Remove restricted mode without turning off safe search

3DPiper

Dec 13, 2008
Visit site
When my son tries to watch YouTube movies, it says "The Video is unavailable with Restricted Mode enabled. To view this video, you will need to disable Restricted Mode."

The only way I have found to disable restricted mode is to turn off safe search. I'd rather leave that on.

Any other way to disable restricted mode?

3DPiper

Dec 13, 2008
Visit site
Leave it off Safesearch is 0% effective anyway in blocking offensive content.

Clearly you have never had to do a report searching for pics of 'teacher and student'.

tonyr6

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
Google safesearch is no where near safe or anything.
Search for "my cat eats his whiskers" with the useless safesearch on.
Just look at the 5th link with safesearch. Vulgar profane crap with a harmless search with safesearch and you tell me it is safe.

Also not to rant again but I have Google useless safesearch on and restricted mode off on Youtube and I am able to watch videos fine. I only turned on useless safesearch back on because it no longer blocks harmless videos from Youtube because it leaves restricted mode off when before if you turned it on Google it will turn it on YouTube and visa versa but as you can see it does not work so I might turn it off anyway as it does block a few innocent sites that are "not offensive" useless and not kid friendly or any friendly.

Edit again. Did the same search in Bing with no offensive link on the first page. I notice Bing blocks offensive content on with its safe search better. Still not perfect but it is better than the 0% effective of Google.

Last edited:

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Just out of curiosity

Why exactly are you afraid that your kids would see something "offensive"
Isn't it just best to explain what Is right or wrong and how things works.
I grew up just fine watching "offensive" things without anyone's knowledge. Kids will always find a way. It's natural.

And a hint. Don't tell your kids that they don't understand or whatever and listen.

tonyr6

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
What people who don't get offensive remember that Google Search does not turn on Safe Search by default so you are not forced to use it.

3DPiper

Dec 13, 2008
Visit site
Arg..

According to this thread:

"YouTube respects the Prefer:Safe header used by Firefox and Internet Explorer when parental controls are turned on. YouTube currently does not provide any workaround or override capability for content that they don't consider "safe for kids". To get Internet Explorer and Firefox to not send this header, you need to make sure Web Filtering AND Web Activity Reporting are both turned off for your account."

Web Filtering and Web Activity Reporting are exactly why I want to use family settings in the first place.. :(

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon