Are delays killing the momentum W10M has?

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
I did not state that there was a lot of momentum. Even 0.1% momentum can be considered sth. You do have to start somewhere :)

Neither did justonlumia. He asked where the momentum was. I don't see any at all, in fact Microsoft's smartphone market share has crashed in the past couple of years and seems to be dropping back all the time. Even now I suspect there are a few people who stay faithful because of the Nokia connections and when the revamped Nokia firm start shipping Android phones I can see a lot more people jumping ship.

Just a few observations, but Samsung and Apple have new flagships out now or any day soon and we're stuck with the 950 and 950XL. Don't get me wrong, I think they're great phones but the only new significant Windows phone on the market that I am aware of is the HP x3. That looks like a fantastic piece of kit, but frankly given the bargain basement price of the 950XL at the moment I can't see why anybody would want to spend double the amount on the x3 when you can buy the 950XL so cheaply now.

The actual prices are also worrying. ?339 for the XL with a free Display Dock worth ?80 in the UK is fantastic if you're buying, but with the top Android and Apple phones costing double that amount it either smacks of desperation and suggests there are massive overstocks, or Microsoft has a couple of fantastic new flagships imminent, and I think we all know it's not likely to be the latter.

Even when they do bring out something new they seriously need to update the design from the understated looks of the current flagships. I'm happy with it but new buyers are looking for something that will attract them to the phone visually to begin with; first impressions and all that. I'm an accidental convert, having gone out to possibly buy an LG G3 and coming home with a Lumia 930 but it only happened because the G3 was out of stock and the store had a working model of the Lumia on display. That won me over, otherwise I would probably still be on Android.

To be honest I'm kicking myself for upgrading to the 950 six months ago because if I had thought the XL was going to drop in price so much and come with a free dock I would have waited. I can't see WP disappearing in the short term, if only because of Continuum, but are we going to go back to the days when only niche models like the x3 exist?

I'm always defending the platform when I read all these "Windows Phone is dead" articles but the worrying thing is if Microsoft have to drop prices so low for something that in my opinion outperforms any iPhone, and have nothing new lined up then it would appear to be cause for concern.

I've always found it odd that they never marketed the platform more aggressively in the face of all the negative reviews which has clearly given the public the misconception that the phones are a lot worse than they really are, but around the time of the Nokia deal a couple of years ago there did appear to be some momentum building. That now seems to have disappeared completely and the only positive thing I have seen is that 3 out of the 4 main UK networks now carry the Lumia 950 (previously only 2 of them did), but only one is carrying the 950XL although that's one more than the beginning of the year.

That's on EE UK network but it's not an attractive deal at ?56 a month on a 24 month unlimited plan (10GB data), bearing in mind the cost of buying it sim free, so they're not going to sell many. The same network has a similar deal on the iPhone 6s Plus and the Galaxy Note 7 so few people are going to chose the Lumia.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I just think about the surface, Remember Microsoft took over most of the tablet market or should I say windows did, and Microsoft can easy come back with a new phone, but question is should it be android? or allow a android store, android basically copied windows that's how it got so big.
You're forgetting that the Surface Tablet never had an app problem (ignoring the RT version of course) i.e. Regular desktop Windows is already top dog as far as that is concerned. Hardware was also never the problem for Windows Phone, it's the apps as has been reiterated countless times before. If UWP eventually solves the app situation then it stands a chance, but that doesn't look like that will happen any time soon.

The surface Phone is just going to be a more premium version of the 950/950XL unless it somehow brings something else to the table. I just can't see what they could possibly add that would make it a hot item.

anon(9995211)

Aug 15, 2016
Visit site
More than the delays, it is the poor participation of OEMs and developers that kills the momentum for W10m. Personally, I don't care for the app-gap, since most websites' mobile interface is a lot like an app which is sufficient. Yet, a normal user is turned off each time he/she sees an app supporting only iOS/Android or some app ending support for Windows.
Then, there aren't many options out there for W10M. Yes, there are some 20 companies announcing windows mobile devices but unless the big players support it, the momentum will die down.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Personally, I don't care for the app-gap, since most websites' mobile interface is a lot like an app which is sufficient. Yet, a normal user is turned off each time he/she sees an app supporting only iOS/Android or some app ending support for Windows..
Where an app is superior is for hardware specific features like the ability to scan barcodes with a store app etc

Danobe

Jun 2, 2016
Visit site
To be honest, I worry more about getting used to a feature, and then suddenly have to do without that feature because they suddenly pull it.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Whilst we are used to the delays it would have been nice to at least get a new Insider build to satiate us all in the wake of the new iPhone 7 today.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Whilst we are used to the delays it would have been nice to at least get a new Insider build to satiate us all in the wake of the new iPhone 7 today.

There was an update pushed out for the release preview and slow rings :)

Fast ring will most likely be next week

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EdgiHudi