Why does my Windows 10 upgrade hang up?

• Thread starter WPCentral Question
  • Start date
W

WPCentral Question

Windows 10 upgrade hangs up on

Try to upgrade windows 7 to windows 10. From first screen I click on "OK, lets continue". It goes to next screen that says it is "working on it..." and is still in that screen after 20 minutes.

Nikki Newell

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
same here. better not to upgrade and wait until they fix all the bugs. people are already losing their stuff and having computers go dead.

Jethro B

Aug 8, 2015
Visit site
Re: Windows 10 upgrade hangs up on

Yep, my wife's Toshiba laptop is doing exactly the same thing. My PC upgraded sort of okay but has a heck of a lot of display glitches.

Peppe Torres

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
I have the same problem. I left the PC overnight.
Eventually the "Working on It" gave up, I guess, as the upgrade was not done but the PC is still in 8.1 world.

I had done the upgrade on another Windows 8.1 PC with the same Hotmail account.
I would have expected a message, if that is the problem.

Yuryouko

Aug 11, 2015
Visit site
Guess it's better to wait.
Thank you for the answers. It's good to know i'm not the only one with te same issue. Hope they fix it as soon as possible.

lyttonmg

Aug 20, 2015
Visit site
I was having this problem, too, and found a solution on another site I thought I should share. Rather than use the system tray pop up to initiate the upgrade, go to Windows Update through your Control Panel and start the upgrade that way. I had to finish off some optional updates before the Windows 10 update was available by this method, but it seems to be working now (9%, fingers crossed).

That's not to say that waiting isn't a good idea. I've seen other reports of the display glitches mentioned here, and my wife is having some isolated software compatibility issues. I figured I should go for it anyway since my laptop was already displaying its age and was due for a fresh OS install.

_Emi_

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
I guess doing it through usb/dvd from mediacreationtool is easier and faster? maybe you could try it that way.

Yep, my wife's Toshiba laptop is doing exactly the same thing. My PC upgraded sort of okay but has a heck of a lot of display glitches.
Well this has nothing to do with Windows 10. it's drivers display. my dad has a dell computer, they have windows 10 drivers on their site but Windows 10 tries to update it. it seems it blinks with it. so I had to hide the display driver from windows update with the file Microsoft provides http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/2/2/F22D5FDB-59CD-4275-8C95-1BE17BF70B21/wushowhide.diagcab to hide updates. and now Windows 10 doesn't update the driver and the screen doesn't blink anymore.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon