11-04-2015 09:13 AM
73 123
tools
    Always back up before updating your OS. Same with your phone.
    JohnStrk likes this.
    08-16-2015 05:04 PM
    My windows 10 upgrade installed successfully, then I went to "Windows.Old" and started to copy over my files to their respective directories in windows 10, then all of a sudden, I got a blue screen, my computer rebooted then it came up saying "restoring previous versions of windows", !!!!! then it went back to windows 8.1 and all my files are gone because I copied over during windows 10. But I can see where my hard drive space is still being taken up by the files, so I know they are hidden somewhere, PLEASE MY SITUATION IS HORRIBLE I NEED HELP FINDING MY FILES PLEAASEE!!!
    08-16-2015 07:45 PM
    I AM HAVING THE EXACT SAME ISSUE AS WELL!!
    I have gone to the windows.old and there are no files in any of the folders!!
    I am gutted!! I have 11 years worth of baby and family photos in there!!!
    They better find them!!!!
    08-16-2015 10:58 PM
    Try download shadow explorer from shadowexplorer.com install the application and retrieve your files by simply exporting them back to your drive. It really works for me, yesterday I lose all my work in my laptop because of Windows 10 update, luckily I came across the forum of how to retrieve your files back using this application. Totaly legit.
    Wayne Harrell likes this.
    08-17-2015 01:30 AM
    do you know how to retreive them?? Telling us that we should have backed up everything doesn't do us any good! Helping if you can will!! I had all of my documents come across but somehow lost all of my pictures, music and videos. If I uninstall windows, will it all reappear or has the update process completely screwed with everything!?!?!
    08-17-2015 04:45 AM
    I mean, I feel bad for you all that lost any data, but to not backup your files, or use cloud storage as a backup, your really walking a tight-rope over shark and crocodile infested waters, without a balance and without a safety harness. Its harvesting honey in a bathing suit, while being allergic to bees............anotherwords - its kind of foolish. Again, I really feel bad for you, but every single article on the internet (and you have been able to find this forum, so you cannot plead complete ignorance) tells you to backup your data before updating your operating system.

Me personally, I have a external HD that I periodically migrate data to. But, I have fully embraced Onedrive, and I store literally everything there. All my documents, music, all my photos, videos, etc. For some reason, I trust Microsoft's cloud more than I trust any of the other storage companies, as they have been around the longest of them all. Every single photo and video that I take with my phone uploads direct.

You should have done a full system backup before you hit the "install Windows 10"
    JohnStrk likes this.
    08-17-2015 01:50 PM
    After searching and following all the instructions on here I realized I was logging in through my admin account. I logged onto my usual account and boom... All my photos and everything else! I feel like an ***** but perhaps this helps someone else. Good luck
    08-17-2015 05:56 PM
    David Beach1:
    You found your files on Network/.... - does that mean that they were in the cloud? Was your version of windows connected with the cloud (OneDrive?) the entire time?

See, I was not logged into the cloud (just logged in and out now, for the first time -- nothing there).

My files did carry over -- only certain ones didn't. For example, some of my photograph folders are empty now. I did not back up -- but might have SOME of the photos elsewhere, as well.

I am going to try and use the shadow explorer, as suggested in one of the posts below... this is just weird. Well, at least the folder names carried over.
    08-17-2015 10:22 PM
    Guys check and make sure your missing files haven't been made hidden. Turned out my missing files were just set on hidden for some reason.
    Hope this helps and good luck everyone.
    08-18-2015 01:04 AM
    Thanks. Shadow Explorer is the real deal. Been in a funk since losing about 25 G. of pics, tax docs, and music. Shadow Explorer will enable you to recover all the lost data.
    08-18-2015 07:50 PM
    Thanks, your suggestion was really helpfull.
    08-18-2015 09:43 PM
    That's why the Hard disk partition was invented. We make hard drive partitions to store our personal files on different partition than that in which windows is installed, and by doing so, we don't have to worry when we're upgrading windows, our files will stay where they were. C Drive for windows and Applications; D,E,F for our personal files. NO BACKUP NO WORRY until the HARD DRIVE fails!
    JohnStrk likes this.
    08-19-2015 12:35 PM
    Back.
    Up.
    Your.
    Data.

/repeat!
    //storage is cheap!!
    ///greater than 50GB of music; 2 copies is the living room; 2 copies in the basement; 1 copy in each car; 1 copy at Mom's house; 1 copy on the work PC; 1 copy in the cloud; and 1 copy in my phone!!!
    JohnStrk likes this.
    08-20-2015 04:55 PM
    So after many tense hours with me kicking myself for not backing up my files I am happy to report all is NOT lost!!! When you upgrade windows must automatically partician your pc. I found EVERYTHING, even my old desktop by going up to the top of the start menu and choosing the user named for my pc (example...mine is a toshiba and that is the user name) once you swith users you should find everything there!! YAY!!!!!
    08-24-2015 09:59 PM
    Hi. Windows 10 upgrade creates a new account for you automatically. This is your windows 10 microsoft admin account. It also upgrades your windows 7 account but does not set it as the default account. This becomes your local account and contains everything that you had in windows 7. To access it after the upgrade, just click start and go to the top of the menu. Click on your name and you should also see another account. Click on this account and wait a few moments while windows sets it up. In here you should find all of your old data. Next Back everything up to an external hard drive. Hope this helps
    JohnStrk likes this.
    08-25-2015 08:32 AM
    Hi all,
    So I was having the same issue. Lost data in a few days: images, documents, videos...all lost right after i did the W10 upgrade. First it was a random pic on my desktop that I almost didn't notice, I even thought I had deleted it by accident. But a few days later I tried to open a NEW file that I have been working a day before (psd file) and it was gone. After a quick look I saw that most files and folders were gone as well. In both the Desktop and Download folder. I could see them on the Quick Access but I got the "you can't open this file because blah blah" message every time I tried. Also, the Windows.Old folder was empty, nothing stored there.
    For all those people saying "make a backup!!" I have to tell you that I did make a backup. I have that habit since once one of my old laptops crashed. I don't have one but two external drives with all my stuff stored there. BUT I was really upset because even if I have backup on like 90% of the stuff I lost in my laptop I, however didn't on that new file. I don't know that if I upload X thing or i keep working on new files it'll be gone the next morning as well. Like, I have to save everything every 5 secs to an external drive now??!! Uff. Personally I do appreciate the concern all of those people mentioning the backup but really guys, if you keep giving lectures you're only frustrating the others and not really helping because that's not really the issue. The issue here is why W10 keep randomly deleting files after the upgrade. It.shouldn't.happen.

Anyway. The thing is that after looking and trying a lot of things to get back at least that one file, I tried the ShadowExplorer program someone suggested here and it worked. I didn't get back the psd file (honestly that was the only one I wanted back grrrr whatever) BUT all of the previous lost data was back. So yeah, it worked for me, kudos to the person that gave that solution.
    08-25-2015 01:24 PM
    Did you check your users accounts and your hidden folders?

Nothing will ever get deleted during a windows install... This has been the case going back to Windows 3.1 at least...

Your permissions might get changed, you might be logged in as a different user, but you will not lose your files.
    08-25-2015 04:36 PM
    You are the CHAMP :)...

Tnx alot friend... hope i can be of assistance some time :)
    08-31-2015 05:51 AM
    I lost some files, not all (thank God!) but I can't find those anywhere! I am very upset about it
    Helenetoile likes this.
    09-11-2015 10:31 PM
    I have the same issue although only my pictures have gone missing.
    So far i have:
    - Logged in as Administrator and Local, no help.
    - Used Shadow explorer but it only goes back to the date after I upgraded, not before which would have solved my problems
    - Moaned at Microsoft who recognise the problem but quote "you should have backed up your files"
    - I'm running a recuva search at the moment so hopefully will find something
    - kicked myself for falling for the 'free upgrade' and trusting MS.

If anyone has any other suggestions I'll write them a cheque (metaphorically) but seriously I would be very very grateful, lots of baby pics that will be sadly missed.

thanks
    Helenetoile likes this.
    09-13-2015 06:24 PM
    ^^^^^Welcome to the game...and yes it should have been backed up..You are not the only one....Have ever use One Drive cloud when you were taking those pic before?????????????
    JohnStrk likes this.
    09-13-2015 11:14 PM
    same here. I tried all the methods mentioned here and more. No trace of the missing files.
    09-15-2015 05:35 AM
    I followed nearly exactly the same steps as you did. Nothing turned back up. Nothing found. Recuva was too complicated for me and found more data than I could physically save. I ended up rolling back to win7.
    09-15-2015 05:38 AM
    I can't thank you enough for your comment! Found all my stuff using the link you provided that helped you recover your missing things. Anxiety defeated.
    09-18-2015 09:08 PM
    I had the same issue, but I looked high and low and found my data.
    Windows renamed a lot of my drives. So what was on the C Drive was moved to the new drive.
    I found my data under D: Users (Then your user name) and everything I had before was there. All the pictures I had, all the videos I had, everything that had gone to the C: Downloads folder, the lot. Previously my D Drive only contained things I specifically put there.
    The only thing I have not been able to recover is all the programs I had, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I'm reinstalling everything, and I'm now going to create a restore point in case Windows 10 decides to crap itself on me again.
    TechAbstract likes this.
    09-25-2015 11:58 PM
73 123