What a mess! MS didn't consider users could have moved 'Program Files' to different location

sven stursberg

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
I've tried to upgrade my Win7 desktop to Win10 yesterday and after downloading all the stuff ti told me it couldn't install it on this computer because the installation could be placed in a non supported directory.
Huh?
Ok, I found out it is because when I set up my Win7 I decided to relocate the default path(s) for the program installations in order to point to my D: drive.
This seems to be causing the trouble.
Besides the stupid inability of MS programmers to take something like this into account (why don't they just read what's in the current registry and copy that over while Win10 is installing?):
I guess I will have to move all my installed programs back to C:\Program Files (and the x64 equivalent) and to change the registry settings back to their default ones.

Or is there any other way (i.e. set this in the ISO files before attempting to upgrade)?

anon(5327127)

May 25, 2011
Visit site
"Ok, I found out it is because when I set up my Win7 I decided to relocate the default path(s) for the program installations in order to point to my D: drive."

Something tells me that a VERY low percentage, maybe even a single figure, do as you've done. As you've also entered the registry that's also something that the standard user wouldn't do. I have a feeling that you only have yourself to blame and your stance, at blaming MS, is a bit silly really.

You already know the answer so I'm thinking that you don't want an answer... you just want to complain.

adrian1338

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
It actually makes sense to move it off the partition because most tools don't need a reinstall even though your win partition is gone. .. so simply reinstall windows and start the applications from another partition.

WesleyBPeres

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
"Something tells me that a VERY low percentage, maybe even a single figure, do as you've done. As you've also entered the registry that's also something that the standard user wouldn't do. I have a feeling that you only have yourself to blame and your stance, at blaming MS, is a bit silly really.

You already know the answer so I'm thinking that you don't want an answer... you just want to complain.

When you have an SSD with 64GB or 120GB just to speed up the SO, you NEED to move the programs to other place, just the important ones can be on the SSD.

elindalyne

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
You're not supposed to move program files itself. You're supposed to tell the installer of whatever program you're installing to install to a different location. If the installer did not have an option to do so, its a bad installer and the blame goes to the software dev, not Microsoft.

If you really need to redirect program files to another location, the exact same method should work you used initially.

Right click on the folder -> Properties -> Location -> Move -> SomeOtherDrive:/

Peter Kraaijestein

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
The same problem with folders. I did relocate the OneDrive folder from C: to D: Windows 10 wants it on C:. Not a nice solution when you have a tablet with hardly any space left on C: Also very stupid decission to change OneDrive. Now you have the file on your coputer AND on Onedrive. During installation WIndows 10 asks you what files you want to sync. The default is ON for al files. So if you have a Terabyte of pictures, beware. You will get the warning "DIsk full".

sven stursberg

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
So, what do you guys, saying I've created the problem, do? Back in time, when I set up the PC with Win7 I used a 60GB SSD drive - the only size affordable for me back then.
That's the reason I have moved the programs directories...

Still I think that the folks at MS could have taken this option into account when working on a new OS - it's perfectly possible and ok for Win10 to detect and allow moved personal folders, such as 'My Documents', My Pictures' etc. pp. - so why not for other stuff?

But my actual question hasn't been answered yet:
Is there a way to modify the installation files (aka ISO) to reflect the change even before I start the upgrade process?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven