So, I installed Windows 10 right after it was released and my Cortana/Start Menu is still saying "We're Getting Search Ready." I understand it could take some time to index everything but its been days!
    08-11-2015 11:56 AM
    Hmm mine too about 5 minutes.

Seems thr instalation media got corrupted. Or your harddisk has a problem
    08-11-2015 12:08 PM
    Although this thread is a bit old, I was having this same issue, as well as not being able to search the settings. I thought I'd post my solution here, as I spent nearly a whole day on this annoying problem, including re-installing Windows 10.

In my case, it was to do with the whole regional settings requirement for Cortana to work.

After re-installing W10, I checked and the search was working perfectly in both start and settings. I launched Cortana and she said she needed to change the settings to be able to work - I had to change the voice to English (United Kingdom) in order to enable her. I rebooted, and then the search was broken again. I opened Control Panel/Region/Administrative and clicked on Copy Settings. And this is where I found my problem - the Display Language was set to English UK. It needs to be English (United States) - even if your PC is UK. As soon as this setting changes from USA it breaks the search.

To fix it, still in Control Panel and click on Language. Click on Options next to the English (United Kingdom) button and change the Display Language to English (USA). I simply had to log out and log back in again (did not have to restart), and my search was 100% fixed (plus Cortana seems to be more stable now).

This, after hours of indexing, restarting multiple times, rolling back to Win 8.1 and reinstalling the update... eesh, couldn't they have just said the Display Language is required to be USA?

Anyway, reviving an old thread in case it helps someone else.
    02-16-2016 04:30 PM