Preparing to Install 32% (Stuck)

TheLumaniac

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
Full story: I turned on my laptop, opened Windows Update, checked for updates. The Fall Update (TH2) appeared and I started downloading it. I downloaded it and now it's been stuck for an hour at 32% at the "Preparing to Install" step. What am I supposed to do? Is this normal?

tbsteph

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
If you have a SD slot make sure it is empty. FWIW, I could not update a Surface 3 (Stopped at about 40%) because I had a SD card installed. Removed same and tried again with no problems.

Jonnie LasVegas

May 15, 2014
Visit site
I've had the same problem on my home PC. Would get stuck at 32%. I'd restart then it'd get stuck at 44%. Restarted then it got stuck at 16%. Argh!
I've read that at 32% it had something to do with drivers needing updates. So I did that. Didn't help. Don't have an SD card or external hard drive connected. So I'm at a loss. Kind of frustrating that it's so difficult to just update my PC!

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
If you have a SD slot make sure it is empty. FWIW, I could not update a Surface 3 (Stopped at about 40%) because I had a SD card installed. Removed same and tried again with no problems.

Exact same issue with mine. I am low on battery so I cannot do the install right now. but I will try it again without the SD card and go from there!

BB_Nicky86

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
I have a Venue 8 Pro, so I can hard boot and not worry then? It's been at 40% since last night...I'm sure it's stuck. I forgot to remove my SD card as well.

Ashish Gupta888

Retired Ambassador
Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Okay..so I am not alone:-D
I am also facing this issue..restarted my PC several times but no luck so far..I hope someone gets a solution for this..

Ashish Gupta888

Retired Ambassador
Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
I'm thinking of using the .iso file, but... is it safe to do that while Windows Update is at the "Preparing to Install" step?

Not sure, it may impact the overall update process.
If I would be in your shoes then I would give it another try tomorrow (as the time passes by server will not be processing too much of requests) and if that won't work then I will be left with following options:
1. Install it through ISOs
2. Reset my PC
3. Wait for another Windows update that may trigger TH2 update

TheLumaniac

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
After several hours of waiting, it finally got the latest update! Not sure how though...Here's what happened:

Windows Update was stuck for over an hour at the 'Preparing for installation 32%" step. I closed every other program and waited for about an extra hour and it finally started working (I wasn't using my laptop at all for an hour + it was charging). I restarted my laptop, but the update failed (I did not even see the black screen with the circle).

I opened Windows Update, clicked "Check for Updates" and I was asked to restart my laptop (again). I restarted it and after a couple of hours everything seems to be ok.

I'm not sure if this helps in any way, but I wanted to share my experience with others.

Ashish Gupta888

Retired Ambassador
Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
After several hours of waiting, it finally got the latest update! Not sure how though...Here's what happened:

Windows Update was stuck for over an hour at the 'Preparing for installation 32%" step. I closed every other program and waited for about an extra hour and it finally started working (I wasn't using my laptop at all for an hour + it was charging). I restarted my laptop, but the update failed (I did not even see the black screen with the circle).

I opened Windows Update, clicked "Check for Updates" and I was asked to restart my laptop (again). I restarted it and after a couple of hours everything seems to be ok.

I'm not sure if this helps in any way, but I wanted to share my experience with others.
Yeah..it finally worked for me too..just waited patiently and progress bar moved from 32%.

Ashish Gupta888

Retired Ambassador
Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Yup..these new features are awesome..specially messaging sync, ability to install apps in drive other than C and cortana for India...love it..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
otispit