How to solve issue with auto-refresh in File Explorer? (Windows 10)

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Hi there,

Since this afternoon, I've updated two of the computers at home from Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro. Since then, i tested them and everything is fine on the first one (except a little bug with the address bar in Google Chrome) but not on the second one.

Let me explain you what the problem is. In the File Explorer, each time i scroll down to any location in the folder, it's scrolling up after a few seconds, but also prevent me to rename a file or a folder, because when I do, it seems some kind of refresh happens and I'm back to the top of the window and the file name (or folder name) is again in view mode.

Can you help me ?

Thank you in advance,
Kind Regards,

Meng Yi

MengYi

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
Re: Windows 10 - How to solve issue with auto refresh in File Explorer ?

No, it's not related to network drive at all, it's on the drives that are on the local computer. It happens each time I'm using the File Explorer

MengYi

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site

I've found the issue, it's related to the automatic adaptation of the general theme depending of the wallpaper displayed (i'm using a slideshow as wallpaper). each time the theme is adapted, the File Explorer is refreshed and cause the scroll bar to go back to top.

Thanks for your help
MengYi

August Win Aung

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site

Wow! you are great bro Meng Yi :smile: ... Last days, I was also faced with that problem but now I do it as your answer by disabling automatically pick an accent color from my background option from personalization setting. viola everything fine. but I don't satisfy with this solution bcos I like the automatically changing accent color of windows border. How do you think? if you get another solution without disable dynamic accent color, let me know :) by the way thank you so much for your solution.. cheers :cool: :smile:

MengYi

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site

I don't really like the solution either, but at least, it's working correctly for now. I'll see in the few next days if Microsoft would release an update that would correct that.

JERRY1001

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site

Had the same proble after loading w10. Refresh is caused by color accent change. Go to personalization, pick color, turnoff accent color - refresh gone! Easy to name new file or rename and no refresh to top page..

sanorin01

Oct 23, 2015
Visit site

Oh my god, this was driving me crazy! I've registered here only to say thank you!

I have quite a lot of backgrounds and I've set them as a loop every 1 minute, so you can imagine every time I tried to rename a file or something.

Turning off the pick up color option definitely solved this, but it's not the ideal solution. I hope there is a better one someday.

Thanks!

pgalachiuk

Oct 31, 2015
Visit site

Since loading Windows 10. I have come across a problem that the Microsoft Technical Team cannot solve. I have a MSI Laptop that was working fine with Windows 8.1. I loaded Windows 10. What I noticed is that if I pull up my files using the yellow folder icon (on the taskbar) and look at at my files that if I try and rename a file or click on a file, the file folder page would reset/refresh automatically every 60 seconds continuously. When I tracked it back, the File Folder resetting was linked to the time and changing of the Pictures that were on my Screen Background that were in the Slideshow mode set for 1 minute.
By pulling up a reduced size version of my File Folders against the Screen Background Pictures, it was clear that when the picture changed on my Screen Background, this would cause the File Folder to reset. If I had a file being renamed that was down a page or more, the refresh would take me out of rename and take the file folder right to the top of the page list.
If I pull up the same File Folder using a Microsoft Program like Excel or Word, and have both file folders up against the Screen Background Picture, when the picture changed, the File Folder opened from the Taskbar Icon would refresh, but the same File Folder opened in Excel would not refresh.

1. The File Folder Refresh happens on all files either on my computer or on an external dive.

One Note: When the Photo's refresh - only the page of Files on the right refresh. The list of Folders on the left, stay constant and do not scroll to the top - like the ones on the right.

2. The refresh does not happen with the color change mentioned in the other correspondence. I checked this the first time - and could not correlate the refresh with the Color Accent change.

Also - I changed the time on when the picture slideshow changed - and it follows it directly. So - if you want the slideshow and you want to live with the issue - just move the time to allow you enough time to work in the File Folders.

Problem is still not resolved, but I can work with it.
Any ideas how to fix this?

craig maxwell

Oct 31, 2015
Visit site

I fooooookin love you my new friend.
Thank you, thank you and thank you again :)
That was seriously doing my nut in and now it isn't, all thanks to you.

jcur0806

Nov 21, 2015
Visit site

I'm having a very similar problem I think. When I open up file explorer in Windows 10, single click on a file - the window automatically refreshes and almost seems to reopen.

On my desktop when I go into personalisation, I can't see the colour settings in the options below. However when I log in using my laptop, I can see them and change from the automatic colour setting. As I'm using the same login, the settings should auto save and be passed from my laptop to my desktop.

But after turning off the auto colour setting, I've still got the same issue in file explorer. It's driving me bananas. Would love some ideas if anyone could please help!

1 Chriss1

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site

Hi,

This issue still exist after months and all the updates released this far... Have any of you guys reported this to Microsoft (forums) as well?

Br,

vipinban

Dec 9, 2015
Visit site

Hi,
I have update my windows 7 to Windows 10. But windows 10 desktop is being refreshed automatically, like in 2 mins, and it refreshes complete taskbar, desktop and closes all explorer window.

any help please?

Thanks,
-Vipin

Yorokobii

Dec 12, 2015
Visit site

Wooooohooooo !!! my gawd i have 7000 wallpapers so i have changed the registers to change wallpaper every 10sec and it was impossible to do anything xDDD thank you soo much!

dusty_58

Dec 26, 2015
Visit site

This is also one of my many problems. Every two minutes pretty much on the dot. It closed Explorer, but not a picture I had open. I'm not using wallpapers (HP pre-installed one is the only one I've ever seen on here), and I checked the Colors Personalization menu and it was already turned off. This is another symptom of an automatic repair failure I believe. But I can't troubleshoot, I can't use Reset my PC, many of my apps don't work anymore...

timalan63

Jan 27, 2016
Visit site

i did that turned off accent colors or whatever and it still doing that refresh..
I upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10 on my wife's dell laptop and it refreshes every 30 seconds and like i said above i did that accent color by turning it off and still doing refresh..
is there another fix
thanks
timalan63

:shocked:

jerome flament

Jan 30, 2016
Visit site

I had the same issue and I have found a solution to fix the problem :
uninstall the IDT sound softwre from your computer and restart.
The problem is solved and the sound is still working !!!

Jerome

timalan63

Jan 27, 2016
Visit site

i installed windows update for my wife's laptop the windows update microsoft does for massive fixes and my wife's computer doesn't refresh anymore so they must have a fix on the newest update...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb