That's why Windows 10 is much WORSE than 8.1 on Tablets

Status
Not open for further replies.

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Yep it's been a fight for a year now. Win 10 has barely improved for Tablets at all. Edge is also missing any semblance of touch mode that functions like Metro IE. Been really frustrating, before RTM people were going on about telling us to stop complaining because the OS isn't done and now that is officially released in a horrible state for Tablets people have gone quiet.

Still need a ton of options and GUI tweaks to make Win 10 as good on Tablets as Win 8.1 was.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Started back on Jan 27, 2105. 133 pages later, and MS still ignored, sweeper under the rug, all the suggestions. Fraking pitiful. :angry:

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Microsoft doesnt care. Look how quickly they announced support for the ipad pro and new watchOS yet months of feedback on their own OS is ignored. Stick with Windows 8 and stop worrying about stuff that'll never happen unless it has an apple logo on it....

_Emi_

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
That's some users opinions. why don't you find the ones that say how Windows 10 is better than 8.1?
Oh yeah because that's not what you want to hear and you will say if someone like me says Windows 10 is better than windows 8.1 on tablet mode, you would probably think I am wrong.

what was so great about Windows 8? it was okay, but it was all about swipes and hidden UI elements, that didn't make a good experience for most people, and some pixels used for UI elements wouldn't hurt anyones tablets that's just a small example why windows 10 is better, now it's not like Ninja Fruit OS making gestures left, right, up, down (like a cheat on snes)

so it's your opinion, mine is different. that's how things work. so no, it doesn't suck, it sucks for YOU. don't talk like you are the voice of every tablet user in the world.

Microsoft doesnt care. Look how quickly they announced support for the ipad pro and new watchOS yet months of feedback on their own OS is ignored. Stick with Windows 8 and stop worrying about stuff that'll never happen unless it has an apple logo on it....

oh please. stop bringing that crap. Microsoft won't cross their arms and don't put their apps anywhere they can. I am glad you don't do business, you would probably sit and wait for the competition (in this case many office alternative) to catch and make you irrelevant.
Microsoft is a software company, and their OSs are fine. they are making Windows Mobile 10 and universal apps to help improve the store. also they are making Windows as a Service to improve the user experience without waiting 3 years for a new version.
iPad Pro is nothing but another toy from Apple, it's not Pro, it doesn't run OSX and the OSX professional software.

and Microsoft has been fixing a lot of element on Windows 10 as shown on recent insider previews. but they are humans anyway, I am sure you are clueless about how big Windows OS code is. but if you think everything is done by the press of a button and everything will be fixed 1 month and 10 days (or whatever) after release, then you are just that, another clueless person on internet.
Microsoft is working fast, and they will provide updates sooner or later. if not, go OSX or Linux, I am sure they are better tablet OSs compared to Windows 10 /s
or better yet, go android or iOS, they are better for touch, because that's all they do, even if they say it's iPad Pro, and split crap and all, but they won't run win32 apps and they won't do anything good with mouse and keyboard compared to windows (of course).

Windows 10 works fine on touch. it's complainers like you that keep bringing this crap only because you want to complain about something that has NOTHING to do with the tablet UI and Windows 10 like it's the limited office mobile apps on limited iPad toy "pro".

Windows 10 is hybrid, it's the only OS trying to do something about it. you can say "stay on Windows 8" but do you think store apps and games will be always Windows 8 compatible? I am talking about tablet/desktop/mobile
Being windows 10 free for a year and Mobile free as well and released to most phones, we should expect most developers not to care about 8 users anymore.

Like Windows 8 users used to tell to XP and 7 users.

"Keep living in the past" :)

NatKingColeslaw

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
I won't be quiet, I'll gladly speak up--I use my tablet 10 times more now that it's on Windows 10 than I ever did when it was on 8 and 8.1. I find it more intuitive, more user friendly, and much more enjoyable.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

missionsparta

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I won't be quiet, I'll gladly speak up--I use my tablet 10 times more now that it's on Windows 10 than I ever did when it was on 8 and 8.1. I find it more intuitive, more user friendly, and much more enjoyable.

Windows 10 is a pile of **** on tablets. Congrats, you got your lame *** start button back, because you guys were to lazy to figure out how to swipe from the right. :p

NatKingColeslaw

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
Windows 10 is a pile of **** on tablets. Congrats, you got your lame *** start button back, because you guys were to lazy to figure out how to swipe from the right. :p

I know how to swipe in from the right. That's 2 keystrokes though, when the traditional start button is 1 keystroke. I thought all you hardcore tablet nazis were all about efficiency. ;)

missionsparta

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I know how to swipe in from the right. That's 2 keystrokes though, when the traditional start button is 1 keystroke. I thought all you hardcore tablet nazis were all about efficiency. ;)

Holy ****! Two moves???? We need to get you to a gym. And the start menu is two moves also....one to open it and whatever you have to do from there.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
oh please. stop bringing that crap. Microsoft won't cross their arms and don't put their apps anywhere they can. I am glad you don't do business, you would probably sit and wait for the competition (in this case many office alternative) to catch and make you irrelevant.
Microsoft is a software company, and their OSs are fine. they are making Windows Mobile 10 and universal apps to help improve the store. also they are making Windows as a Service to improve the user experience without waiting 3 years for a new version.
iPad Pro is nothing but another toy from Apple, it's not Pro, it doesn't run OSX and the OSX professional software.

and Microsoft has been fixing a lot of element on Windows 10 as shown on recent insider previews. but they are humans anyway, I am sure you are clueless about how big Windows OS code is. but if you think everything is done by the press of a button and everything will be fixed 1 month and 10 days (or whatever) after release, then you are just that, another clueless person on internet.
Microsoft is working fast, and they will provide updates sooner or later. if not, go OSX or Linux, I am sure they are better tablet OSs compared to Windows 10 /s
or better yet, go android or iOS, they are better for touch, because that's all they do, even if they say it's iPad Pro, and split crap and all, but they won't run win32 apps and they won't do anything good with mouse and keyboard compared to windows (of course).

Windows 10 works fine on touch. it's complainers like you that keep bringing this crap only because you want to complain about something that has NOTHING to do with the tablet UI and Windows 10 like it's the limited office mobile apps on limited iPad toy "pro".

Windows 10 is hybrid, it's the only OS trying to do something about it. you can say "stay on Windows 8" but do you think store apps and games will be always Windows 8 compatible? I am talking about tablet/desktop/mobile
Being windows 10 free for a year and Mobile free as well and released to most phones, we should expect most developers not to care about 8 users anymore.

Like Windows 8 users used to tell to XP and 7 users.

"Keep living in the past" :)

I see you got all the Win 10 talking points, kudos. Everyone who doesnt jump on the bandwagon is a complainer, cool story bro. I like how you bashed the ipsd pro, nothing like an apple event to bring out the insecure fanboys to reel off the "universal" advantage.....

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
The easiest way I can put this

Win 8.1 worked like a Book on a tablet, full screen experience, natural gesture based flow and movements. Using a book is natural in a tablet form factor and Win 8.1 nailed it.

Win 10 is like using a hammer and chisel on a tablet, clunky, no gesture flow, no real full screen experience, wasted screen space with desktop oriented GUI's, taskbars, tab bars etc no full screen web browsing experience.

Win 10 is simply factually less efficient for touch, you literally have to move your hand around more to do the same things you could do in Win 8.1. Win 10 also factually uses more screen space for static GUI elements.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
attachment.php

Attachments

• DBC3.jpg
    DBC3.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 112

missionsparta

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site

Win 8.1 worked like a Book on a tablet, full screen experience, natural gesture based flow and movements. Using a book is natural in a tablet form factor and Win 8.1 nailed it.

Win 10 is like using a hammer and chisel on a tablet, clunky, no gesture flow, no real full screen experience, wasted screen space with desktop oriented GUI's, taskbars, tab bars etc no full screen web browsing experience.

Win 10 is simply factually less efficient for touch, you literally have to move your hand around more to do the same things you could do in Win 8.1. Win 10 also factually uses more screen space for static GUI elements.

Yep.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

"Win 10 is like using a hammer and chisel on a tablet" Wow, it's not that bad, If you really think so, you better roll back to 8.1 RIGHT NOW.

Here's how I can put it.

In a sales aspect, no matter HOW MUCH YOU LOVE OR LUST IT, Windows 8.1 is a complete failure acording to Microsoft. Sure, it can be said, 8.1 is better for a tablet, No question, I wont fight this aspect.

Microsoft needed to bury the failing 8.1, and move on. You need to stick with WIndows 8.1 or move on to Windows 10.

Complaining on a forum like this will get nothing done. Complaing right to Microsoft MIGHT help.

Your ONLY saving grace is that Microsoft is commited to Windows 10 and has heard the complains from 8.1 fans. In time it should get better.

So, roll back to 8.1 (you reseved 10 right so can upgrade later) or dont upgrade, Watch the fourms, and if it gets better upgrade, you have a year to get the free upgrade (well 11 months or so).

I have been using WIndows from 2.0, I have learned complaing in a fourm will do NOTHING about changing this, no matter how much you love or hate something on a Microsoft proudct And if 10,000 people want something, they can care less, they are after the billions of users.

Kevin Hill2

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
I personally think Windows 10 on my tablet is 100% better, I enjoy using my tablet so much more on 10. If you don't like it, don't use it, you do have a choice. It's not like they took 8.1 away from you. So why complain about something you really don't have to use? You are complaining and fighting over something that really has no meaning, Roll back and enjoy your tablet.

Talldog

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
I use my Surface Pro 3 in tablet mode at least 75% of the time, and I'm much happier with Windows 10 mainly because I wanted the taskbar. The plain truth is that most modern apps are way underpowered, and desktop apps are going to be in the picture for probably a long time. If I'm running a mix of desktop/modern, I want the taskbar. I also want my tray icons to always be there. I actually turned off most of the swiping stuff in 8.1 because it got in my way. My suspicion is that this is the majority view, or Microsoft wouldn't have done it. They don't make changes like this just to **** off the entire world.

Having said that, I'm sure that over time some of the 8.1 stuff will come back. For instance, I can't imagine that it would be difficult to implement an option to turn off the taskbar in tablet mode if that's the way you like it. And it seems like it would be possible to switch the way that swipe in from the left works, among other things.

anon(5327127)

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Here is an AMAZING solution....

STAY ON WINDOWS 8!

P.s. I have a Surface Pro 3, i3 model, to which I've disabled the tablet mode and, instead, enabled the full screen start menu and the keyboard pops up when within a dialog box. Overall I don't miss Windows 8.1.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Windows 8 was great. I used it on my Surface RT, my non-touch laptop, and my work desktop.

Windows 8.1 was great. I used it on my Surface RT, my non-touch laptop, my 2-in-1 touch laptop, and my work desktop.

Windows 10 is great. I use it on my ASUS tablet, my 2-in-1 touch laptop, and my work desktop.

Microsoft can't win, because few are the users who can look beyond "OMGDIFFERENTISBAD!" to see why certain changes were made to see what is being done. With Windows 8/8.1, keyboard and mouse users bitched that it was too "touch". With Windows 10, tablet users bitched that it's too "desktop".

Maybe everyone should quit playing the extremes and look at the reality: Microsoft has finally created an operating system that works the same on many platforms and equally well on "touch" as it does "desktop". I feel no sympathy for people whinging about having to tap the Start button in the lower-right corner as opposed to swiping in from the right. Or having to swipe-and-tap as opposed to swiping repeatedly to switch applications. It's not that big of a change, really.

SammyD97

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I can't say Windows 10 is a 100% better to use on my tablet and I can't say the opposite either. For one, I don't like how the task view is full screen. I prefer the old column/list on the side. I have the taskbar on auto hide so it doesn't bother me all that much. I do wish the start button was better positioned in tablet mode though. Something similar to where it was placed on the charms menu. Forward and backward swipes on Edge would be nice too. Well its also very very buggy on my end (hopefully will get ironed out soon). But overall Windows 10 is OK. Oh and that wasted space on the the start screen... wish I could have four medium tiles side by side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes