HDD, everything is so slow, I'm used to SSD speed).

Edit: This bug also appears when waking up from hibernation mode and from sleep. And even uninstalling the video drivers or choosing which to only work doesn't help either.

Last edited:

anon(8895690)

May 29, 2014
Visit site
EUREKA, kind of....

I solved the issue temporarily by going into BIOS and switch the graphics tab from switchable to discrete. This has solved the issue for me. Let me know if it works for you too. But I still hope, microsoft fixes the switchable graphics startup issue.

vs16

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
Hi Matej,

I have tried this but still had trouble, it took me roughly 2/3 start ups for the screen to appear. I had the same issues as you.

Adirocks

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
Ok Guys Try this
Next time you see that blank black screen
Just Tap CTRL KEY
And wait for a second or two
Then start typing your password and tap enter key after finishing typing ur password
Even if nothing is displaying on the screen

This will log u Guys in , directly to ur desktop with No issues

And i think its some compatibilty bug in windows 10 hope they are working on this
Just go
And report this bug through windows feedback app

And let me know if above stated solution works for you guys

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium