Why has my internet usage drastically increased with new computer?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

My internet usage has drastically increased with new computer.

IN 10 days I have used up 90% of my internet time. No difference in what I do on the internet. Facebook, shop, gmail. that's about it. But such a difference since I purchased a new Hp with windows 10. Do items run that I am not aware of. Can I turn them off?

VigneshB

Jun 5, 2016
Visit site
re:

Windows 10 does have a spike in network usage, but it is not that significant.
Use a network bandwidth monitor to check what is using up your resources.
Probably it's a malware. Or Windows updates downloading the cumulative updates, drivers etc and the store updating the apps. On a brand new PC with version 1511 installed, these cumulative updates can take up around 650+MB.

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
re:

Is your windows update running? You can check which apps are running with help of a firewall(like Comodo, Zonealarm), check the monitoring tabs. Allow/deny apps whichever wants to access internet.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
re:

IN 10 days I have used up 90% of my internet time. No difference in what I do on the internet. Facebook, shop, gmail. that's about it. But such a difference since I purchased a new Hp with windows 10. Do items run that I am not aware of. Can I turn them off?

go to settings > privacy >apps that can run in background and disable those you don't need
Also, you can set your internet connection as metered to reduce data usage
And finally, yes, some apps might be updating in background

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.

Ecm

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm a little late coming to this, but here's another possibility. By default, the Win10 update uses your PC & bandwidth to seed the update to others!

Clipboard01.jpg

Go to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update > Advanced Options > Choose how updates are delivered. Toggle that off or select the local PCs option only.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kenneatler