Laptop's Fan is running at full speed since windows 10 update

technogeek019

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
Ever since i updated my laptop to windows 10, the fan has been running on full speed and i am not running anything intensive (just firefox), task manager shows some microsoft background task host and i really don't want to change back to 8.1. I wonder if any of you have that problem.

Model: Lenovo G510
Cpu: Intel Core I5-4200M @2.50ghz
Graphics: Amd Radeon HD 8570M (1gb)
Ram: 4gb DDr3

my969

Aug 4, 2015
Visit site
I got a Surface Pro 3 and got the same complaint as you since upgrading to windows 10, was thinking of going back to 8.1. Then I saw your post.
Yep the tablet gets very hot and the fan is whirring away and all I'm doing is browsing on edge.

David Feifer

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
How long has it been since you installed windows 10? There is some extensive post processing that takes place after the upgrade that could take up to 8-12 hours depending on the system.

When I updated one of my Lenovo's an application called Lenovo companion popped up. This creates the link for Lenovo software and driver installation. Just curious whether you installed this or not.

technogeek019

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
I got a Surface Pro 3 and got the same complaint as you since upgrading to windows 10, was thinking of going back to 8.1. Then I saw your post.
Yep the tablet gets very hot and the fan is whirring away and all I'm doing is browsing on edge.

Well i haven't used edge at all, infact all i have been using is firefox and the new music app to listen to some tunes

technogeek019

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
How long has it been since you installed windows 10? There is some extensive post processing that takes place after the upgrade that could take up to 8-12 hours depending on the system.

When I updated one of my Lenovo's an application called Lenovo companion popped up. This creates the link for Lenovo software and driver installation. Just curious whether you installed this or not.

Its been a day since i updated and yes i have lenovo campanion already installed on the computer

technogeek019

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
Well i am putting my computer at power saving mode and the fan is all normal but still its quite an inconvenience cause that means i can't do emulation like i normally do. Plus have you guys checked the temperature of the cpu, i use open hardware monitor and it showed my cpu temp around 85?C but ever since i put it on power saving it went down to 64?C. I wish i did that earlier cause it was running that way for the entire day. well i hope my laptop's fine

rtn1979

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Hello.
Same problem here on my HP Pavillion laptop since I installed Windows 10.
I tried updating all the drivers without luck.
Just waiting for a solution.....

technogeek019

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
well i think i have discovered the root cause of this its the runtime broker application. Whenever your fan speeds up just go to task manager and end the process, i know its inconvenient but what to do, lets hope microsoft fixes this soon

mgod182

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
Same happened with me and my Samsung laptop. A quick fix is to go to your system settings and turn your battery saver on. It'll dim your screen and hit your performance settings but if you're mainly just browsing it couldn't hurt. The second you flip the switch you should hear your fan start to ease up. Hope this helps.

djslofstra

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
No problems with my Lenovo Y50-70 2015 model (I7-4720HQ, GTX 960M, 8 GB RAM). I do have a strange problem that the start menu and some other taskbar apps don't work once in a while. A reboot helps but it's so annoying.

dsignori

Aug 4, 2015
Visit site
Mine is doing this today too. I installed Windows 10 yesterday. It ran OK yesterday, then this morning the fan won't stop. It is ridiculous. I have a Alienware Desktop. Ran fine on Win 7, ran fine yesterday on Windows 10, today the fan will not stop. There are lots of complaints about this, I really hope this is fixed soon.

Gregory Arthur

Aug 8, 2015
Visit site
Same problem, fan running full or almost full speed non stop, nothing open other than browser windows. High end Dell Studio XPS with 16 gb ram and SSD hard drive.. this is VERY annoying!!

anon(5327127)

May 25, 2011
Visit site

Funny as I don't have that issue on mine?

someone2639

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
I've turned on High Performance from the Power Options control panel and it turned my fan to quiet. Even my battery is somewhat better.

Wickie_72

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site
Same problem with my HP Elitebook but searching around my laptop I found that the WMI provider host for all network related activity was constantly draining 30-50% of processor power. Looking around a bit further I noticed that the culprit was the HP network app, and after shutting that one down my problem was 100% fixed. Worked for my HP but I guess problem could be similar for other systems.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes