Why does my desktop screen keep flashing after installing Windows 10 and can't open anything?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Desktop screen keeps flashing after installing Windows 10 and can't open anything

After updating to Windows 10 turned my computer ont his morning and signed in. Now desktop screen appears but keeps blacking out and reloading. Unable to open anything and tried rebooting, still happening

Tinika Ellis

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
I gladly do this, but my Service tab list contains neither "Problem Reports and Solution Control Panel Support" nor "Windows Error Report Service" as tasks.

What now?

Thanks.

- Peter

Hello I couldn't find them neither so I restarted my computer followed the directions and they were closer to the bottom right and they're right next to each other

tcase99

Aug 16, 2015
Visit site
I tried the solution noted above (run task manager, file, msconfig, stop the two offending processes). It worked correctly. System now starts up and does not have the screen flashing.

I dredged up this web site while on the phone with Microsoft but they could not figure it out. Their answer was to put a $1400 hold on my credit card and replace the system. Mind you, this surface 3 pro system definitely has defects. It does not have the factory recovery procedures that you should have when you do the SHIFT-Restart (I get the Advanced option, but there is no option to restore to factory. There is only EUFI and Startup Settings. But at least now I can take an image of the Surface and continue to use it.

I would not feel so compelled to whine a bit, but this is a vanilla Surface 3 Pro. I've applied the Microsoft updates, moving from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 and have installed Microsoft Office Pro 2013 on it. THAT'S IT. I expect a better upgrade than this mess. BTW: the tech did say to not do the upgrade to windows 10 by using the Microsoft icon in the system tray. The advice was to go to a Microsoft "site" and download it from there. I find that very curious!

Last edited:

Linda Reheard

Aug 17, 2015
Visit site
From NualaMa on page 1:

Open task manager (Control+Alt+Delete)... under file (top left) "Run new task" ... type msconfig (yes it is hard to type as screen blinks, but it can be done) ... In the new box that opens (it may be behind the task manager box) go to Service Tab .... Scroll until you find 2 tasks that need to be stopped ... (1) Problem Reports and Solution Control Panel Support .... (2) Windows Error Report Service.... Disable these by unchecking .... Click Apply ... Click OK ... If you are prompted to restart, then restart computer .....

This is the main issue causing the screen to blink . .. Ironic that the items causing the errors are the solutions designed to report errors to microsoft

This definitely worked for me! Thanks NualaMa!

Worked great. Thanks. And I'm not even computer savvy.

Sarah Dallas

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
Re: Desktop screen keeps flashing after installing Windows 10 and can't open anything

I have exactly the same problem, I have done this fix but it hasn't worked, computer screen is still flashing
Both items have been disabled and computer restarted multiple times, can't figure out how to open in safe mode either, have tried F8 but it hasn't worked
What else can I try? I need the files on my computer ASAP

Edit: figured out how to run in safe mode, ran system restore to remove recent updates but leave files untouched. Problem appeared briefly to be fixed but soon returned.

Edit #2: after system restore + restart, had to then disable the two items and restart, appears to be resolved. Computer still in airplane mode as I'm too afraid to turn internet back on yet.

Last edited:

p_e

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
I figured out another solution, at least for me. Disabling those 2 services didn't work for me, but after multiple reinstalls and attempts I finally figured out the cause of the explorer crash-loop was Apple iCloud. I uninstalled that app and the problem is now solved. This might not be the problem for all of you, but I also figured out that the crash loop wasn't happening until a particular application or service started, so if you're able to watch the order that things load when windows boots, you can determine the application specific to your configuration.

paulssliv

Aug 22, 2015
Visit site
From NualaMa on page 1:

Open task manager (Control+Alt+Delete)... under file (top left) "Run new task" ... type msconfig (yes it is hard to type as screen blinks, but it can be done) ... In the new box that opens (it may be behind the task manager box) go to Service Tab .... Scroll until you find 2 tasks that need to be stopped ... (1) Problem Reports and Solution Control Panel Support .... (2) Windows Error Report Service.... Disable these by unchecking .... Click Apply ... Click OK ... If you are prompted to restart, then restart computer .....

This is the main issue causing the screen to blink . .. Ironic that the items causing the errors are the solutions designed to report errors to microsoft

This definitely worked for me! Thanks NualaMa!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon