I'm not loving windows 10 on my surface pro 2

barbaram

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I got windows 10 the instant it came out. A friend e mailed me asking how I liked it. This is what I told her

"Well…frankly, I haven't found anything that makes my life easier, but a lot of what they say is great about it is stuff I can’t see since I am not a computer person.

And some stuff is driving me crazy

1. No ad block. I don’t mind polite ads on sidebars, heck, I have found them helpful. But those dam propovers make me scream. I have seen some workarounds, but they all warn that they are iffy, so I’m holding off, but…

2. No 'help’. You are out there all alone. Microsoft always had miserable help, now they have none at all. Just try to find your favorites!!! Ha.

3. When this was announced they said we would be able to label and tag all photos on one drive. Well, it might be here, but there’s no help so..

4. Cortana is on this. But I haven’t found her to be much use on my phone, so…

5. Also, I can’t get it to open the internet with bing, and I love my bing pictures

I think you will have to change, but I wouldn’t rush"

I still feel the same way as I did when I first got this system. Does anyone who is not a computer genius like this? I am so sick of ads I'm ready to scream.

Last edited by a moderator:

_Emi_

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
1. you can use host file to block ads... that's the only good alternative, which also means you can just use another browser or use AdFender and make it work with windows Edge but some apps don't like the proxy thing so it's not something I would recommend. host file is good and it blocks things, what else do you want?
Yeah using host blocks everything everywhere, you can't choose what sites or not. but it's fine, it works fine and if you don't want ads you should try it. it's not like it does anything special, they are just many lines on host folder. if you don't trust the .bat file they give you, well you can do it yourself. Open notepad as admin, (or notepad++ which makes easier to add and delete and replace all these lines) then you go to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts
go to http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.txt
select all with ctrl + a then you right click copy and paste on a blank space after all the lines Hosts have by default.
and that's all.

2. Help? why do you even need help, Edge is a simple browser, some people even complain about how simple it is. good is you aren't forced to use Edge, but it imports favorites from user/favorites but as a "Windows Store" app, the settings goes to %USERPROFILE%\AppData\local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AC\MicrosoftEdge\User\Default\Favorites

But you can do it inside Edge, create, delete, move, why do you need to see any help for that?
and if you want to massively move folders and files to one folder to another and delete massively, well, you can find the folder of favorites yourself (which I just gave you the path) But let's be honesy, most users don't need to see that kind of path, they don't need to move 100 favorites inside a folder to organize things.

3. "no help" again? oh wow...
Well they kind of said that, about albums and tags and such.
But like you mention it's "ONEDRIVE", if you go to OneDrive you can see how you can tag and make your albums and all.
Maybe you didn't hear this but Windows is a service now and they will eventually deliver this kind of stuff on the Photos apps.
I mean Photos app don't even have OneDrive photos to be shown by default, and they don't grab albums I have created, or Tags. so yes, it's incomplete but I can still do things on OneDrive site, for when everything is available and easily accesible through photos app.
But only because it doesn't do things now, it doesn't mean they will never do those things Microsoft talked about.
Again, go to OneDrive and check stuff yourself, everything is there, but it's not in photos app yet. so they just need to released someday.
Just like extensions which will give an AdBlocker eventually.
it's WIP, like it or not, now Windows 10 is not a complete thing and it will keep evolving. July 29th was just a stable release everyone can get, but it's just the beginning not the ending.

4. Well, some people will find good in Cortana, some people think it's amazing and useful. but you can ignore it and be good. like you said, for some people it doesn't add anything important, not a problem with that.

5. well like I said, Edge browser is simple, too simple some would say. but sometimes you need to click and do more effort to find what you want. change Edge homepage to Bing? well... that's easy as just....
wait, you say there is no help? but Change your home page - Windows Help -
shows you otherwise.

I know it's easier to complain, and complain more about anything, but sometimes a Bing search is not hard to do, for example type: "how to show libraries windows 10" and you will see a nice gif showing you that. and that's just a small way to get things done on Windows 10 if you don't know about them.

And of course the "you can switch browsers" is not a problem with Windows, you need to find what's best for you or what is less complicated for you. other browsers would have adblock or extensions to download videos easily (this is why I have a portable firefox on my computer), and easier way to manage your favorites, or anything. anything that makes your life easier and better would always be the best.
If you can't wait for Edge to get features and be cool like other browsers, then there are other alternatives.

anon(5327127)

May 25, 2011
Visit site
"Well…frankly, I haven't found anything that makes my life easier,

1. No ad block. I don’t mind polite ads on sidebars, heck, I have found them helpful. But those dam propovers make me scream. I have seen some workarounds, but they all warn that they are iffy, so I’m holding off, but…

2. No 'help’. You are out there all alone. Microsoft always had miserable help, now they have none at all. Just try to find your favorites!!! Ha.

3. When this was announced they said we would be able to label and tag all photos on one drive. Well, it might be here, but there’s no help so..

4. Cortana is on this. But I haven’t found her to be much use on my phone, so…

5. Also, I can’t get it to open the internet with bing, and I love my bing pictures

Eh? So.. Action center, on your Pro 2, isn't the best thing ever? Simply being able to adjust the brightness, turn off BT and wi-fi with ease? You've found NOTHING that you like?

:)

barbaram

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Yes. I'm not alone in wanting help. Please tell me how you found where your favorites were hidden.

If you found some sort of help or instructions on how to label tag and organize photos on one drive, which I understood to be part of windows 10, kindly direct me. All I see is naming files and albums. I would like to be able to tag photos. I understood that to e a windows 10 improvement to one drive. It may be but without help I can't find it

patternjake

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
You are not alone, I didn't upgrade my Surface for this reason, the touch UI on Windows 10 is terrible compared to 8.1.
Regarding the help, Microsoft had some really good quality help on Windows Vista and Windows 7. That died of when Windows 8 was released unfortunately.

loribinca

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
Not going to keep adding what everyone else says that It's a step back for touch - it is

but what really annoys me is that they've got so many driver bugs for their OWN hardware - the SD card reader has a know issue that causes battery drain is just one of them

How they could not find and test these before they released on their OWN hardware is frankly disgraceful.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon