What key is the right one after the upgrade to Win10?

kklemn

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
what key is the right one after upgrade to win10?

Hello!
I really need some help!

I have a Lenovo laptop with win7 OEM key. the key is on the sticker. let's call it X.
before the upgrade I ran a magical jelly bean keyfinder, and the key there was different. let's call it Y.
after the upgrade to windows 10 (it activated of course), I ran the keyfinder again, and the key was completely different. let's call it Z.

I have all the keys safely stored in a txt file.

I want to do a clean install now, and I also want to write down the one key for all the future installs. which key is the correct one?
X - key on OEM sticker
Y - key that keyfinder found on activated win7 (before the upgrade)
Z - key that keyfinder found on activated win10

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Re: what key is the right one after upgrade to win10?

None of the above.

The correct thing to do is click "skip" when it asks for the product key. As you've upgraded that machine before, the hardware ID is stored at Microsoft and that is what will activate Windows 10.

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
i have the same problema, i did an test with the same software and found another key in my computer, then what is the right key? i had Windows 7 32 bits but was from my old computer that got broken and as the brands do not give you anymore the disc i used one disc from rivermdia and my key that my old computer had and my question then is if my authentic key that have is valid with 10 or the new key that could retrieve with magically keyfinder is my definitive key for 10?

best regards

Roderick Aspiras

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site

Don't do a clean install now as you may have problems when doing activation.

1. Upgrade to Windows 10. Keep everything.
2. If all goes well then go to 3.
3. Clean install by refreshing PC and keep nothing.

Important:

- backup files, drivers

Hello!
I really need some help!

I have a Lenovo laptop with win7 OEM key. the key is on the sticker. let's call it X.
before the upgrade I ran a magical jelly bean keyfinder, and the key there was different. let's call it Y.
after the upgrade to windows 10 (it activated of course), I ran the keyfinder again, and the key was completely different. let's call it Z.

I have all the keys safely stored in a txt file.

I want to do a clean install now, and I also want to write down the one key for all the future installs. which key is the correct one?
X - key on OEM sticker
Y - key that keyfinder found on activated win7 (before the upgrade)
Z - key that keyfinder found on activated win10

kklemn

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site

Yeah, I did it that way, and everything is fine... it would be nice, if ANY article at least mentioned, that after the upgrade, you can do a clean install and just press skip when it prompts for password... :)
Would have saved me a lot of reading time (news+forums+Q&A)
Don't do a clean install now as you may have problems when doing activation.

1. Upgrade to Windows 10. Keep everything.
2. If all goes well then go to 3.
3. Clean install by refreshing PC and keep nothing.

Important:

- backup files, drivers

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon