Is there a task manager with killing processes ability in Windows Mobile 10 ?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

By task manager i mean something like the task manager in Windows 7/8/10 or Android.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
By task manager i mean something like the task manager in Windows 7/8/10 or Android.

I almost said "yes" because I thought you meant windows 10 desktop.. in any case, no there is no task manager unless you consider tapping and holding the backbutton to access all open apps a task manager. However that is an effective way to completely shut down an app, if that's what you were looking to do

hprvez

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
There's no use for that, users should not be responsible for the processes lifecycle on a mobile os. Unless its meant to patch a memory management flaw intrinsically present in the "os" like on android

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I don't believe there is a way to "kill" an app. Case in point - if you launch Groove and start playing music - holding down the back button and swiping down on Groove does not stop the music. If it was killing the app, the music should stop.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I don't believe there is a way to "kill" an app. Case in point - if you launch Groove and start playing music - holding down the back button and swiping down on Groove does not stop the music. If it was killing the app, the music should stop.

Valid point, but this only seems to be the case with groove.. either a bug or the music app isn't sandboxed

Rafael Yousuf

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
Valid point, but this only seems to be the case with groove.. either a bug or the music app isn't sandboxed

It isn't a bug, that is for sure.
See, when an app wants to play music in the background, it initiates a special background task which handles music playing, pausing, next and previous commands.
This task has its own special rules, basically the OS keeps it alive as long as there are music playing. However the task could be killed by the OS if the user pauses the music for a certain amount of time, if the phone is calling/called someone for more than 5 minutes or if another app requires music to play in the background/foreground. In this case the OS informs the task that it will be killed and it will have around 5 seconds to save user data and exits.
This task is self contained, so killing the app that initiates it wont kill the actual task.

You ask how i know this, i say MSDN documentation and the fact that i am developing a music streaming app.

tl;dr -> This is not a bug, it is by design.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Well there needs to be one. I occasionally run into something that won't kill no matter what, only a reboot will get rid of it. Scenario: mail app gets stuck modifying settings on an account. Kill mail app, relaunch, you can't modify any other account because the account manager, which you can't kill, is still stuck.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
It isn't a bug, that is for sure.
See, when an app wants to play music in the background, it initiates a special background task which handles music playing, pausing, next and previous commands.
This task has its own special rules, basically the OS keeps it alive as long as there are music playing. However the task could be killed by the OS if the user pauses the music for a certain amount of time, if the phone is calling/called someone for more than 5 minutes or if another app requires music to play in the background/foreground. In this case the OS informs the task that it will be killed and it will have around 5 seconds to save user data and exits.
This task is self contained, so killing the app that initiates it wont kill the actual task.

You ask how i know this, i say MSDN documentation and the fact that i am developing a music streaming app.

tl;dr -> This is not a bug, it is by design.

Yea you learn new things when you need to hehe but on a serious note, thanks for the crash course :)

Rafael Yousuf

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
that would be great. Hanging processes in the background are the number 1 problem for fast draining batterys. if you had the ability to kill such processes...

WP does that automatically. If an app takes more than 10 seconds to launch or took to long to suspend (i think more than 5 seconds) then the OS will kill the app saying "Screw you, let's nuke this app".
I think however, only the OS process that hang can't be killed by the OS and this is not that bad since MS does alot of testing, but giving control to users on killing these processes might be a bit of an overkill for a "Mobile" OS

Last edited by a moderator:

milkyway

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
WP does that automatically. If an app takes more than 10 seconds to launch or took to long to suspend (i think more than 5 seconds) then the OS will kill the app saying "F*ck you, let's nuke this app".
I think however, only the OS process that hang can't be killed by the OS and this is not that bad since MS does alot of testing, but giving control to users on killing these processes might be a bit of an overkill for a "Mobile" OS

wow, did not know that. thank you!

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
^yep, any app that says "resuming" for too long will get killed, wp is the kind of OS you can predict and expect to do the same every single time, there's no way any buggy app can hang around and kill the battery

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss