Any 'sane' reason for not having double tap on 950's and 550

Boris Lozac

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
I just can't get my head around this. You don't enable double tap to wake for the three phones you ship on the market directly with Windows 10, two of those are flagships. And you have it on insider unoficiall builds on older phones..

Someone please explain this logic.

Zhenren Zhou

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
I am guessing it's either hardware limitation or a feature they will add in in the future OS updates. But for now, lacking this feature doesn't affect me at all.

Boris Lozac

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
I am guessing it's either hardware limitation or a feature they will add in in the future OS updates. But for now, lacking this feature doesn't affect me at all.

I'm glad for you. It affects me a lot after 2.5 years on L520, a feature that was pretty much connected to the Lumia brand, now everyone has it but a few years ago it was a cool feature only Nokia had. Now their brand new phones don't have it.. Hardware limitation on 950 and 950xl? Lumia 520 is a power-house eh..

Zhenren Zhou

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
As I recall it has something to do with the screen. If the screen supports it, then it should be enabled through OS updates, otherwise..

Anyway, sorry you have to adapt to a new "style" of waking up your phone.

lankylars

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
I have read elsewhere, all peoples' speculation, that it is down to the screen type. The particular technology used in the new Lumia screens doesn't support the tap function when off or something. Seems to me that there should be an accelerometer workaround if that is indeed the case. I got used to having double tap to wake on my WP 8.1 HTC One M8 (and an Android tablet) and really miss it on the 950 XL.

Joel Gaviola

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Wait. So there's no double tap to wake for the new phones? Ack. This is a deal breaker for me. 😕

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
From what I understand, Microsoft made a decision not to implement this feature, believing that people would prefer Glance instead.

As with most things in Windows 10, using the feeback app to suggest or upvote existing suggestions is a great idea. Items with more votes get more attention.

Describing the lack of this feature as a "deal breaker" seems (at least to me) to be excessive. For me, it's nothing more than a very mild annoyance.

Joel Gaviola

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I may have overreacted but using it with the 920, 1020, and 1520 have made me reliant on it (the G4 has the double tap to wake and sleep). It's a minor quibble but it was convenient. It's good that they didn't remove Glance. It's what made me steer clear of the 930.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
After much time with the 930, double tap was a bit hit and miss. The amount of times I double tapped with the phone in my left hand, only to have to do it a few times, bugged the hell out of me. On a hard service it worked ok. I gave up and used power button or Hey Cortana. I would rather have glance on my 950xl. Despite my band getting notifications, it's not always possible, when driving to get a sleeve pulled up. At least with glance I can tell if it's an email etc. Texts aren't an issue as she reads them out. I don't need to touch my phone when driving, and I check mails when stationary.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Always worked for me on various Lumia devices since its introduction and frankly is one of the features I would not do without, especially on a windows phone. Clear reason for me to bypass these phones with that feature missing.

Rupert Holmes

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Seriously? Pressing the power button is much faster than double tapping your screen to unlock your phone.
I want to see you do that with one finger, while the phone is laying on a desk. No misplaced button can replace the tap. I up voted every chance I had, once I realized that the XL did not have it. That was Nov. 23, finally gave up sent it back in Jan. 2016.

Mike Nelson5

Jul 6, 2015
Visit site
From what I understand, Microsoft made a decision not to implement this feature, believing that people would prefer Glance instead.

As with most things in Windows 10, using the feeback app to suggest or upvote existing suggestions is a great idea. Items with more votes get more attention.

Describing the lack of this feature as a "deal breaker" seems (at least to me) to be excessive. For me, it's nothing more than a very mild annoyance.

Wait a second my 2 year old 1520 has double tap plus glance plus visual voice mail plus gestures beta which I love and it's non existent in W10M non of these features made it on to the latest and greatest flagship by Microsoft which cost almost 700.00 except glance....not acceptable and I don't blame him. If it can be implemented in a 2 year old flagship there is absolutely no reason its not there in the current flagship and I think that's the part that's hard to swallow when you drop 7 bills on a phone.

Rupert Holmes

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
I may have overreacted but using it with the 920, 1020, and 1520 have made me reliant on it (the G4 has the double tap to wake and sleep). It's a minor quibble but it was convenient. It's good that they didn't remove Glance. It's what made me steer clear of the 930.
No, you have not, I had the XL first day, wonderful hardware. I just could not carry it, I was always tapping the screen. No misplaced button can replace the tap. Kept leaving it at home and carrying the 1020 w/8.1, still am. XL went back in Jan. All I wanted was a faster 1020, but no.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon