Are you satisfied with Windows 10's app growth?

Zhenren Zhou

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
I am going to write a lot because I want to discuss the true problem with this platform in details.

With recently released or announced app like World of Tanks Blitz, FUNimationNow. I am somewhat satisfied with the App growth. I also come to understand the Windows app gap better, it doesn't lack big name apps, it needs apps from companies that are famous not in general, but in the particular area. For example, if you know FUNimation, you probably know Facebook as well, but if you know Facebook, but you don't watch anime, you don't probably know what FUNimation is.

In the meantime, apps built specifically with UWP guideline are gorgeous! I don't even remember the last time I visited Twitter's webpage after I installed Tweetium on my Surface and Aeries 2 on my 950. Talk about the unique feelings this two apps brought. I also interchangeably use myTube! and YouTube webpage, I am absolutely fond of the responsiveness and simplicity of the app, Google's Android YouTube app can't never compete with it. But the problem I have with myTube! is the distortions come with playing 1080P 60FPS videos on my 950.

As for apps already available to the platform, WeChat is what I use regularly to communicate with families and friends (if they are not in the US or they don't prefer text messages). However, current version of WeChat for WP is built for WP8.1, the OS seems to have to do some conversion similar to Android's Java bytecode to Binary code conversion, it's very laggy and takes a long time to load. Same problem is also with FB's messenger. These two apps are among the ugliest on my 950. Messenger is for sure going to get an Windows 10 update very soon. But WeChat's future is gloomy. One more thing, Windows Central needs to release your Windows 10 app now!!

I also feel kind of left out by Microsoft, the Outlook client on Android renders emails in a way that's so much prettier. What is it that keeps Microsoft from doing the same on Windows 10 Mobile while Groove music is so fantastic? Same goes for some other Microsoft's own apps.

I have multiple times thought about jumping ship to iPhone. But what's keeping me from doing that is my devotion to the platform, as well as Windows is the only platform other than iOS to deliver a premium and responsive user experience, I will never pick up an Android phone again unless Google stops being stubborn and restructures the entire Android OS.

I just saw today a family that I know who is heavily Apple centric enjoying the recently released Candy Crush Saga on their Windows 10 laptop. This gives me more hopes to the platform and a proof that Microsoft's gamble on UWP is a success.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nikolai Kuzbanovsky

Jul 21, 2015
Visit site
Re: Are you stisfied with Windows 10's app growth?

Totally agree with you friend. I would like to add one more thing. On the major apps, like facebook youtube etc there is no app gap. Equal solutions have been found, and they work well.
The problem is on medium apps, specific apps, regional apps and all those that have a very specific audience. There is the real and huge app gap. I am from Greece, and all banks, shops, transportation means etc have an app to help you use their services. None of them takes the time to release the app on wp, unfortunately...

lankylars

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site

I agree that the Universal Windows Platform is showing some promise. Apps built for this deliver a solid, consistent experience across phone/computer/tablet. Hopefully more developers create UWP apps or adapt existing programs to UWP. I am also holding out hope that Islandwood (project to make iOS apps more easily portable) turns out as originally pitched. That could be a game changer.

Tien-Lin Chang

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site

Totally agree with you friend. I would like to add one more thing. On the major apps, like facebook youtube etc there is no app gap. Equal solutions have been found, and they work well.
The problem is on medium apps, specific apps, regional apps and all those that have a very specific audience. There is the real and huge app gap. I am from Greece, and all banks, shops, transportation means etc have an app to help you use their services. None of them takes the time to release the app on wp, unfortunately...
I'm sure that FB app are still having UX gap there
def.png

In FB groups the W10M FB app not only missing the pin post and sale post collection, they also failed to show the content of single sale post....

Also recently I found one of my most useful tile-applied app (PM2.5 china for air quality check, it's a WP8 app I think) is half dead. Half tile I pinned couldn't lead me into the app while the other half works, yet the app itself failed to reload the new data nor could I pin any new tile on mainscreen....It makes me wonder with the core change in WP8, how come w10m shows this kind of inconsistent app compatibility? You don't see much problem when you install some Win XP/7/8 applications onto Win10 computer right? And win10m supposed to have both UWP and the old app API supported isn't it?

Zhenren Zhou

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site

That's because X86/X64 chips are way more powerful than ARM based chips. There's some kind of conversion needs to be done first before the app can be executed. This is essentially why Android is so laggy. The problem with W10M FB app is that it is still made by Microsoft using public APIs. Which means Microsoft won't have the flexibility FB would have in developing the app. I just hope FB would soon release their own FB app for Windows 10.

theboyknowsclass

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
I find my issue is that being something of a gadget head (many of which require apps), WP is left totally in the cold for quite some time.

I moved to Fitbit, because Wiithings had no support, but apart from that many devices (wifi cameras etc. phillips hue) all launch with iOS support, then (eventually) add Android... hardly any bother adding WP.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes