Where is temp directory for Windows 10 download?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

where is temp directory for windows 10 download

My oldest laptop which satisfies Windows 10 download requirements gave me a pop up tonight to distinctly give the impression that the unimaginable slow pace of my laptop today was probably due to Win 10 3 gig download.

I thought I'd clear up the unused icons on the desktop to leave a handful of folders including 'pre Win 10 instal'

When I checked the taskbar the message seemed to have seamlessly changed to 'downloading Windows 10' ..... now a 3 gig download at anything other than business speeds isn't what I had seen or bargained for....

Can anyone tell me (or everyone :) - where the temp folder is - as the 'View Download Progress' button appears to be as keen as the Office 97 paperclip helper - and so far every bit as useful! (Less actually as is irritatingly changes colour when you hover the mouse over it - but does nothing.

The paper clip was much keener a I'm sure many will remember with classic help lines like:

'It looks like you're writing a letter - would you like help?'
'Yes - I'd like to use a header, then standard text' - the wildly enthuasistic of us used to think had little drama, almost no data analysis or program specific difficult functionality built into the question.

Of course the answer "So, you'd like to convert this to Euros?" was always a disappointment. I have of course billed in Euros since 1997 - irrespective of global or other financial currency fluctuations...

I digress -whie little seems to be happening in the background or foreground of my free (apart from time, query to the general populus of planet earth and a mild desire in UK time to have missed this original - seemingly fabulous opportunity 'after I'd slept' - each of which a mid ranged court attorney would have at least demanded significant stress and suffering for ;)

If you have any quick answers - please reply here!

Thanks in advance,

Mike / UK

W

Windows Central Question

where is temp directory for windows 10 download

UPDATE : An hour later? Thanks to those who viewed AND PLEASE READ THIS INSTEAD OF THE FIRST QUESTION AS IT'S SIMPLY AN EXPANSION ON THE ORIGINAL!

-----

My oldest laptop which satisfies Windows 10 download requirements gave me a pop up tonight to distinctly give the impression that the unimaginable slow pace of my laptop today was probably due to Win 10 3 gig download.

I thought I'd clear up the unused icons on the desktop to leave a handful of folders including 'pre Win 10 instal' so a cleanish desktop with the usual array of unlikely to need pictures, music I'd promised to sort through since the gramaphone was 'the all new MP3 player of its time etc - but haven't) and a new folder of generic but virally checked dregs.

When I checked the taskbar the message seemed to have seamlessly changed to 'downloading Windows 10' ..... now a 3 gig download at anything other than business speeds isn't what I had seen or bargained for....

Can anyone tell me (or everyone :) - where the temp folder is - as the 'View Download Progress' button appears to be as keen as the Office 97 paperclip helper - and so far every bit as useless

(Less actually as is irritatingly changes colour when you hover the mouse over it - but does nothing = other than suggest interest or possible assistance).

The paper clip was much keener as I'm sure many will remember with classic help lines like:

'It looks like you're writing a letter - would you like help?'
'Oh Yes I said under my breath.. but clearly excited at my new digital secretary.. (knowing it had picked up my use of 'Microsoft Word' had majestically elevated my 'old PC' into some new AI never seen before).

Daringly I went for some starter questions as it pretended to be some kind of pseudo athletic piece of stationary - which although a futuristic 'digital paper clip' and knowing very little about stationery I always thought to be 'quirky'.

"I'd like to use a header, then standard text" - the wildly enthuasistic of us used to think had little drama, almost no data analysis or program specific difficult functionality built into the question.

Of course the answer "So, you'd like to convert this to Euros?" was always a disappointment. I have of course billed in Euros since 1997 - irrespective of global or other financial currency fluctuations...

I digress - whie little seems to be happening in the background or foreground of my free upgrade (apart from time, query to the general populus of planet earth and a mild desire in UK time to have missed this original - seemingly fabulous opportunity 'after I'd slept' - each of which a mid ranged court attorney would have at least demanded significant stress and suffering for ;)

If you have any quick answers - please reply here!

Thanks in advance,

Mike / UK

(Updated roughly an hour later ... I have the screen 'Great, We'll get the upgrade started')

Thanks for listening to the interim rant ... if you did

I'm off on Paperclip 2 now - If I'm lucky who knows, I might get iOS, Android etc lol

Best wishes to you all and thanks to Microsoft for the free upgrade

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: where is temp directory for windows 10 download

User... Do not create multiple threads on your issue. It actually works against you as any advice gets scattered around and a coherent conversation cannot develop as easily...

If you need to add additional information or want to post additional questions, please join the site so you can see the reply button and continue the conversation in the same thread you originally made.[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Re: where is temp directory for windows 10 download

Since it seems you got your installation process initiated (i.e. the download has been completed), not sure if the answer to your question would still be relevant. Nonetheless, there are two folders which you may want to check out:
C: > Windows > SoftwareDistrubtion > Downloads = users who encounter a certain error had been advised to delete the contents of this folder, which would re-initiate the download process of Windows 10, so it seems that this is where the temporary download files are stored in

C: > $Windows.~BT = this folder is hidden, but the size grows right up to the moment Windows 10 is ready to be installed, so it seems that this is where the actual files for the installation process are extracted to, i.e. from the previously indicated folder.

I'd think twice before deleting any of these two folders. The SoftwareDistrubtion > Download folder in my PC automatically got reduced in size a few moments-days after Windows 10 was installed.

You may want to create a Windows Central account - this would make it easier to consolidate and ask questions in the forums.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon