Why wait for WM10 on older phones?

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Because everyone here is talking about the windows 10 update for older devices. Microsoft Lumia page in Romania is listing the update to be available somewhere in the middle of this year! Middle??? I really do not know what to think...either the page is poorly translated, the information is old or this is indeed the plan. In this case, the February timeline fails...
I have owned a 950 for a bout a month and a half, and while enjoying the phone itself as it was very nice, slim, not heavy, the several issues made me sell it:
Poor wifi performance
Placing an SDCard in it made my phone run slow. It did not reboot or crash, but was working much slower in every task although the Sdcard was very fast one.
Camera post processing was a mess with indoor photos taken on auto. Pictures were coming out darkened, too much contrast applied, weird anyway...
Outlook Email app while a very nice app, it renders the emails using Word instead of HTML and so 90% of my emails were being displayed totally wrong
Quiet Hours Automatic Rules didn't work.
DataSense was working partially
Block and Filter often do not filter at all.
Apps are still under developed, many of them.
Movies and video clips with dark scenes have strange artefacts when viewed in a low lit room.
Windows 10 mobile overall seems rushed, like an Os made just to exist and nothing more.
I often said that the 950 launched with 8.1 would have been a much better choice. A nice phone dragged down by a buggy, messed up OS

Last edited:

Tien-Lin Chang

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
See the screenshot below that I have taken from one of the thread in this forum.
View attachment 121265

This is exactly what I was talking about. No matter what, the older phones will have issue with an OS version they were not designed to run and people will complain. It is better for people to complain that "the OS is not available for my phone" than for them to complain "The OS is buggy on my phone"
Really? Then try google "Lumia 950 battery drain" and see those results, by your logic is it safe to say that Lumia 950/XL have issue with an OS version they were not designed to run and people will complain?
wp_ss_20160126_0001.png
This is my battery log since 10536 to 10586.63 on a ATIV S faking Lumia 920 insider fast ring - a prefect example that even faking the device which the OS is not design to run. However I got great battery life - just a little bit short than WP8.1 and easily lasting two days under light usage.

If you just look at those malfunction cases (ignore those doing well ones) and trying to apply it as general rule, then I think MSFT should stop pushing any new product.

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Really? Then try google "Lumia 950 battery drain" and see those results, by your logic is it safe to say that Lumia 950/XL have issue with an OS version they were not designed to run and people will complain?
View attachment 121299
This is my battery log since 10536 to 10586.63 on a ATIV S faking Lumia 920 insider fast ring - a prefect example that even faking the device which the OS is not design to run. However I got great battery life - just a little bit short than WP8.1 and easily lasting two days under light usage.

If you just look at those malfunction cases (ignore those doing well ones) and trying to apply it as general rule, then I think MSFT should stop pushing any new product.

Your ATIV S might be the lucky one out of the millions that are complaining. Just search in this forum itself and I think you will find 100's or 1000's of posts.

Also, if you need some statistics, there is at least (very conservatively) 2 or 3 posts opened on this forum by users, complaining about windows mobile 10 or about devices running windows mobile 10. In fact, if you see most of the threads, users have already converted windows related threads to android/iOS review threads by posting about android or iOS.

These are all evidence that older phones do not need the upgrade.

Yes, L950 had its set of issues but was improved with the latest firmware upgrade. MS has not stated about any firmware upgrades for older devices and I don't think they will receive any firmware upgrades.

Schnuffi

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
Well, Cricket is AT&T. AT&T owns them, and makes all the decisions with regards to what Cricket carries. It is kinda cool walking in their stores and at least seeing WP stuff. I put three family members (non-techies) on 635s there, and all are happy.

I, however, am not happy. I bought a 640 on the day that Cricket released it (last April). Nice phone, pretty blue shell. An interesting piece of promotional material next to the display from Microsoft. Cool! Says my 640 gets a free upgrade to Windows 10, when available*. I look at the asterisk and it says *late summer 2015 release. I'm a happy camper.

9 1/2 months later, no signs of W10M in sight. When Microsoft announced in December that it would not come until 2016 first qtr, I bailed and went to Android. That phone spent the equivalent of half it's life waiting for an upgrade that didn't come.

THIS IS WHY W10M HAS TO BE RELEASED TO OLDER PHONES THAT HAVE THE HARDWARE TO HANDLE IT. Those of us that post here are the tiny, tiny minority. The bulk of WP users will say..."where is my shiny new operating system I was promised? NEVER AGAIN!" Microsoft will never, ever have a chance to sell those people another phone. They spent a lot of time pushing the low end stuff out the last two years, they cannot abandon those users they just recently brought into the fold.

It's all a shame, cause WP had unlimited potential, and Microsoft continues to smack itself in the forehead and fritter it all away.

Well with windows phone you will eventually get the upgrade if you had bought an android phone you would be left out in the cold. In fact Samsung is now being sued for not upgrading older phones.
Samsung sued for not updating Android on older smartphones

Tien-Lin Chang

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
Yeah my phone is the lucky one out of the millions.
http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-10-mobile/408849-why-run-backgroundapps-like-phone.html
So I guess this dude is the unlucky one out of the millions that he needs to stop Facebook or Whatsapp from connect automatically to prevent battery drain? ILMAO

Start from old phones are too old to be covered in maintenance period (which is not true even in your original comparison with iOS), old phones are not powerful enough to rock a new OS (which again is not true), now we are down to firmware. How many times are you gonna to shift your attacking points towards to old devices? What you gonna say if MS start to provide new firmware? " MS has not stated about any firmware upgrades for older devices" might sound powerful but don't forget they also openly stated all WP8 devices can be upgraded to W10M. They are the first party so they have everything and every right to make it happen and make good on their promise.

To me, if W10M insider can be easily installed through OTA (just like upgrade android version) then the difference between WP8/W10M is smaller then some might think. The basic (bootloader/DFU mode) are not change so it just like installing new version of windows (or OSX hackintosh) over old windows on an old x86 computer. There are things need to be optimized but again they are first party, if 3rd party team can make wm6.5/android/wp7 /Meego/UBUNTU sing on HTC HD2 then they should get their driver work done and pack it well to a new firmware. To my understanding the problem MSFT/BBRY facing are the same - QCom asking high price for new driver of old S4 SoC but that's their problem to solve when you make a promise to the public.

It's kind of sad to make excuses for the slowness of MSFT at the cost of their own reputation. This need to be stopped.

Last edited:

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Yeah my phone is the lucky one out of the millions.
http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-10-mobile/408849-why-run-backgroundapps-like-phone.html
So I guess this dude is the unlucky one out of the millions that he needs to stop Facebook or Whatsapp from connect automatically to prevent battery drain? ILMAO

Start from old phones are too old to be covered in maintenance period (which is not true even in your original comparison with iOS), old phones are not powerful enough to rock a new OS (which again is not true), now we are down to firmware. How many times are you gonna to shift your attacking points towards to old devices? What you gonna say if MS start to provide new firmware? " MS has not stated about any firmware upgrades for older devices" might sound powerful but don't forget they also openly stated all WP8 devices can be upgraded to W10M. They are the first party so they have everything and every right to make it happen and make good on their promise.

To me, if W10M insider can be easily installed through OTA (just like upgrade android version) then the difference between WP8/W10M is smaller then some might think. The basic (bootloader/DFU mode) are not change so it just like installing new version of windows (or OSX hackintosh) over old windows on an old x86 computer. There are things need to be optimized but again they are first party, if 3rd party team can make wm6.5/android/wp7 /Meego/UBUNTU sing on HTC HD2 then they should get their driver work down and pack it well to a new firmware. To my understanding the problem MSFT/BBRY are the same - QCom asking high price for new driver of old S4 SoC but that's their problem to solve when you make a promise to the public.

It's kind of sad to make excuses for the slowness of MSFT at the cost of their own reputation. This need to be stopped.

I have read the thread that you posted about "background apps". The person is only posting his view about the battery saver app. You might want to read the thread again to understand what the person is explaining.

Hmmm....I am not speaking for Microsoft. I am basically speaking about my views and thoughts (about older phones) based on intensive amounts of reading I have done one the internet and forums (from real users who have posted about issues on their phones).

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
^What exactly do you consider inconsistent?

Might be just me, but it seems performance, power usage, reliability is all over the map. We have some claiming its perfect or only a little-bit-buggy and then we have reviews like Pocketnow and stuff where 4K refuses to work on the 950 or etc.

I don't know about others, but with installs on an 830, 920, 521, 820 and however many hard resets it never seems to work 100% or even 90%. (whether lockscreen performance, trying to open my app library in the Store, open the mail app...)
Which might be acceptable if its a beta, but iOS Public Betas are in so much better shape and I can't say for the more rapid-fire nightlies done by some Android ROMs.

AndMadsen

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
I really don't think Microsoft should be stooping to the already poor levels of Samsung and other Android OEMs update-wise.
They already have.
WP 8.1 Update 2 was only released to very few Lumia models.
Which means that most Lumias are stuck on a version released back in 2014, namely GDR1 + Lumia Denim.

Remember when we were all getting excited about Lumia Emerald?

I don't mind that it's taking Microsoft a long time getting W10M ready for regular users. It would, however, have been nice if they would have spent some resources updating WP 8.1 Lumias beyond Denim.

Even Nokia understood this.
The last Symbian update was released in October 2012 (Nokia Belle Feature Pack 2). Almost a whole year after they launched their first Lumia, the 800.

Personally, I would have loved the Lumia 950 had it shipped with 8.1 + whatever was supposed to follow Lumia Emerald.
I bought the 950 but returned it the very same day. W10M is too unstable compared to 8.1.

I have owned: Nokia 3510i, Nokia 6230i, Nokia 5800, Nokia N8, Nokia N9, Nokia Lumia 920, Nokia Lumia 1020 and Nokia Lumia 930.
But this year will be the year I buy something different.
I am done with Windows Mobile/Phone.

Last edited:

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Everything mentioned so far, and the UI. The only thing consistent about the UI is its inconsistencies.
Well alrighty then. Didn't want to leave anything out, huh? I've only put W10 on one Microsoft device (640XL) and one Lumia (1520). The 1520 was one of the early builds and it was littered with bugs but I knew there was hope because the phantom touches went away. The 640XL is a nice device but 1GB is really not enough RAM. That being said, I've put it on two Samsung ATIV SEs and I'm on my third M8 and performance-wise they're better than any WP device I've had. As for the UI, I do miss the sliding panels of WP7 as it reminds me of the Enyo design language from webOS. Microsoft hasn't made up its mind where to put the menu hamburger, taco or whatever the hipsters call it. I'd say, in my OPINION, that's the only real inconsistency I've noticed. Not to start a flame war, but the non-Lumias have proven very good for me.

Rugish Dapeca

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
WP 8.1 Update 2 was only released to very few Lumia models.
Which means that most Lumias are stuck on a version released back in 2014, namely GDR1 + Lumia Denim.
My wife's 520 is stuck on Cyan as our carrier never approved the Denim update for OTA distribution on their network. Sure, I can jump her phone onto the Insider program and grab the Denim update, but she's not interested in it. For her, 8.1 Cyan works perfectly for what she needs.

anon(185988)

Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
My Lumia 925 runs pretty smooth under W10. The only really annoying problem with it is that if I hard reset it, it won't detect T-mobiles data at all. Definitely looking to put it into rotation with my Nexus 6p, and Iphone 5 once a "stable" update is released though. Well, that, Retroarch, and a decent Pulse News clone!

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Well alrighty then. Didn't want to leave anything out, huh? I've only put W10 on one Microsoft device (640XL) and one Lumia (1520). The 1520 was one of the early builds and it was littered with bugs but I knew there was hope because the phantom touches went away. The 640XL is a nice device but 1GB is really not enough RAM. That being said, I've put it on two Samsung ATIV SEs and I'm on my third M8 and performance-wise they're better than any WP device I've had. As for the UI, I do miss the sliding panels of WP7 as it reminds me of the Enyo design language from webOS. Microsoft hasn't made up its mind where to put the menu hamburger, taco or whatever the hipsters call it. I'd say, in my OPINION, that's the only real inconsistency I've noticed. Not to start a flame war, but the non-Lumias have proven very good for me.
I have no trouble believing that your devices are without issues. I've seen many say that. My devices started out okay. This last month however, I've had more app crashes on my L830 than I've seen since I started using WP in early 2011. That doesn't bother me that much. That will get better. There are other issues where I'm less optimistic though, like UI inconsistencies. I see a lot more issues there than just hamburger button placement, which I don't even care that much about. I admit to having an abstract sort of OCD when it comes to UI consistency. I'll spare you my long list of gripes in this thread though 😉

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
My Lumia 925 runs pretty smooth under W10. The only really annoying problem with it is that if I hard reset it, it won't detect T-mobiles data at all. Definitely looking to put it into rotation with my Nexus 6p, and Iphone 5 once a "stable" update is released though. Well, that, Retroarch, and a decent Pulse News clone!

I don't believe it runs better than 8.1 ran on it. I've seen win10 running on 920,1020 and 735 and is far from smooth compared to 8.1.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
I also don't believe that it runs badly for you on the 920 and 1020, because it runs perfectly for me on bot the models.

Now depends on what you consider to be running perfectly. Every person has different expectations. For me at least, windows 10 runs ok on a 950, just ok, not perfect, and pretty bad on older devices in the dual core segment.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Going by the title of the thread, we wait for w10m because we don't have new w10m devices to use.

A recent report said majority of windows phone users use the famous 520 and haven't moved to a new device. Reasons: no need to upgrade device as current is working okay (don't replace unless broken or stolen), no money, loyal to current device etc

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon