Windows Hello Tips!

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: I just figured out how to unlock with Windows Hello in 1 second.

Hello,

Sorry, it may be a grammar thing, but I don't understand your last bullet item:

• Then STOP keeping re-doing calibration with "Improve Windows Hello" again and again, maybe 15 times. The more you re-calibrate, the slower it will get.

What do you mean?

What he means is that you should just follow his steps setting Windows Hello up and improving it and not try and improve it any further.

Paolo Cardelli

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site

Correct (sorry for my grammar, I'm Italian :wink:).

Just calibrate Windows Hello 4 times only like I suggested (in those different environments lighting), and don't do it again. You don't need to, and the more you continue to calibrate after that, the slower it gets to recognize you.

DigitalZ

Nov 26, 2007
Visit site

I'll add to this a trick that has helped me a lot. As soon as you see that it's looking for you, open your eyes wide which exposes your iris's more. I get near 100% successful recognition when doing this.

Paolo Cardelli

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site

I'll add to this a trick that has helped me a lot. As soon as you see that it's looking for you, open your eyes wide which exposes your iris's more. I get near 100% successful recognition when doing this.
Yes, that helps too, but is not so necessary (and it could make you look a bit psychopath in public :evil: )

pdch

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
How I got Windows Hello to work 100% of the time

I will be the first to admit that I was a little disappointed when I tried to use Window Hello on my new 950xl. It seemed that it would only work maybe one out of ten tries, so I would mostly just use the pin. I was bored one day, so decided to try to improve recognition and give it another try - and then I discovered what is literally directing people to go wrong - "Move Closer"

I noticed that when I had both of my eyes in the little window when trying to improve recognition, I would be prompted to move closer until only one eye was visible, then it would tell me it couldn't see me anymore. I also noticed that when it prompted me to move closer, but I ignored it, the progress bar would continue to progress without any problem.

So I decided to just pick a comfortable spot for myself, where I would normally want to hold the phone to unlock it. Absolutely ignoring EVERY "move closer" prompt - I re-ran the recognition procedure, and then did "improve recognition" four more times from about the same distance.

And now the biggest key, I now hold my phone at as close to the same distance as when I ran recognition procedure and when it says "move closer" I actually just open my eyes just a little wider. BAM! It now unlocks EVERY time!

Hope this helps others!

Paolo Cardelli

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Re: How I got Windows Hello to work 100% of the time

I will be the first to admit that I was a little disappointed when I tried to use Window Hello on my new 950xl. It seemed that it would only work maybe one out of ten tries, so I would mostly just use the pin. I was bored one day, so decided to try to improve recognition and give it another try - and then I discovered what is literally directing people to go wrong - "Move Closer"

I noticed that when I had both of my eyes in the little window when trying to improve recognition, I would be prompted to move closer until only one eye was visible, then it would tell me it couldn't see me anymore. I also noticed that when it prompted me to move closer, but I ignored it, the progress bar would continue to progress without any problem.

So I decided to just pick a comfortable spot for myself, where I would normally want to hold the phone to unlock it. Absolutely ignoring EVERY "move closer" prompt - I re-ran the recognition procedure, and then did "improve recognition" four more times from about the same distance.

And now the biggest key, I now hold my phone at as close to the same distance as when I ran recognition procedure and when it says "move closer" I actually just open my eyes just a little wider. BAM! It now unlocks EVERY time!

Hope this helps others!

Agreed.
There's no need to Calibrate too much close to display.
Just start Windows Hello calibration on regular/normal distance from screen, with both eyes centered on screen, looking slightly lower at Microsoft logo, and without moving or closing your eyes.
Repeat the same way other 3 times on different conditions (completely dark room, dimmer lights room and outside in the morning or afternoon with natural light -not in direct sunlight) and you're good to go forever, no need to never calibrate again.

1 second (2 seconds Max) unlock, and 99,9% success rate :wink:

douggrif

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
Re: Windows Hello Tip [Lumia Phones]...

I have discovered that if I hold my 950XL slightly above eye level tilting it down slightly towards my eyes and look at the "Microsoft" logo at the top of the phone (not at "looking for you" line) it unlocks very quickly, within one second.

I took the time to train the "Hello" screen located under "settings", personalization, "lock screen", "sign-in options" (at the very bottom of that screen), the "Improve Recognition". I wear glasses and I trained it for glasses and for without. It works the same for day or night. I am now happy with the results.

I also own a Surface Book and the Hello screen works incredibly fast. I just have to approach the notebook and it recognizes me. Perhaps someday the 950XL will work even better.

barareklam

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site

OK, I am not having big problems with windows Hello. It asks me to move closer sometimes. I have now done as you guys suggested and re-run iris recognition. I am asked to move closer while doing recognition, and if I ignore it, it does not continue. Anyhow now I have done it and we shall see if that helps.
But there is one Another thing. Sometimes Windows Hello tries to recognize me and fail and ask to unlock by PIN. But I can just swipe up and it is unlocked, so it is just bypassed, no security at all, IRIS failed, and it asked about pin but swipe up unlocks it anyway. Strange. Anyone with similar problems ?

Marc Cupido 44

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site

Whenever I unlock my 950xl it gives the "couldn't recognize you message" immediately. How can I stop this from happening?

May 3, 2015
Visit site

OK, I am not having big problems with windows Hello. It asks me to move closer sometimes. I have now done as you guys suggested and re-run iris recognition. I am asked to move closer while doing recognition, and if I ignore it, it does not continue. Anyhow now I have done it and we shall see if that helps.
But there is one Another thing. Sometimes Windows Hello tries to recognize me and fail and ask to unlock by PIN. But I can just swipe up and it is unlocked, so it is just bypassed, no security at all, IRIS failed, and it asked about pin but swipe up unlocks it anyway. Strange. Anyone with similar problems ?

How about your setting in require sign-in?
Always? 15 minutes? Or others?
If you set to always, then of your iris scanning isn't recognized you, you can't just swipe up the screen (you must input your pin)

earl_z

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

Does anyone have any suggestions for the wireless charging bug? Windows Hello tries to wake up and scan randomly when sitting on my wireless Qi charger. I saw another person post about this.

Nelle Douville

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site

For anyone new to Windows Hello on a 950... I struggled initially, and even brought the first device back. I've since learned that the best approach is to ignore it's instructions to move closer. Hold it steady about a foot away and keep it there. It now unlocks every time.

Ariel Takom

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site

No, this is not a click bait.

Yesterday I figured out how to unlock my 950 XL with Windows Hello iris recognition in 1 second (2 seconds Max), with 99% success rate.

That's how I did it, and some tricks to fine tune and optimize Windows Hello easily:

• Remove your Windows Hello configuration, Disable it. (this will erase all your previous calibrations, and it's a GOOD thing if you did it wrong in the first place)
  • First calibrate Windows Hello inside a room, and not outside in bright sunlight. Don't wear glasses, and do not keep your phone too close. Just put in front of you like you would use it normally, and make sure your eyes are centered, and you're looking the upper side of phone like you would normally look for "Windows Hello is searching you" text on Lockscreen. Do NOT look straight to red light;
  • Do the same thing above in: 1) Another room with different lighting (dimmer artificial lights), 2) In a completely dark room , 3) Outside with natural sunlight (but not under the direct sunlight on the phone);
  • Then STOP keeping re-doing calibration with "Improve Windows Hello" again and again, maybe 15 times. The more you re-calibrate, the slower it will get.

That's it.
Now Windows Hello will recognize you 99% of the time, and will unlock almost instantly (1 to 2 seconds), and really makes Fingerprint scanner an old tech.

Try it yourselves, and let me know! :wink:

Cheers
-P

I actually felt that after calibrating Windows Hello for like 20 times, it became slower and slower. Guess my intuition wasn't wrong then! :D

Ping Timeout

Jul 22, 2016
Visit site

Disabled it at once when discovered that i almost have to touch screen with my nose to be recognized. Only retinal onedrive unlock i left for 'innovation'. It's too retarded close to operate frequent unlock normally.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa