Modern IE alternative for Win 10 found

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
So I'm also one of the rare people that loved Win 8.1, loved it alot on Tablets and pretty much hate the direction MS has gone in with win 10 nuking the gesture flow and removing Modern IE. Edge does not have a real full screen touch mode like modern IE does or even ad block support.

So I've been on a long search to find a Win 10 web browser that could replace the way modern IE works. I have tweaked and tried to make IE/Chrome/Opera/Firefox work in a full screen touch mode with no luck.

I stumbled across Yandex doing web searches and really like this browser. I have no affiliation with them but thought others might want to give it a try in Win 10 on their tablet.

It is still in Beta and their are a few issues closing tabs and going back to the home screen on a touch device. I pinged the support team and they got back to me that they are ware of it and working on it.

It is a pretty much a fullscreen/transparent browser based off a chrome/opera hybrid. Full featured, supports extensions, AD Block, Speed Dial Metro Home page. tabs are color coded at the bottom and are actually live tile tabs. Really an amazing design I'm super impressed.

https://browser.yandex.com/

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Out of curiosity, what's wrong with Chome? In tablet mode it functions more or less the same as Modern IE did.

I want a full screen web browser that is touch friendly like Metro IE. Firefox/Chrome/Opera have full screen modes where you tend to get stuck in without a keyboard attached to hit F11, Chrome speed dial add ons tend to be clunky, opera is good for speed dial but no touch swipes to go to or back to pages. Basically any web browser you use now is full of compromises in Win 10 as far as tablets go because MS did not port over Metro IE.

Once this browser which is still in Beta fixes a couple of issues it will be a valid no compromise solution to replace metro IE in Win 10

Last edited:

SonOfDad

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the heads up I was happy with modern IE as well I don't find edge does a satisfactory job for desktop or tablet.

marpamcy

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site
I just downloaded this browser. An inventive new way of browsing the web. I like the modern interface and even if its a beta release it looks promising. It has some interesting extensions and since it has an adblocker i will give it a try. Thanks for sharing this.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon