Continuum Overscan Problem. Micorosoft needs to fix this!!

maxmin

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
I recently got a 950XL on Ebay. I love the phone! It also came with a Display Dock so I could check out Continuum. Continuum is very cool and would love to use it.

However, big problem! There is no way to adjust overscan!

Overscan is a situation with TV monitors where the actual video displayed cuts off the edges. This is done on purpose for broadcast and cable TV where the edges used to contain extraneous signals. It's really a hold over from the old video formats. Many newer TVs have an adjustment for this in the video settings. However many don't have this setting. I have 3 TVs that I use as occasional PC monitors (1 older high end and 2 smaller, more recent TVs) and none of them have this adjustment.

My PC has an Intel graphics chip and Intel has software to adjust screen dimensions. And the software knows each TV and remembers the settings for each. Windows Mobile needs this adjustment! BASICALLY CONTINUUM IS WORTHLESS FOR ME BECAUSE I CAN'T EVEN SEE THE START BUTTON!

I read somewhere that on initial startup of the Display Dock/950 XL there is some kind of adjustment offered ONLY ONCE. I have never seen that (I guess since my phone is used) . Some comments related to this issue have said a hard reset of the phone would allow access to this setting. IT DOES NOT! I used the Device Recovery Tool on this phone and was never asked about adjusting the overscan/aspect ratio.

If anyone has a solution for this I would be pleased if they could share it. Hopefully, before I sell my Display Dock on Ebay.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Now I'm not sure how to fix this, I have the same issue with one of my TV's and would love to hear about a solution too. However, the point of my post is that I'm hoping you also went to the Feedback app and left some so that Microsoft can help fix this issue (or add this feature). Please. :D

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I have the opposite problem on my Roku 2, so my problem could be your solution. :) When I project to my Roku it outputs something like a 3:2 aspect ratio resolution, with black bars on the side. I have been looking for a way to change the output resolution, but so far no luck.

daimv

May 21, 2015
Visit site
Have you tried the configuration in your phone's continuum settings? i.e. when you're on the continuum app that gives you the touchpad, click the three dots "..." in the upper right corner and go to the second option, then at the bottom theres an option to adjust the screen. Check if that helps you.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried the configuration in your phone's continuum settings? i.e. when you're on the continuum app that gives you the touchpad, click the three dots "..." in the upper right corner and go to the second option, then at the bottom theres an option to adjust the screen. Check if that helps you.
Not sure if this was directed at me, but thanks, I didn't know that option existed. In my case the "Choose a fit" options (fill/fit/stretch/center) don't change a thing. I suspect the phone is sending the Roku a standard resolution, so either the 950XL is limited in what it can send, or the Roku is only allowing/requesting particular resolutions, connected TV resolution be damned. Connecting to the same TV using the continuum dock works perfectly fine though.

daimv

May 21, 2015
Visit site
Then maybe that setting only affects the background image come to think of it...
With the Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter v2, there is an app where you can control firmware updates and other stuff, including overscan problems if I remember correctly. Microsoft should release a similar app for the Display Dock :/

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes