Upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10?

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
I have a relatively new-ish HP Envy Phoenix desktop that I bought in late 2014, that came with Windows 8 on-board.

I've since gone to Win 8.1, along with using Stardock software (Start8 and Fences), and it works fine, no problem.

A few months ago, I did do the upgrade to Windows 10 and while it ran fine initially, started giving me driver and blue screen shut down errors, but I was luckily able to recover my PC by reverting to Windows 8.1. Surprisingly, HP, along with Nvidia offered little guidance about offering the latest drivers compatible with 10, with my particular configuration, on the HP site.

So now, I have it running fine again, on 8.1; with the Windows 10 free offer coming to an end this Summer, should I try another attempt at upgrading to 10? I can't think of, right now, any viable reason to. I wasn't too impressed with the Cortana functionality when I was on 10----I tend to turn all that stuff off anyway---and I've never used Windows apps, either on Windows 8 or 10.

In a manner of speaking, can anybody sell me on W10?

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I have a relatively new-ish HP Envy Phoenix desktop that I bought in late 2014, that came with Windows 8 on-board.

I've since gone to Win 8.1, along with using Stardock software (Start8 and Fences), and it works fine, no problem.

A few months ago, I did do the upgrade to Windows 10 and while it ran fine initially, started giving me driver and blue screen shut down errors, but I was luckily able to recover my PC by reverting to Windows 8.1. Surprisingly, HP, along with Nvidia offered little guidance about offering the latest drivers compatible with 10, with my particular configuration, on the HP site.

So now, I have it running fine again, on 8.1; with the Windows 10 free offer coming to an end this Summer, should I try another attempt at upgrading to 10? I can't think of, right now, any viable reason to. I wasn't too impressed with the Cortana functionality when I was on 10----I tend to turn all that stuff off anyway---and I've never used Windows apps, either on Windows 8 or 10.

In a manner of speaking, can anybody sell me on W10?

you can try the upgrade now since a lot of new updates have come through including the major update that came in November. So stability should be improved
The new mail app is quite good as well the excellent edge browser.
What's more is that you'll continue to receive updates that increase functionality like extensions in edge and continuous updates for core apps.
Simplified settings
Those are the ones I can think of at the moment

You can revert to 8.1 if you don't like W10 but only if you do it in less than a month after upgrading to 10

BB-JAM215

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
I suggest you go to Control Panel: Device Manager and check that your are using the latest driver versions for your motherboard. You should be able to search for updated drivers on the Internet from the Device Manager. You should also be able to see which nVidia graphic chip you are using, then go to the nVidia Support web page a see if a newer version is needed for Windiows 10. You should be able to find the latest chipset drivers from the HP Support pages.

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
I've already done so.
My graphics card, an Nvidia GeForce GTX 645, has a driver update from mid 2015 available, already have the latest.

But when I check my model and configuration on the HP website, I get the below image, which I gather, it isn't fully officially compatible with Windows 10. Again, I bought it in late 2014, running Windows 8 out of the box:

HP Envy Phoenix-Windows 10.JPG

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes