SD Card Issues in Windows 10 mobile

mdivyakanth

Jun 28, 2015
Visit site
Hey Everyone,
I had been using SD card 32 gb ultra since 8.1 Denim update 1 . Now i'm in insider program from windows 10 m build.29 . I didn't have any problems then but after updating to wm10 build.63 my sd card showing 2 Tb in my phone , Where in PC 29 gb is showing raw and other dimensional memory showing un-allocated. I thought it was a bug .so... did several restarts, resets and hard resets too. Well I couldn't rollback due to some reasons .
So I've formatted using EaseUse partition Master more than 20 times but still i get weird folder with symbol names only after inserting in phone. I can't format to FAT32 file system only exfat. Finally i managed to format to FAT32 but whatever files stored in sd card showing unsupported format.
Help me Please. I don't care about the data in it.

Demian Mioc

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
I had similar issues with SD card 32GB Samsung on Insider .29. I begun noticing strange folders when SD card was inserted in phone. Formatting via Storage app didn't help. With SD card Adapter plug it into PC and format using NTFS with Default size in File Explorer. Try in your phone. If phone storage sense requests to format, do it, if not, use it in NTFS. Somehow Windows 10 mobile supports NTFS while 8.1 doesn't. If issues still persist plug SD card into PC again and format it first to NTFS and after that format it again into FAT32 with default size - that solved the issue for me. Another thing you can try if you have original SD card adapter try lock and unlock SD with that little pin on the side, moving it up and down, unlock, lock, unlock.
Note: You can update to latest insider build, which is .107, perform hard reset without using backup.

mdivyakanth

Jun 28, 2015
Visit site
I did update to lumia build .107 and did a reset without using backup

wp_ss_20160220_0002.png wp_ss_20160220_0003.pngwp_ss_20160220_0005.pngwp_ss_20160220_0004.png

Here my lumia Screenshots . To take screenshots i've to change my storage location to internal memory .
Is my memory card damaged or is this windows 10 doing ? I could clearly say my sd works i used it as a media storage. Anything stored in sd card can't recognized. All apps refuse to install or move in sd card . All files are corrupted when i insert in lumia. Until then i can access them without any issues. I even tried to insert in an Android Device to format . when I inserted my sd card android recognized sd card as errors.It ran kind of chkdsk suddenly my sd card disappeared but in pc it still shows in FAT32 file system. I don't know what to do . May be another update can solve this problem ? I would like to here your suggestions..

Demian Mioc

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
Try to format your sd card with Storage app. Open Storage>SD card scroll down and click format. See how is it doing after that. In your screenshots I've noticed Whatsapp folder on your SD card, you can't delete it because it always syncs with Whatsapp and creates message backup folder you are seeing. Uninstall Whatsapp and copy that folder somewhere else. Then format your card.
All your problems sound to me that you have a corrupt SD card. The card got corrupted most likely during the Windows 10 Mobile upgrade process. Same thing happened to me as I've stated before. Hard reset helped the phone to see the card, sd storage defaults were making problems. Don't run chkdsk! It will fix and put your SD into another state, making it unreadable for your PC or devices. To fix this go to My computer and right click on it. In context menu click Manage. Computer management opens, under left column, beneath Storage select Disk Management . If your card is plugged in your PC with SD card adapter it should be visible there as a FAt32. Right click on it and select format option. You need to select NTFS first. I don't know the manufacturer of your card so leave allocation size to default values. You can find on the internet best formatting values for your SD card. After it was formated put in into your phone.

mdivyakanth

Jun 28, 2015
Visit site
thanks for answering ....

I tried everything u said but I can't format using Storage app only possible in pc . I can't format to ntfs only exfat .After Number of struggles I managed to format it to FAT32 ..It's blank now but when i export photos or any other media to sd card (Sandisk Ultra class 10) i can't access them. As u said chkdsk doesn't help i tried before u did . Disk Management is useless. It was unable to format it .I tried to format using Easeuse Partition Master .So what i need to do ? How can i make my sd card work properly in my Lumia ? Please Leave your Suggestions.. I can't even take pics or listen to music.. can't store anything in my sd card. My sd card only exists in name but there is no life in it ?

Demian Mioc

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
You can try this one: Open your SD card in PC, in This PC click on View, and then Options>View options. In there enable show hidden files, and uncheck things below that they say hide empty drives, extensions. When done, open your SD card in PC. There should be some previously not visible files and folders. Delete them manually. If pop up appears and tells that you don't have permissions right click on that hidden folder and go to security. Search on the internet about how to access and how to set up advanced security options for File access denied folders. If they couldn't be deleted, use some software like Unlocker and delete them with it. Note that even after you format your SD card, in System volume information hidden folder there are still left 2 files, one is Indexer volume and other is WPsettings.dat. So factory format doesn't delete those files even after numerous formats and methods. I think that your card got corrupted and those WPsettings are one to blame for it. You need to completely remove those files, note that indexer volume creates itself again after the format. After that you can format your SD card with the method you already succeeded in your previous post. Try via Disk management and format it first. Let me know if this method worked.
If that won't help, try putting your SD into another phone, if it's corrupt you better have that thing replaced.

Last edited:

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Either try what Demian suggested or try formatting using diskpart commands on Windows. It's a bit advanced but mostly works.

mdivyakanth

Jun 28, 2015
Visit site
After Reading your suggestions I clearly understood that It's a big O.S. mess.

First I hardreset my phone without using backup and even removed sd card too. I installed all apps in my internal. As you said I tried to format my sd card(empty) in storage app and it worked. Then I inserted in my pc then i found 2 folders System Information...WPSYSTEM folder. I tried to delete WPsystem but I got an error The security ID structure is invalid (0x80070539) . Unlocker can't delete file. I tried to search in net but no solution. Tried to delete in Safe mode Worked !! hooray !!..

(GUI Mode) Then tried to format via Disk Management still not possible. even cmd format did n't work . With Easeuse partition Master Worked. Just inserted sd card in my lumia with few .jpg,.mp3 and mp4 files. Trying to see working or not .. Result is FAILURE.. Werid folders are back. I tried to move sd card .mp3 file to phone then tried playing it but got error " missing or corrupted file can't play". As Mentioned Wpsetting.dat is corrupting my sdcard. From Yesterday onwards i used as it a media storage in pc. There is no issue but now it's back. I've decided i'm gonna wait until official build w10mobile to release may be update can solve this (Oh! plz) if not i get it replace. I'd b please to hear more suggestions ...

Atleast thanks for answering .... .

Last edited:

mdivyakanth

Jun 28, 2015
Visit site
Hey guys,
It's seems my issue as it mentioned above with my sd card can't be solved. I thought windows 10 mobile preview one to blame . So I just rollback to windows 8.1.1. Yeah I know after using windows 8.1 look pretty much simple even more than before but full stable O.S. is awesome .It is smooth ,fast and perfectly tailored for your device especially for 512 m devices.To the Sd Card issue still there isn't any change . I formatted in lumia (wp8.1) hope it would help and followed above instructions still nothing. So I'm replacing my Sd card .. Anyone Who's facing same issue as me try formatting, hard resets if doesn't solve like me then replace your sd card .Please remove your sd cards before updating your devices. Enjoy.

I hope MICROSOFT would do something about this and come up with Solution.

Thanks for Demian for suggestions.

MDivyaKanth

tishoy005

Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
Try to format your sd card with Storage app. Open Storage>SD card scroll down and click format. See how is it doing after that. In your screenshots I've noticed Whatsapp folder on your SD card, you can't delete it because it always syncs with Whatsapp and creates message backup folder you are seeing. Uninstall Whatsapp and copy that folder somewhere else. Then format your card.
All your problems sound to me that you have a corrupt SD card. The card got corrupted most likely during the Windows 10 Mobile upgrade process. Same thing happened to me as I've stated before. Hard reset helped the phone to see the card, sd storage defaults were making problems. Don't run chkdsk! It will fix and put your SD into another state, making it unreadable for your PC or devices. To fix this go to My computer and right click on it. In context menu click Manage. Computer management opens, under left column, beneath Storage select Disk Management . If your card is plugged in your PC with SD card adapter it should be visible there as a FAt32. Right click on it and select format option. You need to select NTFS first. I don't know the manufacturer of your card so leave allocation size to default values. You can find on the internet best formatting values for your SD card. After it was formated put in into your phone.

tishoy005

Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
I did update to lumia build .107 and did a reset without using backup

View attachment 122575 View attachment 122576View attachment 122577View attachment 122578

Here my lumia Screenshots . To take screenshots i've to change my storage location to internal memory .
Is my memory card damaged or is this windows 10 doing ? I could clearly say my sd works i used it as a media storage. Anything stored in sd card can't recognized. All apps refuse to install or move in sd card . All files are corrupted when i insert in lumia. Until then i can access them without any issues. I even tried to insert in an Android Device to format . when I inserted my sd card android recognized sd card as errors.It ran kind of chkdsk suddenly my sd card disappeared but in pc it still shows in FAT32 file system. I don't know what to do . May be another update can solve this problem ? I would like to here your suggestions..

mamun ahmed

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
I am suffering from same problem, when I insert any file to my sd card then it shows unsupported to open. I have no option to replace the sd card , please give a solution to work it perfectly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon