W10 SpyBot and Windows Defender?

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Hello,
I upgraded to Windows 10 and use SpyBot. I have noticed I have no antivirus and get warned to switch on Windows Defender.

I am checking Security and Maintenance and the option to Turn On Windows Defender is present. Clicking it does nothing.

Help?

Thanks,

Mr. V

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
You can check if Windows Defender is already running by typing "Windows Defender" in the start menu. Once it's up, if it is running, you'll see a calming green color on top saying that your PC status is "protected" and that your PC is being monitored and protected.

That should be sufficient for most user purposes. Windows Defender was able to detect a malware that was inherited from Windows 7 in one of the PCs I've upgraded, and in Windows 7 the PC had one of the "top" Anti Virus software in the market (I shall not name it). Although Windows Defender was able to stop the malware .exe from running but was unable to delete or quarantine it, it was easy to navigate to the folder and simply "shred" the .exe file, eradicating it permanently from the PC.

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
So I can't run SpyBot and Windows Defender?

Windows Defender should be enough?

Here is what the message I get with WD:

windows defender.jpg

And here is what I see when I go to the settings:

WDsettings.jpg

Is it on or off?
Thanks,

Mr. V

You can check if Windows Defender is already running by typing "Windows Defender" in the start menu. Once it's up, if it is running, you'll see a calming green color on top saying that your PC status is "protected" and that your PC is being monitored and protected.

That should be sufficient for most user purposes. Windows Defender was able to detect a malware that was inherited from Windows 7 in one of the PCs I've upgraded, and in Windows 7 the PC had one of the "top" Anti Virus software in the market (I shall not name it). Although Windows Defender was able to stop the malware .exe from running but was unable to delete or quarantine it, it was easy to navigate to the folder and simply "shred" the .exe file, eradicating it permanently from the PC.

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Looks like Windows Defender is off. Spybot probably took over. Spybot free version doesn't have antivirus protection so probably why you get the notification from Windows. Panda Free Antivirus 2016 is pretty good if you want to use that. It has no popups.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Well, one side says that it is turned off, but the settings page implies that it is turned on (you just can't change the settings since they're greyed out). So far, Windows Defender seems to have been sufficient for me. I get definition updates almost everyday similar to my experience with my previous anti-virus software.

You could try removing, disabling or uninstalling SpyBot - afterwards you should be able to change the settings that has been greyed out at this moment.

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
I am sort of curious why spybot would not allow windows defender to run - so they can sell their own?

It's normal for other antivirus software to disable windows defender. Windows defender is also an antivirus software. You don't want two antivirus software active at same time. Spybot free version does not have antivirus protection. Windows probably detected that Spybot free is not an antivirus software. My guess is bad programming part on Spybot.

Jonie HB

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
Hi there!
I researched around for a solution for this problem.... I have yet to try it myself, but what I suggest is that you try installing an older version of Spybot (i.e. 1.6..... version).

Tagette

Oct 19, 2015
Visit site
I was able to get Windows defender to work again by turning off the Security Center Service in the Spybot Settings.
Right click the spybot system tray icon -> Advanced Tools -> Settings.
Under the System Services tab I stopped the Security Center Service.

I mainly use Windows Defender as my anti-virus.
I use the free SpyBot as a redundant scanner.

Edit:
After restarting the problem came back. To stop this uninstall the service by clicking the dropdown button next to the stop button and choosing uninstall. Then it will stay stopped after a restart.

Last edited:

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Hi there!
I researched around for a solution for this problem.... I have yet to try it myself, but what I suggest is that you try installing an older version of Spybot (i.e. 1.6..... version).

Never thougth of that I thought it auto updated the versions. What version did you get? And it worked with Windows Defender?

Thanks,

Mr. V

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes