Windows 10 upgrade app stuck on "Please Wait"

Saros

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm on a desktop I built running a legit, activated, fully patched version of Windows 8.1 Pro, and made a reservation for Win10 some time ago.

I didn't bother attempting to check the registration status from the app in the systray until yesterday. When maximized it's perpetually frozen displaying "Please Wait" instead of the intended window content, and I'm unable to select "Check your upgrade status" from the right-click dialog (however it will access the other two options, a shortcut to open Windows Update and "Learn More about Windows 10"). Meanwhile, when I installed the latest Defender definitions via Windows Update this evening, I noticed in the update history multiple failed attempts for the Win10 upgrade with the ever-popular 80240020 error.

My question: is this a local issue which requires resolution in order to receive the Win10 upgrade prompt? Any chance these issues are related, or are these just side-effects of problems from a chaotic launch?

I've seen many user reports detailing error codes, and some conflicting info from users and MS support staff on workarounds. Personally I'm not hell-bent on forcing an update, I'm just wondering if there's a roadblock I have to clear before being able to upgrade via Windows Update as intended.

Thanks in advance for any helpful advice.

Saros

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
Please disregard the above. I got bored and forced the update, negating my original concern.

Mods, feel free to lock or delete at your discretion. Thanks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro