Issues with Windows 10 version 10240

tomdooley

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 using the Media Creation Tool. I'm using a Dell Inspiron N4010 with 4GB Ram and.
Everything was working fine, at first Defender wouldn't start, but after a few restarts of the laptop, it did. Then I opened Store and updated a lot of programmes, downloaded a game, everything was working fine.
However, yesterday afternoon, I defragmented and optimized my drives by right clicking on the drives in My Computer. Ever since that, my taskbar will not respond. Edge disappeared from my taskbar. I had to use Chrome to access the internet. Then, today I see, my Store icon also disappeared. Previously, clicking on Store would show an error.
I tried to run PowerShell but as my taskbar is not responsive, I can't right click and run PowerShell as administrator, so I can't try that fix.
I found another solution that asked me to create a file in the Registry Editor called 'UseExperience', but even that did not help.
Then I went to C drive to the AppData folder and deleted the cache to the Store files as suggested in another thread here, no good.

My taskbar won't open, clicks wont register, only right clicks will. Edge and the Store icon have disappeared, the Notification Center won't open.

Can anyone tell me if they have the same problem and how they fixed it if they did? I'm in India, if it helps.
Can defragmenting my drives have caused this issue?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Edit: Just tried to go back to Windows 7 but my computer tells me the files required to go back to Windows 7 have been deleted.

Last edited:

Rising Mos

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
You can try resetting the computer from the setting app. You can access it in "my pc". Not that your applications will be removed.

tomdooley

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hi Mos, I'm hoping to avoid that as my backups aren't completing fully, they're showing some files as not backed up and I can't afford to lose anything. :(

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss