Emergency Contact Information

narv

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
In light of some recent events here in the states, got me thinking. Does W10M have an "emergency contacts' feature like iOS and Android have? I feel something like this should be a top priority for Microsoft if it's a missing feature...

I know you can call 911 and make "emergency calls" without unlocking the phone but should have a place to list and call family in the event of an emergency.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
In light of some recent events here in the states, got me thinking. Does W10M have an "emergency contacts' feature like iOS and Android have? I feel something like this should be a top priority for Microsoft if it's a missing feature...

I know you can call 911 and make "emergency calls" without unlocking the phone but should have a place to list and call family in the event of an emergency.

As we in Italy are doing since years, we put a ICE sign in our emergency contacts aftern name in our paper notebooks and phone books. Easy. So other people, police and paramedics can easly open phone and call
There's no need of an app, simply of a brain ;)

EDIT: ICE, In Caso d'Emergenza, In Case of Emergency

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yes, having contact details on a card or something on your person is the preferred option.

The problem is with having an emergency number system is that emergency services need to know how to use it. Most of the time, phones would be protected by a PIN/biometric, which means those details are protected. Having an unprotected phone just isn't an option. A phone may also run out of charge, use a non-standard messaging system, or just be missing/damaged.

In years past, having "ICE" contacts on your Nokia feature phone was a fad for a while. Emergency services when looking at a phone would usually look for simple names like "mother/father/etc".

There's some things that you shouldn't trust to an electronic device.

Rinsun

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
How about having the emergency contact number on your lockscreen ? It can be done by using an app such as 'lockscreen texter lite' or some other lockscreen note app.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
How about having the emergency contact number on your lockscreen ? It can be done by using an app such as 'lockscreen texter lite' or some other lockscreen note app.

This still assumes that your phone has power. If you've been left in a ditch for a few days, that's not likely (at least with running windows 10 mobile).

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
This still assumes that your phone has power. If you've been left in a ditch for a few days, that's not likely (at least with running windows 10 mobile).
AH ah ah ah ...

Never seen a phone till now lasting days, except old feature Symbians.
I'm sure my survivor got a cig-lighter charger or a usb port in his veichle ;)

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Don't count on it.

If you think about it, if something serious happens to you, the emergency services/police will look for any identification on you and send someone to the address - or they'll look up the registered owner of the vehicle and go there (assuming there's no witnesses). If there's a phone next to you, there's no evidence to say that it's your phone and not someone else's.

If you're not seriously injured, you'll just be handed your phone when you wake up so you'll be able to contact someone yourself.

Rinsun

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site

Yes that's true.It is always safe to have some non electronic identity on you ,preferably waterproof,in case of a disaster/calamity.
Emergency contact number on lockscreen may not help if phone is broken in the process of a mishap.

Dan12R

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
One thing to note with the advancements of biometrics is that even if the user isn't awake, they can be, in theory, used to unlock a device. So something like ICE marked contacts would be helpful.

And yes, while there are scenarios where the phone may be damaged or dead, having some capability in this regard would be helpful. Perhaps the battery is dead. Emergency services could charge it while they look for other methods to identify proper contacts. And to write off a solution because in some cases the phone may be damaged ignores the benefits it would provide if that's not the case in a particular situation.

There are really two big barriers on this: 1. Making it secure. How do we ensure the solution isn't misused? 2. Education. And this is not only for users but those in emergency services. Unfortunately, Windows doesn't have the largest mobile market share.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
You can use a case (clear, wallet style, slot for a business/credit card, Duct Tape) that will allow you to put your ICE info with pic on it and you can insert it into your case, a lot of cases out there will allow this.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes