Windows 10 Mobile Lumia 950

anon(8567512)

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I don't know if this or the 950 thread is better for this thread, but since I am commenting on windows 10 mobile, this is where i am starting.

I received my 950 today and thought I would share some observations/issues about windows 10 mobile as this is supposed to be an official release coming on the phone, but also in hopes to get some feedback.

The phone is pretty awesome. I am happy with it and am excited to use it. I haven't used w10m in several months so haven't seen what improvements or changes they made since then. So far my groove music app has held my recently played music where earlier versions were dropping it and I would have to open the app and start an album back from the beginning if I had music paused for more than 10 minutes. Tonight it picked up where it left off after a few hours. So that is good and I hope it is a sign that this issue is fixed.

Linked inbox/multiple accounts seems to still be an issue for me. I have my phone registered to outlook email and then I added a second yahoo email. I pinned the yahoo as its own tile, but if I open it, it switches the outlook tile also to yahoo account when I open it. I can get around this by pinning the outlook account as a second tile from within the original mail app. But that is cumbersome and not intuitive. I don't see a way to have both emails without them being linked. It isn't a huge deal, but just sharing what I am noticing.

When I used an insider build over the summer, there was an issue where you could set individual text tones for people, but if you changed the default text tone for the entire messaging app, it would override the individual tones. That still persists in this version. I have the option of having most texts just make a ding sound, but some contacts get their own tone, or, I can change the default tone and it will override everything. I have to say, I am hoping this is a bug I am having and not the way it is intended to work, because it is a step back.

Finally (for now, as I have only had a few hours to mess with the phone), it would appear that the "me" hub is gone in windows 10, or else I can't find it. I liked having "me" pinned to my desktop for looking at facebook/twitter feeds. I can't find it on w10m. It isn't a huge deal as, to be honest, I didn't use it as often as I just opened facebook and twitter. But it was a feature I liked and missed.

Those are the negatives I have come across. I am not seeking to whine or say not to use w10m or the 950. I am just giving my observations on issues with the first phone to be released with it. Despite those few issues that I have come across, so far I really like it. I liked even the early insider versions of the OS. I had a missed call a little while ago and got a notification on my computer that I missed the call from my phone. That is pretty slick. I feel like w10m is an upgrade over 8.1, and so far this build has been pretty stable on this device.

If any of the three minor issues I mentioned is something someone knows a fix for, I am happy to hear it. Overall, I am very satisfied with my purchase and the OS and am glad that I didn't wait (which was aided by the fact that I had a Lumia 735 which I absolutely despised) to get this phone. Happy to answer any questions anyone might have as well.

London Jr

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Have you had any problems with the messaging app on the 950, and what other bugs have you noticed? I feel like W10 mobile is very incomplete on the app and oS side, but i have no clue what the experience is on that device.

LA6507a

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
I have been using my 950 for 1 day and most things are working great. The only bugs I have seen so far is that many of my 125 apps that were restored from my latest backup have a grayed out copy of the app (next to it) in the app list with the word "Pending" below it. A reboot did not fix this. Next, the Linked Inbox does not work on my 950 - in fact, there isn't even an option for it. Oddly enough, it works on my Lumia 1020 but is buggy in implementation (build 10581). Next, while in Settings, I was browsing through menus and ran across a page where the bottom three buttons disappeared so I had to activate the camera in order to leave that page. When I tried to screen capture this so I could report it, the screen capture didn't work and I can't remember which menu I was in. Also, while in Settings, under background apps, some apps are listed more than once in the list - I don't know why that would be the case.

Bicpug

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Can anyone with this phone test it with Unity3D if they have it and tell me if shadows work. Shadows never functioned on older Windows Phones and was a serious graphical shortcoming when using the game engine.

anon(8567512)

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
After having the phone for about 20 hours, I can say that there is only one bug that I have run into. Semi-regularly when I open the messaging app it goes right back to the start screen and I have to open it again. It is very fast so it isn't a huge hindrance as if it is loading for a while then fails. But it is annoying to have to tap twice before it works properly. I would say that has happened maybe 20% of the time or so. Other than the messenger app closing here and there on launch, and the issue with default notifications (discussed below and in the original post), I really like the app. It is easy to use, and on this display looks fantastic.

The Iris Scanner is super awesome, but, to be honest, is more of a gimmick than a necessity from my own perspective. It is usually faster to type my pin than use the scanner. But it is pretty cool so I use it anyway.

I still haven't figured out where or if there is a "me" hub like in 8.1 so I am leaning towards it not being there. I have left a spot on the home screen just in case, but I think it just isn't going to be there. I am very disappointed that they still haven't ironed out the custom notifications for w10m and was hoping that this official build would have that squared away. I was hoping others would tell me they don't have the issue and then I could try to fix mine. It isn't a deal breaker, but every phone since the first droid (my first smartphone) has had custom text notifications. There is no reason that this futuristic and forward thinking OS shouldn't have it working properly especially after all this time and all the complaints about it.

Going back to my first post and commenting on groove music, even after restarting my phone last night, it still lists what I listened to yesterday under recent plays. That is a major improvement over how it was working on the insider build I used over the summer. I know people have mixed feelings about groove music (I am one of those multiple zune owners), but I really like it and feel like they have gotten it right so far on this release. When I first activated the phone and opened groove it set to work adding my onedrive music collection. It added 4086 songs (counting to the number) which is how many it should have had. This is a big improvement from my earlier experiences where I would search through and find that it didn't add my full library, particularly when onedrive music streaming was brand new. I then added my microSD with the actual music files. It took maybe two hours (hard to say as I was at a meeting while it was working) but definitely by the end of two hours it listed all my music as being on the device as opposed to being streamed from the cloud. As for music I listen to mainly hard rock, folk rock, and broadway musical type stuff. I listen through headphones attached to my car speaker so can't speak for how the speaker on the phone is, but through the line out to my car it sounds pretty much exactly like my Icon and 735 did.

I haven't played any games or done anything with unity3d so I can't speak to that. I decided long ago to not put games on my phone or I would never be able to get any work done. I also bought a work computer that couldn't run most games so that I wouldn't be distracted by the possibility.

One other little thing that I wouldn't call a bug, but that is at least a quirk, is an issue with pinning contacts to start. When I pin a contact, if I change their photo (for example switch from their facebook to their twitter photo), I have to unpin and re-pin the contact for the change to take affect. I don't know if that is how it works for everyone, or just a quirk on mine, but 8.1 didn't do that. It isn't major as it only takes a second to pin something, but it is there as an issue.

anon(8567512)

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
As the day has progressed so has the failure rate of the messaging app. It is now functioning at the point where it crashes almost every "first" time I open it, forcing me to reopen a second time to get it to work. My battery is close to dead, so when I get home I will recharge and reset phone and see if there is any improvement, then post an update.

Manmikey

Jun 22, 2015
Visit site
Thanks kanyon40 for posting your real world experiences of the 950, I'm on the fence at the moment a out getting a 950, I have a 640 at present to test out windows phone, I recently updated it to W10M and have since gone back to 8.1 one of the reasons being I couldn't set WhatsApp to the glance notification screen it just shows a red cross when I try to assign it to one of the five spaces, glance is one of the best features of windows (phone in my opinion)

Could you possible check if you can assign WhatsApp to one of the glance spaces please, it would be a great help

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

RockettComp

Sep 11, 2014
Visit site
I got my Lumia 950 first thing Friday morning, so far the experience has been mixed. I've been using Windows phone continuously since Windows Phone 7 and the HD7.

Performance wise I have experienced a number of sluggish transitions and lots of app delays. For example there is quite a pause in Facebook Messenger when selecting the photo option to send an image. Jetpack Joyride is virtually unusable. I've got two updates that will not install. "Advanced info" and "Lumia Help+Tips", both have error 0x803F8006". The INSTEON for Hub app does not work at all, it loads, and then immediately closes.

I am on my third spontaneous reboot. I didn't restore from a backup, this is a fresh setup. Only installed the following 3rd party apps... 6tin, Adobe Reader, Amazon App, Battle.net Authenticator, Engadget, Evernote, Flashlight XT, Flickster, Freda, iHeartRadio, Instagram BETA, INSTEON for Hub, Jetpack Joyride, Messenger, Microsoft Bingo, Microsoft Health, Microsoft Mahjong, Microsoft Solitaire Collection, Netflix, Plants vs. Zombies, Translator, Windows Central, Wordament.

Tomorrow I will probably do a hard reset and see if things improve, so far its been pretty rough!

I love the phone, just doesn't quite feel like it was ready for primetime.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes