How to delete photos from the photos app but leave on onedrive help?

planty

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone worked out how to successfully delete photos in a granular way?

I've got my phone set to backup photos to onedrive
The photos app nicely shows my phone pics and onedrive pics together

BUT how do I delete a photo from just the phone storage but leave it on onedrive (without connecting to a PC and deleting using the PCs windows explorer)? If I select delete I get the message "this will delete from the phone and onedrive", but I want to leave it in onedrive just delete from my phone storage. There doesn't seem to be an easy way. Or is there??

Seems the UI needs a bit of a polish, a simple addition of options for "delete from phone" and "delete from phone and onedrive" would do!

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
You need to delete from the folder only so go Folders, choose folder then delete and it should delete from the folder only and not OneDrive (Just tested it and it works for me on my 1520)

Biotic Blue

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Apologies for getting back to an old thread, but since there are details up all ready didn't wish to start a new thread.

Anyway with regards to the above I am still struggling to work out how to go about this. After deleting a photo I no longer wanted on my phone but wanted to keep in Onedrive and seeing the message that it will also delete on onedrive I decided to keep it, but look at other means. I have searched a little on the matter and there are a few posts here, but I am still at a bit of a loss as to how it all works and a work around of keeping your phone clear but your pictures stored online.
So deleting the picture on my phone in either the “Collection” folder or the “Camera Roll” in Albums deletes it from OneDrive. So following advice I went to File Explorer and deleted the picture there and can confirm that it has been deleted. I go to OneDrive and it is still stored online ‘hurrah’ but then I go to my photos on the phone and in both collections and in camera roll the picture is still there due it being in OneDrive.
Previously in WP8 it was easy to delete on the phone and have access online, but it seems no longer, am I missing a setting or a work around on this because I really don’t need to have some pictures accessible on my phone, but want to have them stored just in case and the system seems to be unable to permit this.
Any ideas? Oh am using L640 with official W10 latest

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Apologies for getting back to an old thread, but since there are details up all ready didn't wish to start a new thread.

Anyway with regards to the above I am still struggling to work out how to go about this. After deleting a photo I no longer wanted on my phone but wanted to keep in Onedrive and seeing the message that it will also delete on onedrive I decided to keep it, but look at other means. I have searched a little on the matter and there are a few posts here, but I am still at a bit of a loss as to how it all works and a work around of keeping your phone clear but your pictures stored online.
So deleting the picture on my phone in either the “Collection” folder or the “Camera Roll” in Albums deletes it from OneDrive. So following advice I went to File Explorer and deleted the picture there and can confirm that it has been deleted. I go to OneDrive and it is still stored online ‘hurrah’ but then I go to my photos on the phone and in both collections and in camera roll the picture is still there due it being in OneDrive.
Previously in WP8 it was easy to delete on the phone and have access online, but it seems no longer, am I missing a setting or a work around on this because I really don’t need to have some pictures accessible on my phone, but want to have them stored just in case and the system seems to be unable to permit this.
Any ideas? Oh am using L640 with official W10 latest

By chanche, you left enable "Show pics stored only in OndeDrive" enabled in Photos app? Disable it, it drains data. So your phone will show only its stored pics

I do that every month, I remove pics and left that online , protected

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
This is how is works. You take a photo, it's automatically uploaded to OneDrive. But your Photos app is configured so that it shows pictures from both OneDrive and your phone, however if there are duplicates it will only show one. One way to fix this is to go to settings and make sure the Photos app doesn't show pictures from OneDrive. That way you will still keep uploading to OneDrive, but only the photos from your phone will be shown in the Photos app. Another way is to keep showing pictures from both OneDrive and the phone, but delete your pictures in the File Manager app (on your phone), or by swiping to Folders in the Pictures app, and then finding the picture there and deleting it only from your phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnwilliam9750