Edge: Things I Don't Understand (Home Page, Bing Rewards, Address Bar shrinking, Tab placement)

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I just upgraded to Windows 10 and, for the first time, am now able to play with Edge. I'm been an IE user for years and quite liked IE 11, but I thought I'd give Edge a chance. There are quite a few things that are confusing me, though.

New Tabs and Home Page: When I launch IE 11 I'm greeted with bing.com, which I set up for two reasons: (a) Bing's Image of the day is usually gorgeous and I want to see it, (b) I like seeing my Bing Rewards Total. Edge's default home page is some stripped down amalgamation of msn.com. That's fine for some, but I want Bing. So I changed the settings to that it goes to Bing directly when I launch Edge (... > Settings > Open With > Bing). Likewise, I have IE 11 set up that whenever I click to open a new tab, it opens bing.com. However, there is no such option for this in Edge. Instead, the only options are to open new tabs with "top sites + suggested content", "top sites", or a "blank page", which isn't blank at all: it's a grey search page that looks like Google, which I find aesthetically unappealing. Is there a way around this? But mostly, I prefer searching directly from bing.com because I know it'll count towards Bing Rewards. What if search from this generic grey search page--does that count towards the Bing Rewards tally?

URL Bar: The other thing I like about IE 11 is that I can have the URL bar and the taps all on the same row, thereby saving vertical space. In contrast, Edge wastes space by having the URL bar extend all the way over, and then putting the tabs above that. Is there any way to get them on the same row?

Edge Icon Color: Is there a way to change the color of the icon in the taskbar? It's this very weird, hard-to-see, deep blue color that I find jarring. I'd love for it to be monochrome like the Store, Cortana, and Task View Icons.

Convert to PDF: Finally, the other thing I like about IE 11 is that I have a nice plug-in shortcut to convert web pages to PDFs. That isn't showing up in Edge. I realize I can do it the clumsy way by selecting Print > Print as Adobe PDF, but is there some other way I should be using Edge, like with the "Web Notes" feature? I like saving articles as .pdf files for sharing or reading later, and marking them up in Acrobat.

Open Location on Dual Monitor: Windows 8.1 was really good about remembering which monitor I use my apps on, and then opening them there, so that IE 11 always opened up on my second monitor, but no matter how many times I drag and drop Edge over there, it always opens up on the tiny default monitor, and in full screen mode, for some reason.
By the way, the dark theme in Edge is pretty sweet and much better looking than the default "Google" grey color.

Last edited:

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Man, don't get me started on Edge but I am not a fan. I don't exactly hate the browser but it seems confused a lot about how to handle web pages. Adverts drives this browser bananas and don't think about using it on Windows Central forums. I doesn't know what to do first with its controls. Maybe it'll get better after the upcoming "security" update. But it needs to get back in the oven and cook some more. It is seriously Alpha code.

PavanReddy

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
"Built from the ground" my arse!! This has IE written all over it. I had to restart Edge to post this. See this image and the next image I'll be posting.. ALTHOUGH, I must say, windowscentral's website is obnoxiously slow on all devices and browsers (including my iPhone) because of all the crappy ads... still, Edge should handle this better.

I just had 3 tabs open and Spotify in the background.
Untitled2.jpg

PavanReddy

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
This is why I think it's not built from the ground up....same issues and messaging as IE..

Seriously, WindowsCentral needs to figure out how to make money without obnoxious amount of ads.
Untitled.jpg

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Before this OS was dropped, I knew Edge would get heat. I hope it doesn't become its Achilles heel but it needs an update bad.

PavanReddy

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
Like I said, WindowsCentral is **** on all browsers. This thread alone has 25-30 ads. I guess it's not fair to judge Edge on this experience.

k72

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
Searching from the gray screen does count for Bing Rewards; I just checked.
I agree that there is too much clutter at the top. I put the favorites bar and it is a good inch at least of wasted space.
I really wish we could change the color and logo on the pinned sites. They are all blue, which makes my start screen super boring and confusing because I have to hunt for the tile I want.
The only site that I've had issues with has been Windows Central. It loads so slow and is super choppy. Also, every time I type a reply it freezes for a moment and so by the time I have finished a sentence, I have to go back and correct all the missing words. You would think of all sites that this one would be designed to work better.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Good to know about Bing Rewards working on the new tab page. It's too bad that it's got that boring grey screen, though. Why not use the Bing image of the day? I don't get it.

The address bar placement and 'tabs on top' placement is driving me nuts too. Edge is supposedly faster than IE 11, but I haven't noticed it. I might switch back to IE 11 for the UI alone. We'll see.

rld082982

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Pages load quickly on Edge, but I'm unable to scroll! 10-20 sec goes by until I'm able to scroll. I load the same website on Chrome or any other browser, and it's almost instant...

PavanReddy

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
I bet you the editors of MobileNations use FireFox/Chrome with AdBlock...lol and the Mac guys have AdBlock on their Safari too?

Edge thus far works great on other sites...

JoyfullJuneBug

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Having URL bar and the tabs all on the same row is unusable for me I always have way to many tabs open and they kill the url bar. Super happy they finally fixed that!!!

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I bet you the editors of MobileNations use FireFox/Chrome with AdBlock...lol and the Mac guys have AdBlock on their Safari too?

Edge thus far works great on other sites...
Works better on other sites, true. Its a very fast browser but its too accommodating to ads. And this is the flatfooted nature of Microsoft they need to get a grip on while they are promoting everybody that didn't get fired. ADBLOCK is a must or only promote browsers that support it. No one, especially me wants to re-live the glory days of GeoCities.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
There is indeed Jazmac. I am glad that hosts file spares me from coming across a lot of it. (and it makes the Windows Central website bearable, into the bargain )

When I get home, I'll give that Hosts file a try. I do want to use Edge but in its current incarnation? Yikes!

R0bR

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Edge certainly does need work, especially in the CPU utilization as it triggers my laptops fan after only 5-10 tabs open, at least in IE I could get to over 20. I also like to see the BING page with the wallpaper and latest news items and one of the main reasons I don't use Edge. Well that and the fact I can't get a new opened tab to be active without having to click it to see it. Anyone know if that is at least configurable?

JoyfullJuneBug

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
You just shrink the size of the URL bar. How big of a URL bar do you need?

I like to see full URLs at all times.

Edge certainly does need work, especially in the CPU utilization as it triggers my laptops fan after only 5-10 tabs open, at least in IE I could get to over 20. I also like to see the BING page with the wallpaper and latest news items and one of the main reasons I don't use Edge. Well that and the fact I can't get a new opened tab to be active without having to click it to see it. Anyone know if that is at least configurable?

Yeah the fan on my laptop almost never comes on 4 tabs open in Edge and my fan turns on. Also freezing a lot takes 20 or seconds before pages start to scroll. Sticking with Chrome until they iron out the bugs in Edge.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bentecdigital