Get placeholder icons back in OneDrive?

Vardman

Oct 19, 2015
Visit site
One of the things I loved most about windows 8... in fact, looking back, I guess it's probably the only thing... OFFLINE PLACEHOLDER ICONS in OneDrive.

I was really disappointed to see them left out of Windows 10. I assumed they would be added in a future update, but that doesn't seem to have happened as of yet, and as far as I can see there doesn't seem to be any plan in place to add them any time soon.

Is there any alternative/workaround? It's tedious trying to remember what I have uploaded/not uploaded and it would be ideal to be able to see my files without having to use a browser or download my entire OneDrive storage to my local drive - that really defeats the purpose of having cloud storage in the first place for me. I used to love OneDrive, but I feel the service has made substantial backtracks as of late, between this and the reduction of bonus storage.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I do hope they come back soon, I am aware the plan is to do so, yes I can work with OneDrive as it is, with full sync on my desktop and rather limited sync on my Surface Pro 3 and Stream 7, but realistically OneDrive as it stands is back in the dark ages.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
I tweet @onedrive everyday asking them to bring placeholders back. Without them, you are separated from your files while using small drive devices like the Surface. There are over 17,000 votes on Uservoice asking Microsoft to bring them back. This has to be Microsoft's biggest bonehead move in history, ridding Windows 10 of placeholders. Anyways, the good news, according the Paul Thurrott, placeholders are returning with Redstone, Window's 10 next big update in 2016. We can only hope. Its too late for me as I bought cloud storage for my images on another service, but, for others that are handicapped because of some moron getting rid of placeholders, that's good news.

Sent from my Surface 3

MirthRock

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
I read somewhere on this site that the placeholders might be brought back during the Redstone update. I just can't find the article now...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
psyduck