After doing the Windows 10 update registry fix, I can no longer log into my laptop

jarrett178

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
I tried that Windows 10 registry fix, and my laptop no longer recognizes my password. It keeps saying my password is incorrect. I got the update error on both of my laptops, but I tried the registry fix on an older laptop before I tried to fix it on my main laptop. My laptop starts fine and I get to the log in screen okay, but my password is no longer being recognized as correct.

Did I destroy my laptop? I followed the directions exactly.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Re: After doing the Windows 10 registry fix, I can no longer log into my laptop

What Windows 10 Registry Fix are you referring to?

jarrett178

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
Re: After doing the Windows 10 registry fix, I can no longer log into my laptop

What Windows 10 Registry Fix are you referring to?

What To Do?

The good news is, despite Windows 10’s best efforts, some industrious users have found a temporary fix to get rid of this bad registry entry. So before KB3081424 tries to install again quickly follow these instructions:

Type “regedit” in the Start menu
In the window that opens navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList
Backup your registry key as what you’re about to do is risky (with ProfileList highlighted, click File and Export and choose a backup name)
Then scan through the ProfileList IDs and delete any with ProfileImagePath found in it as it shouldn’t be there
Close regedit, reboot and next time KB3081424 should install properly

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
...where did you get that little tidbit? I think that following those instructions hosed your machine; ProfileImagePath looks to point to the filesystem location of the user account's profile on the machine (for instance, C:\Users\iamtim), which seems to me something you would NOT want to delete. Otherwise, how is Windows going to find a given account's folder when you log in with that account?

Of course, I could be wrong. That's why I'm asking for the source.

jarrett178

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
...where did you get that little tidbit? I think that following those instructions hosed your machine; ProfileImagePath looks to point to the filesystem location of the user account's profile on the machine (for instance, C:\Users\iamtim), which seems to me something you would NOT want to delete. Otherwise, how is Windows going to find a given account's folder when you log in with that account?

Of course, I could be wrong. That's why I'm asking for the source.
here's the link. I have under 10 posts so you just have to delete the spaces

google windows 10 crash loop. I can't post a link since I don't have 10 posts.

Gina Ravuth

Jan 19, 2016
Visit site
I did this exact same thing and now I no longer have much on my laptop including the files I had before I did this. Please let me know if you find a solution!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes