W10M on Unsupported Phones is Done?

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
It was done since they announced that some devices could not handle w10m...

"As stated before, unsupported devices will not receive any builds or updates newer than 10586.x"

So basically if you're on the release preview ring or production ring, you can stay on it, but there will no longer be any updates for you. That's what it means.

The interesting bit is "Unsupported devices can still use the Windows Device Recovery Tool to recover to Windows Phone 8.1, but will not have the option to return to Windows 10 Mobile".

So basically any old/unsupported device, that didn't have the TH builds installed, before this move happens, will be stuck on 8.1 and won't even be able to get the TH builds :/

Abhinaba Hazra

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site
It was done since they announced that some devices could not handle w10m...

"As stated before, unsupported devices will not receive any builds or updates newer than 10586.x"

So basically if you're on the release preview ring or production ring, you can stay on it, but there will no longer be any updates for you. That's what it means.

The interesting bit is "Unsupported devices can still use the Windows Device Recovery Tool to recover to Windows Phone 8.1, but will not have the option to return to Windows 10 Mobile".

So basically any old/unsupported device, that didn't have the TH builds installed, before this move happens, will be stuck on 8.1 and won't even be able to get the TH builds :/

I am running TH2 on my Lumia 630 & i don't want to roll back to WP 8.1 as in W10M i got some quality apps which are not available in WP 8.1. What is worrying me is that after 2nd August will those app stop functioning in unsupported devices ? If not then what types of problems we can face in future? I don't care about new OS updates,only want 3rd party apps in working condition.

Last edited:

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I am running TH2 on my Lumia 630 & i don't want to roll back to WP 8.1 as in W10M i got some quality apps which are not available in WP 8.1. What is worrying me is that after 2nd August will those app stop functioning in unsupported devices ? If not then what types of problems we can face in future? I don't care about new OS updates,only want 3rd party apps in working condition.

It should continue to work just fine.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Everything will continue to function.

The only looming issue is that if you were to replace your phone or need to restore it using the WDRT on a PC then you'd lose 10 and wouldn't be able to easily upgrade again.

nedarata

May 5, 2015
Visit site
somehow missed article about this on WC
did ms just gave 2 days notice?
so if i reset my "unsupported" phone what version will i get?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
somehow missed article about this on WC
did ms just gave 2 days notice?
so if i reset my "unsupported" phone what version will i get?

I'm not sure about the 2 days... This was long deduced by thoughtful observers, The announcement just made it fomalized.

Hard Reset and Factory Reset return you to the exact version on the phone at the time of Reset. WDRT returns you to 8.1.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I kind of wonder, if they'll turn this back on, since I bet a LOT of people doing dev. work were using older phones, that fall into this category.
Big bummer, having to go out and buy phones now, to continue doing testing and such (emulators are great, for some things, but not final, IMHO).

In the defense of the current state though, these phones were never really supposed to be able to run Threshold (even though most of us know they do, just fine, we have an M8 and 1020 in our family, happily running 494), so MS was sort of letting these "slip through the cracks", I'm sure knowingly.
I bet they have all the telemetry on installs, and know more or less exactly how many of each phone model is/was running Threshold.
Hopefully, they'll see the benefit, both for developers, and for additional bug reporting, of re-enabling these phones.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, this is why I moved our phones forward onto Threshold, through 494, so they wouldn't get "left behind".

Time will tell though, I wouldn't be surprised of the there's another branch on Insider for these, stranger things have happened...
If you think about it, it's going to be a headache for MS too, to have phones back on 8.x, while all the newer services are targeted at 10.x...

nedarata

May 5, 2015
Visit site
If you think about it, it's going to be a headache for MS too, to have phones back on 8.x, while all the newer services are targeted at 10.x...
for 8.x it will be exactly like in 7.8 days
ms will say there will be 18 months mainstream support
and after 18 months and 0 updates it will end

Jack Neill

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
I was afraid of this, not a big deal but I had hoped that they would at least let you get 10586+. My 920 works great on 494. Why cant we have this on Insider at our own risk? Please?

If they can release updates for 10240 on PC they can keep unsupported phones on 10586.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
cmon guys stop beating the dead horse, from now on just go right to hacking forums, they will probably release custom RS1-2-3 roms and so on and easy tutorials-utilities to keep that old lumia running until microsoft moves mobile to x86 or something

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
You know there really is no point in being sarcastic when someone is only trying to help you :/

In any case... If you're on TH builds and are worried about apps, well ..............................

The store has a "device requirement" section now. This means that developers could technically start building apps which are only meant for RS supported device, but so far that hasn't been the case.

This could change tho.. so, if anything, that should be your main fear

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes